Avalon (2001)

Request sci-fi movies of any quality or format here. Only put movie title and year in the topic title, any additional info goes in the message body. No horror.

Moderator: Movie Mods

Avalon (2001)

Postby mw2merc on Fri May 21, 2004 6:30 am

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0267287/

Unfortunately http://www.Avalon-Movie.com isn't working now. It's host http://www.cineart.be, isn't either.

Another masterpiece from Mamoru Oshii (the acclaimed director of Ghost it the Shell):

Widescreen anamorphic format
Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound
Special effect featurette
Interview with director Mamoru Oshii

"In a future world, young people are increasingly becoming addicted to an illegal (and potentially deadly) battle simulation game called Avalon. When Ash, a star player, hears of rumors that a more advanced level of the game exists somewhere, she gives up her loner ways and joins a gang of explorers. Even if she finds the gateway to the next level, will she ever be able to come back to reality?"

'Reportedly, the film lead actress was cast because she looked like Kusanagi, the main character in Oshii previous film, "Ghost in The Shell". And she does! She performs greatly, BTW, and makes one wonder what GiTS would have looked like as a live-action feature film.'

DVDR is prefered (Shrink if needed to include everything), then SVCD/DivX + Extras. English audio REQUIRED (non-DVDR), other + subs OK.

If nothing comes up for this, I may just buy, rip, & post this one myself.
"I put the KILL, in SKILL!!!"
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby El Mariachi on Fri May 21, 2004 7:40 am

Great visually looking movie.... I loved it, I'd prefer a shrinked DVDR myself :)
"Spectacular stunt my friends, but all for not... turn around please, what a pity what a pity." - gay officer in Spaceballs
"It has zombies in it, how can you not give a crap?" - Spud
El Mariachi
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Fri May 21, 2004 4:21 pm

DVDR is prefered (Shrink if needed to include everything)

DVDcopy2 would be significantly better quality.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby d0c on Fri May 21, 2004 5:46 pm

i say divx... we must think on the little people with small bandwith, dvdr aint ready yet for emule community...
d0c
The Ninth Passenger

Postby MCMLXXXVIII on Fri May 21, 2004 7:13 pm

AVI please! :D
MCMLXXXVIII
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby mw2merc on Fri May 21, 2004 8:57 pm

If I buy it, I'll do both DVDR & AVI. :twisted:
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby Purple.Nightmare on Fri May 21, 2004 10:23 pm

would love an avi of this as well, looks kool
In Space No One Can Hear You Scream
Purple.Nightmare
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby El Mariachi on Sat May 22, 2004 7:02 am

mw2merc wrote:If I buy it, I'll do both DVDR & AVI. :twisted:

thanks mate, will happy to keep the DVDR shared for a while :)

I got more space to share stuff now :)
"Spectacular stunt my friends, but all for not... turn around please, what a pity what a pity." - gay officer in Spaceballs
"It has zombies in it, how can you not give a crap?" - Spud
El Mariachi
The Ninth Passenger

Postby d0c on Sat May 22, 2004 10:35 am

oki i changed my mind i want an dvdr instead of an avi, i give shit about little people and their little bandwith... give me dvdr and i will be happy :lol:
d0c
The Ninth Passenger

Postby Jynks on Sat May 22, 2004 10:53 am

say divx... we must think on the little people with small bandwith, dvdr aint ready yet for emule community...

Who the hell are you?

oki i changed my mind i want an dvdr instead of an avi, i give shit about little people and their little bandwith... give me dvdr and i will be happy

Oh there u are.
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby <insert> on Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:24 pm

Slowly Building the Subterranean Internet Movie Database

News Feeds for my Lastest Finds: >> [ed2k] [BT] [NZB]
HOWTO's: rss > bt > ed2k > usenet

<insert>
The Ninth Passenger

Postby mw2merc on Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:38 pm

Bad Kitty, I said ENGLISH AUDIO!!!
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby Purple.Nightmare on Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:58 pm

mw2merc wrote:Bad Kitty, I said ENGLISH AUDIO!!!
:D does me fine
Purple.Nightmare
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby mw2merc on Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:03 pm

Purple.Nightmare wrote:does me fine

mw2merc wrote:DVDR is prefered (Shrink if needed to include everything), then SVCD/DivX + Extras. English audio REQUIRED (non-DVDR), other + subs OK.

