ddr for gaming(1gb stick or 1gbDualChannel?)

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

ddr for gaming(1gb stick or 1gbDualChannel?)

Postby fileslasher on Sat May 28, 2005 6:57 pm

Hey guys I'm gettin a new comp right and I'm bumpin up the ddr memory. I don't really know much about comps so I'd like your opinions on what would be better for gaming - 1gb stick ddr or 1gb dual channel ddr. I'll be running the intel p4 3.0ghz with an 256mb 128bit ati raedon card. The motherboard used will be I believe the Gigabyte GA8IPE1000. I cant really go over 1gb ddr or get a better board due to limitted cash supply. So what would be the best way to go for ddr?
fileslasher
the Angry Klingon

Postby barry on Sat May 28, 2005 7:53 pm

Pentium 4's really need loads of memory bandwidth or they're crippled. So you'd be better off with an (ideally matched) pair of 512 MB sticks, so as to run in dual channel. Then again for gaming, you'd be better off with an Athlon 64.
barry
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby fileslasher on Sat May 28, 2005 8:06 pm

ya i dont really have a choice for processors, its like a bundle'd pack but im just I'm just buying more memory. So u figure I'd be best to go with the 1gb(2x512mb) dual channel kit hey?

edit - thx for the reply btw, i posted this on 3 other sites and no1 has helped me out yet. this site has good ppl :)
Last edited by fileslasher on Sat May 28, 2005 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fileslasher
the Angry Klingon

Postby barry on Sat May 28, 2005 8:07 pm

fileslasher wrote:ya i dont really have a choice for processors, its like a bundle'd pack but im just I'm just buying more memory. So u figure I'd be best to go with the 1gb(2x512mb) dual channel kit hey?

The only reason to go for the 1GB single stick is if you intend to add another fairly soon. If not, then get 2x 512MB sticks. I like Corsair personally, but others will have their own preferences.
barry
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby fileslasher on Sat May 28, 2005 8:13 pm

ok thx for the helpfull advice man. I appreciate it alot.
fileslasher
the Angry Klingon

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun May 29, 2005 4:17 pm

Gaming = AMD, if your primary concern is gaming, AMD is the superior choice.

Intel only excells at applications, particularly encoding and CAD. AMD has it beat into submission in gaming though, and what with AMD64 for about the same price its comparatively a better alternative.

Secondly, you should do an interleaved dual channel setup (2x 512mb, DDR1 and DDR3, which will boost performance. I would not recommend at all a single chip setup.

If gaming is your primary concern then i would seriously consider not getting intel, AMD is still favourable.

On the matter of RAM brand and speed, only get DDR400 if you intend to overclock, if this is not what your going to be doing, you'll get a better boost from PC3200 memory, I'd go for Crucial since they offer a favourable service and are very cheap. www.crucial.com

As for motherboard, EPOX and DFI are board makers i'm particularly fond of
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby fileslasher on Sun May 29, 2005 6:16 pm

I'm gonna see if i can get them to swap the p4 for an amd. I doubt they will but maybe. Thx for your reply also spud.

edit - oh ya, what does overclock mean????
fileslasher
the Angry Klingon

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon May 30, 2005 6:38 am

Overclock means that you get extra performance out of components by putting them above their advertised speeds.

Most CPUs can be tweaked up a little bit, and the RAMs speed can be too. What you do is set your cpu bandwidth above the default and put your ram clock settings on high. The problem with this is that you get a hell of a lot of excess heat and power usage, so you have to have a stable power supply and great cooling system. You'll get a performance boost, but you'll also get headaches and instability until everything is setup right.

Best to leave it be if your not too fussy, or don't have the money/experience. You can tweak things up a bit, but DDR400 probably isn't worth it for you in the end, and you'll get better speeds from lower ram (since the DDR400 will be underclocked).

Its a weird and wonderful world of overclocking, you will see Intel Pentium 4s frozen with liquid nitrogen and overclocked to ~ 5.0Ghz, people submerging their machines in oil, water cooling, etc.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby fileslasher on Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:58 pm

So i ended up getting an amd64 with the 1gb dual channel. It's runnin awsome with my vid card. Never actualy got to play ut2004 running well but it runs awsome on this. Halo runs deadly too. Thx for your imput guys, i dont know how the p4 would have ran but im definately happy with this.
Now I need a new rpg. Any recomendations? I was thinking of getting guild wars cuz its its free online.
fileslasher
the Angry Klingon

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:51 pm

World of Warcraft is supposed to be good.

To be honest, all i play is Rome: Total War, and that probably won't change until Zelda comes out later this year :lol:

The other games worth playing this year haven't been this numerous, and the most significant one was RE4 which is Gamecube only :( Owns though
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby barry on Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:42 pm

fileslasher wrote:So i ended up getting an amd64 with the 1gb dual channel. It's runnin awsome with my vid card. Never actualy got to play ut2004 running well but it runs awsome on this. Halo runs deadly too. Thx for your imput guys, i dont know how the p4 would have ran but im definately happy with this.
Now I need a new rpg. Any recomendations? I was thinking of getting guild wars cuz its its free online.

Now you can also consider a 64bit operating system if you feel adventurous. There's a free 180 day trial of Windows XP 64bit from Microsoft. RPG wise, there's Boiling Point just out, which is amusing me so far.
barry
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:49 pm

there's a free download of the entire windows xp 64 on any competant bit torrent site :wacky:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby barry on Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:18 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:there's a free download of the entire windows xp 64 on any competant bit torrent site :wacky:

Now now, we don't want lead any young minds astray do we....
barry
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby dinky on Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:28 pm

:lol:

hey spud dawg, tell me more about this interleave thing (link me?) please. 8)
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:41 pm

dinky wrote::lol:

hey spud dawg, tell me more about this interleave thing (link me?) please. 8)

well you can set your ram to dual channel by putting the ram in ddr slots 1 and 3, or 2 and 4 otherwise it runs at a slower single channel mode. It sets the burst type to interleave and you get the most out of the ram. There should be a meatily half page summary in your motherboard manual if your lucky... most don't even mention it :wacky:

Google for dual channel or ram interleave, you'll probably find some technical blurb about it.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby fileslasher on Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:21 pm

whoa this thread is still kickin :) bought sum new games. Guild Wars - not bad. And Brothers in Arms - wow what a fuckin cool game. Its a squad based ww2 fps. If u want challenging tactical strategy for fps in ww2 definately check this game out. Shit, even ur a fan of Band of Brothers this game should apeal to u.
fileslasher
the Angry Klingon

Return to General