Why isn't this board exploding ?

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon May 10, 2004 12:12 am

ehe guess ur right its not, still if they had remade re1 and 2 we couldve both been happy :P

dont worry i read your thread and noticed u sed shadowman on psx was rubbish but it jsut didnt seem bad enough, so i had to emphasise it so no1 made the mistake of downloading it thinking ti might be ok in parts lol
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon May 10, 2004 12:16 am

maxpayne2409 wrote:ehe guess ur right its not, still if they had remade re1 and 2 we couldve both been happy :P

Oh, no... I would have been extremely happy if they would have remade RE2, just as much as you. Actually seen as though you seem to be a RE fanatic maybe not, but I'd have run out and bought it if they would have totally remade it. I was speaking purely in an "or" case scenario, I'd back the first one :)

dont worry i read your thread and noticed u sed shadowman on psx was rubbish but it jsut didnt seem bad enough, so i had to emphasise it so no1 made the mistake of downloading it thinking ti might be ok in parts lol

Then again some people seem to be harsh on the pc and n64 versions so maybe its just me lol. I did play it all the way through though, so that maybe way we differ.

But the PSX version is crap though :mrgreen:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon May 10, 2004 12:30 am

i wouldve bought a GC purely for re2 remake if they had made it, i may sitll do so so i can play re4 and re0
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon May 10, 2004 12:39 am

wait till WHSmiths dump all their consoles and see if their cheap. I wouldn't pay over £50 for a cube myself, maybe not even £40. Depends, if they throw in a wavebird then maybe :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon May 10, 2004 12:59 am

lol WHSmiths, hasvent shopped there in years

for some reason ive just got the urge to watch Kung Pow again :wacky:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon May 10, 2004 1:09 am

No one has... I think you just solved their problem! :lol:

/me sticks out tongue
"aiaiaiaiaiiaiaiai" :D
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon May 10, 2004 1:21 am

Quote:

No one has... I think you just solved their problem!

do not buy from WHSmiths, we have put prices too high on purpose....as a joke

HA...oooooooh, if youve got a product we'll over charge it
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby mw2merc on Mon May 10, 2004 8:14 am

maxpayne2409 wrote:Actually it is also RE DC for psx aswell

No, the GameCube. Think the 2 weapons were knife & taser.

"An entirely new gameplay experience"
http://www.capcom.com/xpml/game.xpml?gameid=650034

"The original Resident Evil recreated, revamped and dramatically altered"
"New defensive weapons protect characters when being attacked"
"Completely new areas of the mansion and its surroundings to explore"
"New types of enemies"
"More than 10 different game endings -- unique endings dependent upon play decisions and successes"
http://cube.ign.com/articles/358/358101p1.html

BFG anyone???

maxpayne2409 wrote:so do i especially age of empires 2 or Rise of Nations (i presume u mean real time strategy games)

RT is OK, I prefer old school turn based! :twisted:

spudthedestroyer wrote:I guess this isn't really a site development thread anymore

Ya think? :lol:
"I put the KILL, in SKILL!!!"
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon May 10, 2004 1:27 pm

RT is OK, I prefer old school turn based

eeewwww turn based, cant stand them, i mean who takes turns fighting in real life? nobody so i dont personally see y games are, thats what ruins games like civilisation if you ask me

turn based are just digital board games to me, and if i wanna play monopoly ive got a cracking real board and great peices (i got the version with actual vehicles as peices, no gay boot, hat, dog here hehe)
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby mw2merc on Mon May 10, 2004 6:54 pm

maxpayne2409 wrote:eeewwww turn based, cant stand them, i mean who takes turns fighting in real life? nobody so i dont personally see y games are, thats what ruins games like civilisation if you ask me

Who said anything about reality? We're talking games. How many people do you know that wear body armor & run around shooting aliens? (FPS) Noone, that's right. Let alone the RT Strats, noone does that IRL either.
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon May 10, 2004 10:05 pm

I hate turn based games most of the time. People spring to their defence saying they are more celebral, but most of the time that's total BS. Only one I ever liked with Civilisation one. I don't judge the category as one I like or dislike strongly, its each game based on merit. But in terms of strategy games, I tend to get a lot more enjoyment out of the realtime games. A bit more active too :)

However, back to civilisation, I think the first is still the best TBS I've played thusfar (and I love that game :) ). I still prefer AOE2 mind, but civilisation is still a favourite :)

@mw2, ah rite, so you've never actually played it? I'd recommend you do if you like RE.

