Doctor Who (2005)

Scif-fi Series... Farscape, Star Trek, Sliders, etc.

Moderator: Misc Mods

Postby MyK on Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:37 am

I agree, you have a point there... It's just hard for me to ignore the fact that since the SciFi channel took over the show it has gone downstream ever since. OK, SciFi Channel is well know for producing real stinkers only Hallmark can compete with but I kinda hoped they'd keep what good was introduced in the first series of The New Doctor and up it from there. They've done quite the opposite IMO (with a few exceptions I mentioned in my previous post). And since there are so many Dr. Who like shows (spin-offs, run-offs, whatever) in production (particularly The Sarah Jane Adventures), one would hope they'd target more mature audience. The last ep I saw was kids stuff :(
"The products suck! There's no sex in them anymore!" (Steve Jobs)
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby Jynks on Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:18 pm

I agree with MyK on this... , i know wonders never cease. The old Doctor who was very mature.. even slightly horrific. Strong adult themes were expressed in the show witch the new format simply will NEVER have time to look into. Instead of a story being 3 hours long presented in 6 parts or whatever they cram everything into 1 episode. They had to cut stuff out, so they have focused on quirky, faster passed stuff rather than far out cool concepts.

While I love the doctor, it is nothing compared to what it used to be.
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby MyK on Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:08 pm

Doctor Who S03E02 "The Shakespeare Code" (iNTERNAL, WS PDTV, XviD, FoV ~ 348 MB):
ed2k link: ed2k: Doctor.Who.S03E02.The.Shakespeare.Code.iNTERNAL.WS.PDTV.XviD-FoV.avi  [347.98 Mb] [Stats]
Torrent (Mininova): http://www.mininova.org/tor/652637
Torrent (BT-Chat): http://www.bt-chat.com/download.php?inf ... 07b435f844
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby MyK on Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:27 pm

Another rip if you don't like INTERNALs :mrgreen:

ed2k: Doctor.Who.2005.S03E02.The.Shakespeare.Code.WS.PDTV.XviD-BLNT.avi  [353.85 Mb] [Stats]

* So what's the difference between internal and BLNT rip? Well as far as I can tell internal is 1 minute 6 seconds shorter and I think it's missing that much of its beginning :? I need to check that so if you're in no hurry wait till I DL both of them and I'll let you know ;)

EDIT: OK, just checked both releases and the internal one is missing some 45 seconds of its beginning. The remaining length difference must be due to end credits cut short :? If you started downloading the internal version and don't want to start new download stick with it, it's good quality and you won't miss much.
Spoiler:
There's some dude playing a serenade on a lute under the window of some babe
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby Morbius on Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:58 pm

Jynks wrote:I agree with MyK on this... , i know wonders never cease. The old Doctor who was very mature.. even slightly horrific. Strong adult themes were expressed in the show witch the new format simply will NEVER have time to look into. Instead of a story being 3 hours long presented in 6 parts or whatever they cram everything into 1 episode. They had to cut stuff out, so they have focused on quirky, faster passed stuff rather than far out cool concepts..

I haven't actually been arguing one way or the other about how good or bad it is. Until now I was just disputing MyK's comments about it having become an American franchise.

Aside from that, I agree to an extent, but I suspect a lot of it's down to the fact that I watch the new version sober. I also think that we tend to compare each episode with the best of the old ones, and cut them a lot more slack. A lot of the old series wasn't that great, and a lot was pretty silly.

In the old version the great majority of the stories were in four parts, and typically these were about 22 minutes of actual content, compared with about 44 minutes in the new series. So a new two-parter is very close to the length of a traditional story. Last year, about half the episodes were in this form. (I do miss the cliff-hangers though).
Morbius
Skutter

Postby MyK on Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:35 am

There's still way too much explanation what's actually going on in it IMO. It looks like they started each season as if it was a standalone. I mean, every few episodes there's one chick fascinated by the fact that Tardis is larger on the inside than what it shows from outside and also the name itself gets explained on a more regular basis that what it used to. There are also loads of other IMHO unnecessary explanations. If you trim that from 44 minutes you'll still end up with some 1/2 of it being new and 1/2 of it being old. So what you describe as two new doctors in a row being equal to four old ones doesn't hold much water to me and as the state of this show is ATM it's simply not good enough for most of us here that are familiar with this series for a long time now. It's either dumbed down or made for uninitiated, like kids or a whole new market segment. I'm sorry but that's just my position and whatever the real reason behind it it sure looks the way I described it to me. Although I value your opinion and I appreciate some additional info you brought with you (and you look like someone that knows what you're taking about), it doesn't change my position. I'm a stubborn bastard :lol: I want my old doctor back, f*** the second opinion ;) :P
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby violenceha on Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:30 am

There's too much running for my liking. I enjoys the new stuff, but really does the doctor and whoever happens to be his assistant at the time have to spend half of every episode running around?
violenceha
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby richrich on Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:30 pm

richrich
Smeghead!

Postby richrich on Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:07 pm

richrich
Smeghead!

Postby Jynks on Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:52 am

I really like the new assistant though.... that last slag rose was such a slapper!!!
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby MyK on Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:36 pm

MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby richrich on Sun May 06, 2007 5:49 am

richrich
Smeghead!

Postby richrich on Sat May 19, 2007 9:16 pm

richrich
Smeghead!

Postby richrich on Sat May 26, 2007 9:55 pm

richrich
Smeghead!

Postby richrich on Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:41 pm

richrich
Smeghead!

Postby richrich on Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:38 pm

richrich
Smeghead!

Postby Jynks on Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:36 pm

Hmm this blink ep was really good imo.. prob the best ep so far... thoughts?
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby wargand on Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:56 pm

Jynks wrote:Hmm this blink ep was really good imo.. prob the best ep so far... thoughts?

Definitely a highlight. I really hate it that this season ends soon.
wargand
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby Jynks on Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:03 am

Yar.. i wish UK TV would make 22 ep seasons like the US :)
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby MyK on Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:46 am

Last ep was fab, I agree with both of you ;) It could also be some ep of the first "The Twilight Zone" series, only with the doctor. Loved the creativity and now that they've awaken my appetite, let's hope for more of the good stuff. Thumbs up & fingers crossed... ups, I think I've just dislocated my thumb :lol:
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

PreviousNext

Return to Sci-fi Series