why so narrow?

Any problems, requests or comments regarding the site can go in here.

why so narrow?

Postby John_Doe on Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:49 am

why is this board so narrow? it only fills half of my screen, with lots of stars on each side. any reason for this?

I was posting viewtopic.php?t=115 and was kinda anoyed that the links didn't fit on one line.
Ahh.. no offence, but you are a robot, aren't you?
John_Doe
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:09 am

because that's how the theme was made. Unavoidable until I install some mods to parse long input to a multiple lines. I have sorted the image resize probably. Anything posted over 550 pixels is shrunk to 550 pixels
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:13 am

ps that particular problem is easily fixable, you aren't using properly formed ed2k links, so you can simply either copy the links HTML or do it manually yourself (like I've done in 0.1 seconds flat):

Code: Select all
ed2k://

=
Code: Select all
<a href="ed2k://">Link</a>

If you copy the link in emule with html, it will also parse . to " " which means the links can be wrapped around. The reason why those particular links didn't wrap around is because they are just one long string with no spaces.

There's a mod to fix this anyhow, I'll have a luck to see if it does it fine.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby d0c on Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:02 pm

the board design is made in 800x600 thats why it is so narrow.. just try and set you screen resolution to 800x600 and you will see it fits perfect ;)
i preffer little sites that dont take up whola screen when i use the 1024x768 resolution, so for me its perfect..
d0c
The Ninth Passenger

Postby MCMLXXXVIII on Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:17 pm

I'm on a TFT at 1280 so resizing isn't an option, but it's not too bad. I can always increase the text size a bit.
MCMLXXXVIII
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:58 pm

I've got it on an expensive TFT monitor @ 1600x1200 here :lol: It's still fine to me, my monitor is hella cool so the text is really sharp. I also run opera with the hotlist bar on one side, and open pages on the other so I guess I'm cheating :lol:. Although i was annoyed about the image resizing, the 'new topics logos' and the links issue too.

The image problems I've solved easily by modifying a template style to resize anything over 550pixels (the max size of the width). This is actually damn cool, so no matter what size image you post it will always go to the correct size for the site. There was another method I was running for a second or two for the eagle eyed, which simply put the image in a table with a navigation bar, but I think the resizing is much better.

The new topics logos were replaced with something more manageable, a resized version of the private message images (as per request from Bassline).

The link issue is something I'll get sorted, there are mods I see to force wrap round. I know people are too lazy to edit links to get em working, so I'll be looking at install that in a tick :)

ps. d0c your avatar is cool... go get em bilbo! :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby John_Doe on Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:52 pm

so you wont install a mod and let it be sized after the resolution, like on HHAH?
John_Doe
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:00 pm

John_Doe wrote:so you wont install a mod and let it be sized after the resolution, like on HHAH?
erm, I'm not sure what your getting at. There's no such thing, the only way to get it to be sized like that is to use another theme
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby John_Doe on Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:15 pm

well that's silly!!.no way to change that? I tried changing theme now. can't see much difference though.

rather dumb to only use half of the screem for text, and get long posts to be vertically LONG as well...
John_Doe
The Ninth Passenger

Postby d0c on Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:33 pm

@john, i think you missunderstand the designers idea of why he made it narrow, the idea of making a theme like this is to give the 800x600 resolution people a chance to see the whola forum also. there are alot of people that still use that resolution... anyway i still like the theme very much its very good..
d0c
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:36 pm

it was designed to look like that, and no, its actually very sound design to have a fixed table ratio for a design such as the Solaris theme.

The drawbacks are, because of all the overlying images, and the basic design layout it would be idiotic to enable % based column widths, the graphics would look a mess as soon as the page is loaded.

Subsilver is up and running anyways. Its a less graphically intensive theme so suitable for low bandwidth users too :)

Suggestions for themes are welcomed if you have any in mind.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby John_Doe on Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:07 pm

ahh.. now the theme change worked. guess I had to leave and come back again.
John_Doe
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:13 pm

no I had override users theme checked in options and hadn't got round to unchecking it. :oops:

If there's a simple theme that anyone has in mind, please point me to it and I'll see if its worth an install.

Wrap arond text is something I'll work on.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby John_Doe on Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:07 am

I know nothing about themes, but must say I really loved that Solaris look. Only such a shame it's virtually useless for me.
Last edited by John_Doe on Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John_Doe
The Ninth Passenger

Postby d0c on Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:18 am

i tryed the subsilver now, what a crap, i feel a bit retro here lol.. but its fast :)
d0c
The Ninth Passenger

Postby TurnIP on Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:56 pm

Solaris looks great but gives me a headache when I try to read something, so I'm using subsilver now :roll:
TurnIP
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby Jynks on Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:17 pm

BBtech style looks pretty shiny metal futura kinda thing.. plus has the normal width... though solaris matches the sci-fi theme the best.
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:17 pm

thx jynks. Well I'm using this style when all the bugs are ironed out, but I guess its good to have a bit of choice for those with naff monitors, low bandwidth, etc.

BBtech I will check out :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby spudthedestroyer on Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:47 pm

there's an alien type theme installed now too, just testing some out. It's kinda trippy lol.

Not the most beautiful thing ever, but really simple graphics and alieny feeling. If I had time I'd try my hand at making a theme, but I'm too busy recently :(
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby John_Doe on Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:30 am

tried it out. Reminds me of the x-files. I'll use this one as long as there is no other.. At least it looks different from Fileheaven.

But I'm sorry to be so dumb and not understand this, but can it really be so hard to just make a small modification to the solaris theme so that it will use all the screen?
John_Doe
The Ninth Passenger

Next

Return to Site Help & Development