It's really a waste of time trying to fill someone's request with something they DON'T want. Ever since watching Appleseed, I've completely given up on Subs. Just can't see enough of what's going on & read all the loads of text. Plus subs RARELY say the same thing as the audio. Same goes for dubs, but subs are more so from my experiance.

I'm sure if someone asked for GERMAN audio & doesn't speak English, then I gave a link to ENGLISH, they'd be just as upset as I am.
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:55 pm

You'll find your in a minority with that opinion merc. Dubbing is the gayest thing I can think of to do to a movie, most of the time it makes them totally unwatchable or at least totally demeans the movie as any kind of movie you can take seriously. The number of times there's been a good dub is erm... never?

Plus subs RARELY say the same thing as the audio.

And dubs are much , much further from the original than the subtitles!!!!! As far as closeness to the original audio, substitles are far closer, dubs are miles away (infact mostly they don't even say anything remotely the same). Any anime fan will tell you how inaccurate dubs are ;) The only arguement for dubs is if your too tired/lazy/incapable of reading (only time I watch dubs is by force or when I'm really tired), everything else is in favour of the original audio + subs, which is why your in the minority and why it will be a problem to acquire a dub in english.

Anyway, I was just posting to tell you you'll have trouble filling your request, unless someone does a dual audio or something. For the reason I've covered above, and also rippers don't want to release crap. For example, if I were to rip a movie, I'd refuse to add a dubbed track unless it would fit on as an extra. Mainly because they look stupid, they are totally inaccurate, and I want my releases to spread and stay spread and dubbing compromises this, and also allow people from all regions enjoy them. There's only one thing worse than a dub, and that's a dub into another language :cry:

:( So back to my point, your going to have trouble filling your request.

Finally, you did a half request/half offering post, so whilst your request wasn't filled, everyone elses was it is worth noting so why take adversion to it? ;)

edit:
only the american dvd has a dubbed english track also I've noticed
http://dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=3608
So your going to have to limit your search to the states.

Incidently, I noticed this which must be kind of annoying:
R1 (America) - No cuts. From IMDB: "North American DVD release in 2003 features additional narration by the lead character "Ash" - most notably during the pre-credits battle scene, and at the end of the film, the latter of which initially played out without any dialogue. As a result of the added narration, the enigmatic ending becomes easier to understand for North American viewers.

I'd probably take offence to that myself if I was from the states, studios seem to have no confidence in the audience :o
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Purple.Nightmare on Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:09 am

mw2merc wrote:It's really a waste of time trying to fill someone's request with something they DON'T want.
well to quote you:
mw2merc wrote:If nothing comes up for this, I may just buy, rip, & post this one myself.

why not do so then :)

mw2merc wrote:Ever since watching Appleseed, I've completely given up on Subs. Just can't see enough of what's going on & read all the loads of text.

are you really that stoned/drunk all the time that you really cant follow pictures and words? (i apologise in advance if you have a medical condition though)

mw2merc wrote:Plus subs RARELY say the same thing as the audio. Same goes for dubs, but subs are more so from my experiance.

as spud said and in my own experience dubs are usually far far worse, at the very least most dubbed anime/non-english films i have watched usually tone down/replace bad language! also dubbed movies dialogue not only is usually badly out of sync but can often sound flat and lifeless compared to the original language which at least conveys teh original emotions
Purple.Nightmare
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:32 pm

are you really that stoned/drunk all the time that you really cant follow pictures and words? (i apologise in advance if you have a medical condition though)

I am sometimes :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby <insert> on Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:25 pm

:-o spudthedestroyer says it for me...dubs suck bigtime
it's bad enough they hard coded the english subs, (can't remove/adjust them & messes with any other ones people lay over the top)

but you are dead right, you asked for english audio , I missed that completely sorry.
I think thats a buy the DVD if you can find it one that is, hehehe , I will post if I do see one tho'.
some rippers are putting dual audio in some of the new containers mkv , ogm but it's not common & not used in release groups

truely... use subs , usually you can adjust them ...bigger...slower... once you get used to it no big deal.

this copy here for those that want it , sources are good

maybe it's just one of those things that until you hear Scully sound like a butch german prison guard you don't really appreciate

;)
Slowly Building the Subterranean Internet Movie Database

News Feeds for my Lastest Finds: >> [ed2k] [BT] [NZB]
HOWTO's: rss > bt > ed2k > usenet

<insert>
The Ninth Passenger

Postby mw2merc on Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:53 am

I guess I will have to buy it. I do like the duel audio releases. Thanks for the post so others at least could enjoy it. I'll just have to wait.
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Return to Movie Requests