ratDVD: A new way to compress your DVDs

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

ratDVD: A new way to compress your DVDs

Postby hagbard on Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:28 am

Anybody heard about that already ?

afterdawn.com wrote:Introducing ratDVD: A new way to compress your DVDs

31 May 2005 20:30 by Dela

Would you like to be able to compress an entire 9GB DVD to 1 single file about 1GB-3GB (depending on the DVD and your settings) in size, keeping menus, bonus features, multiple audio and subtitle tracks as well as video Angles? Well students from the university of Aarhus, Danmark and St. Petersburg State Electrotechnical University "LETI", Russia yesterday released a new Compression format specifically geared towards the compression of complete DVDs without loss of any features or noticeable quality called ratDVD.

After a DVD is compressed to one much smaller file, it can be played back on your PC like you would play a normal DVD or you can convert it back to DVD to burn to disc and watch it with a stand-alone DVD player. Currently it requires users to have Micr0s0ft Wind0ws XP, DirectX 9.0, and Wind0ws Media Player 10. "This new format makes sharing DVDs possible like MP3 did for Audio-CDs. Comparing ratDVD with conventional compression methods like MPEG-4, H264, DivX or XviD is like comparing DVD with VHS. Unless you use ratDVD, you get only parts of the video but loose everything that makes DVD special." says Peter Jensen, project team leader.

ratDVD can preserve all the features of the original DVD such as:

# Full Anamorphic picture, seamless branching, multiple video angles, multiple audio channels, subpictures, etc.
# Keep movie versions (Directors Cut, Theatrical version, etc.), Alternate story endings, making of, video commentary , cut scenes, etc..
# Keep complete menus, navigation and features
# Reliable high quality, valid check-summed Container.

Source

More Info & Download: ratDVD Homepage
hagbard
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:16 pm

sounds like mkv and to all intents and purposes, the quality is reported to be vastly inferior to MPEG4.

Hopefully it will improve with time, but at the moment MPEG4 and Nero are ten steps ahead i believe.

If your wanting an advanced container, it might be worth checking out mkv. Heard about it though, any product made to help in the customisation and distrubution of media is a good thing regardless, particularly if it is an open source product.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby rived on Tue May 02, 2006 12:45 am

its very good this one
rived
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue May 02, 2006 12:55 am

really? i can't stand ratdvd myself. I've found comparitive quality is terrible. Your better off doing an xvid rip, better quality and compatability I found.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Return to General