Those "two weapons" you mentioned, aren't the same as you seem to thinking. It's like a second weapon system that sits underneath the first. Referring to specifically when your attacked. The knife is a dagger you stab into the zombies head, before pushing them back (not killing them or anything), but its amusing to see a zombie with 5 knives stuck in its head :lol: The taser blows them back, but they get back up. You also missed out the grenade, which you shove in their mouths and obviously kills them. You can set these to be used automatically or manually, the latter being hard obviously, because if you don't respond quick enough, you die. You can not use those weapons like the normal ones though.

In terms of weapons I think you are referring to, I don't recall anything new (only new is that their locations are not in the same location, except the shotgun), but that's nothing to care about because its about the only thing along with the characters outfits that are the same :lol:An extract from that IGN article you probably skipped:

There are both subtle and massive changes to the GCN version of Resident Evil over the original. Zombies are more intelligent -- a plus. They come through doors, crash through windows, and change into even more dangerous crimson versions of their former selves a bit into the adventure. There is a new foe that can and does follow players through the entire mansion. There are more of zombies -- in different areas, even on easy, than there were in the original, and they're more difficult to kill. Weapons and objects are sometimes put into different areas than they were previously, as are other enemies. For instance, the undead dogs no longer jump out when gamers walk through the checkered hallway for the first time. It's changed up. There are new puzzles -- some changed slightly, others completely original. There are new areas of the mansion -- big areas. There are new areas outside the mansion -- also large and unexplored. There are new enemies -- some more grotesque and disturbing than can easily be imagined, and some integral to the storyline. There are new side-character operations and interactions. Some of these will have a great bearing on the outcome of the adventure. There are new defensive moves -- Jill and Chris can now stab enemies in the head as a protective maneuver. Jill can also electrocute zombies. Chris, meanwhile, can actually stick a grenade into the mouth of an undead, stand back, point his pistol at the bomb and shoot it. The result, we assure you, is both thrilling and disgusting. There are more than 10 FMV game endings possible. Players can go it as Jill or Chris on easy or hard for different endings. Plus, the objectives players complete or fail weigh into the final ending, and may even affect some of the following game scenarios. In addition to everything else, there are secret costumes that can be unlocked, a new weapon or two acquired, and various cheats that become available after accomplishing specific tasks. These are just some of the amazing extras, more than enough reason -- we absolutely guarantee -- for any owner of the original game to pick up this GameCube update without hesitation. It practically is a brand new experience.

Give it a whirl if you have the chance anyway. To quote comic book guy... best... RE... ever :) Until RE4 comes out anyway :lol:

How many people do you know that wear body armor & run around shooting aliens? (FPS)

I think he's referring to the fact that there's huge pauses in gameplay while you think about what to do next. Scenario doesn't matter.. sure you might be fighting aliens, but as long as the link to real life it is still okay, but if it doesn't link to reallife you have a shallow game that's hard to associate with and play. If there's an enemy army infront of you, you don't expect them to sit their and be massacred? TBS make up for it in otherways of course.

It's to do with acceptance to gain an engrossing game environment. If you have an ultra realistic human moving across an ultra realistic environment, you will expect him to act in a realistic way or people won't be able to associate with game. A cartoon character allows for more freedom as you have no expections of how you should interact. Same thing can happen with strategy games if they don't react as you'd expect and as real life scenarios work.

As said they deal with things in other ways to make it engrossing, but if they don't get it right... trouble :(

I think his criticism is very valid and doesn't relate to realistic storyline. Its the cognitive gameplay element I assume he was talking about ;)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon May 10, 2004 11:35 pm

you assume correctly spud, that is exactly what i was talking about :) , i dont knwo about you but im facing an army of drooling, psychopathic bloodlust crazed warmongers (or government as theyre more commonly known) i dont think id stand still long enough while they go through tehyre attacks, choose one ot do most damage, and stand there letting them inflict pain upon me, im not mel gibson ya know so dont use that whip over there to cause me pain

spud u play aoe2??? hehe lets have a game lad :D, you know where to find me (msn yahoo icq etc etc)
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby Jynks on Tue May 11, 2004 3:39 am

I can not agree, I think turn based strat games are by far the best strat games around. real-time strat games always end up a race through the interface to build X item faster than the other guy. So instead of strat being the main thing you are focusing on things like reflex, UI design etc etc

The best imo strat games of all time are all turn based... more time to think... prob is that most high strat games have real bad GFX as the GFX are such a non important part of it.. some of the world war 2 battle simulations are just amazing for complexity... Stratergy First all make amazing strat games.. they specilise in diplomatic and economic AI stuff.
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue May 11, 2004 3:55 am

So instead of strat being the main thing you are focusing on things like reflex, UI design etc etc

actually with rts you focus more on resource management, troop deployment, creating the right troop and positioning it to do the right job with maximum efficiency, planning your tactical assaults by your resources, units available, unit type, chance fo success, trying to decide how teh computer will counterattack, but needing the skills that turn based dont require to be able to think and react within seconds to avoid huge casualtys, which could if not properly supervised turn the tide of the match against you

real time strategy requires much more skill then any turn based strategy game where you can sit for hours deciding your next move while the other side gets bored waiting

real time strategy requires astrong minded person who can be cool in a crisis and who has great management skills and a knack for making decisions on the spot when theyre needed and the determination to win sometimes against insumountable odds but being the strongest to come through on top for the quick decisive victory or the well planned tactical assault, while all teh time building a strong economy to be the backbone of your society intergrating with the military side to provide hours of fun games

like the thrill of sending your army into an enemys base, only to find they have amassed more units then your scouts originally let on so having to fight to survive long enough for your backup to arrive

many a time on many games ive had endless fun like this, and im sure spud will back me up on this one with much enthusiasm
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby mw2merc on Tue May 11, 2004 4:17 am

Wow! I have to agree w/ Jynks? :lol:

My favorite game, by far!!! X-Com aka UFO Defense Force. It the words of Comic Book Guy: Best TBS EVER!!! You can play the CD/Collector's version under 2k/XP: http://www.xcomufo.com/xcom1fix.exe It worked for me w/ sound & no dorking around.

There's 2 great remakes in the mix. 1 over at SourceForge:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... p_id=23295
http://www.projectxenocide.com/

There's also a fix for X-Com 2: Terror from the Deep: http://www.xcomufo.com/xcom2fix.exe
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue May 11, 2004 1:41 pm

Couldn't agree more with Max on his comments about RTS, and by proxy, don't agree with jynks assessment of em. :D
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue May 11, 2004 2:34 pm

the only 1 gripe i have with rts games (mostly microsoft ones like aoe2, aom, ron) is the population limits are way too low, but thats ok one quick edit of the xml file and its whacked from 200 to 400 for more epic battles 8)
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue May 11, 2004 2:43 pm

cool, never actually tried that, but we normally put population limit on 200, and with 3 human controlled civs and 4 or 5 computers it gets a little.... erm well hectic :lol:

Next time i install it I'll have to give it a try :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue May 11, 2004 2:51 pm

usually i play it with a couple of mates (dave and fagrot - dont ask!!) we have us 3 as human teams then stick on loads of computer teams (ive edited LOADS for rise of nations) for instance the chinese are now Vietcong (im always them) the french have the power of cowardice, the romans have the power of caesar salad and roman orgies, etc etc, and computer settings have changed to comedy names and for comedy reasons (totally non politically correct of course) easy setting are called Women lol, some map names are changed like australian outback is Aussie pisshole etc, the worst map is called "THIS MAPS WANK" and its jsut been edited to the hilt hehe and some of the msg taunts the comptuer give are absolutely hilarious, theres nothing quite as funny as having a nice big war and all of a sudden you enemy goes "Hey Sucka, I Want Gold Foo or We Gonna Pillage your Towns and Rape Your Women" or "oooh matron your defiling my capital, i say" :lol:

i can send you the rar with the edited files if ya like spud so you can give them a test :)
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Re: Why isn't this board exploding ?

Postby ChaoticLunatic on Sat May 15, 2004 7:40 am

O.G.N.A.N.O. wrote:There are tons of SF fans out there.....

But I' not seeing them over here..... :oops:

Spud are you advertising enough ?

Patience. Remember that movie Field of Dreams (sorry to quote such a poo movie).. -- 'You build it and they will come' . It applies here.. and everywhere else.. Not good to rush anything, but if u have a good product, u will always get the best customers.. eventually. :wink:
Hi.
ChaoticLunatic
Red Shirted Trekker

PreviousNext

Return to General