Do you buy DVD movies

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Do you buy DVD movies

Postby Jim123 on Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:14 pm

Ever since my Laserdisc movie collection started to get a colour shift I stopped buying anymore movies. What is the point of spending money for something that is going to be scrapped anyway?

Does anybody know if DVD discs suffer the same fate as Laserdiscs do over time?
Jim123
42?

Postby mxyzptlk on Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:38 pm

dunno,but then again I don't own a dvd that's 15 years old :mrgreen:

kill feed repeat
mxyzptlk
The Ninth Passenger

Postby dinky on Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:12 pm

aside from shoddy discs burned at home, I would say you're more likely to scratch or spill beer on a disc to ruin it. proper storage is important, of course.

I know cheap cdrs go bad over time with no (valid) reason. and I'm sure the same applies to home made dvds.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:54 am

DVDs last for ages without any wear or tear, laser discs were just a fucked up format. It was really crapply implemented, the discs warped and hell... have you seen the size of them? That's why they never took off. DVDs on the other hand, they do lastr for a while.

I have to agree about cheap cdrs and DVDrs, you never know which is why its worth paying the extra pennies to ensure you get Ritek G05 dye at the very least.

As for retail DVDs, yes i buy them whenever i have the cash to do so. I try and buy movies that are worth buying, and always prefer a store bought one to some shoddy knockoff. Last umpteen i bought are all hard to get movie DVDs, ones i got from asia so there's something extra there for me.

The only bust DVD i got is sleepy hollow, and, well it actually still works so i don't know why i said its bust. One of my cheap DVD players wouldn't play it because some douche spilt coke on it, other players don't seem to care.

The quality for most of my films are more than acceptable, and given that they are proper manageable digital recordings, they won't likely be upgraded to the new hdvd or whatever shits round the corner. Sure i'll buy newer ones in that format and maybe one or too of my existing ones if they make the disc a hell of a lot better...

However, i find DVD a format that's pretty much made itself to last for a good run. I got some very old DVDs, and i can't see any visual sign of decay, and the discs still play perfectly. I heard a few early DVDs had imperfections in the dye and are suseptable to "rot", but DVDs are likely to outlast a CD given the manufacturing quality.

If your worried about the quality, you have to think whether the particular movie is worth owning. The format, well i can't invest absolute certainty, but i think they'll last far longer than laserdiscs did.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby Jynks on Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:30 am

Lazerdiscs were huge (as in popular :).. they tok off all right just not in the west much.

I often buy the dvd and then store it on the shelf.... using a high quality 2 or 3 part avi to use for playing.... (same as collecting comics... buy, read it, it pack it and then use the rips from the net to read a million zilliontimes)

I like DVD's but they are just a hassle.... compare sorting though all those disks to having 500+ on a few Hdrive you can just skim though....
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby Jim123 on Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:46 am

For most movies, I just watch them maybe once a year. Anymore and I may get bored. A new movie costs average 25 dollars. A new rental with taxes is about 5 dollars. An old release can go for 2 dollars. So I can rent for about 10 times (10 years) to match the price of buying.

In the near future we should all have HD TVs. Now they are going to release new discs with higher resolution to match the HD 50 inch screens that we are going to have. Now that single or double layer DVD is not as attractive compared to that new HD DVD coming in the near future.

The companies now what they are doing. They will keep us one step back of technology. They know that people copy movies and trade. The only reason they allow the sale of dual layer for about 10 dollars a disc is because they are getting a levy for each disc sold and when a new format is introduced the prices will fall on the previous technology.

The exception for me is series like BG or star trek etc. I tend to watch these kinds of things much more than just movies. For me, I can't justify dishing out 25 dollars when I know that around the corner that movie will be improved and I will want it.
Jim123
42?

Postby El Mariachi on Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:25 pm

yeah I buy a lot. I dont like spending a lot though.

Lately I look for anything below 10 dollars and it being good

I got Die Hard 2Disc Special Edition for that price.
Also The Crow 2Disc Special Edition.

I skip a DVD when it doesn't have any extras. I might as well watch the divx of that movie :D
"Spectacular stunt my friends, but all for not... turn around please, what a pity what a pity." - gay officer in Spaceballs
"It has zombies in it, how can you not give a crap?" - Spud
El Mariachi
The Ninth Passenger

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:44 pm

I like DVD's but they are just a hassle.... compare sorting though all those disks to having 500+ on a few Hdrive you can just skim though....

compare sorting through 500+ DVD's to 500+ VHS then :lol: i know which i would rather have

i buy lots and lots of dvds, although i only buy ones that are really worth it first hand, if i see some i think "yeah i might watch it once or twice" then i just buy a cheap 2nd hand copy because i dont care what happens to it, only dvd that i have that doesnt work is 8mm, got it free anyway so i dont care, its not even a great film, by not work it works in dvd player just not in my pc
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby Jim123 on Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:09 pm

Do you guys think it's worth it.

My main concern is that when we all have a HDTV they are going to release the same movies in HD and you will not want to watch those dual layer discs anymore. Are you going to buy again? I myself will get some again, but only maybe 10 that matter to me. The Star Trek, Indiana Jones, Total Recall, Blade Runner and a couple of others.

I think we are too close to a new technology to invest in anything right now. I think we will be there in about 2 years time. I can't watch any movie that many times to justify buying a movie within 2 years.
Jim123
42?

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:12 pm

they are going to release the same movies in HD

how is that different to the way people buy all the movies when they release another one with slightly different extras on current dvd, and believe me it happens

i dont buy a new dvd just for new extras, tv shows aside i only buy special edition directors cut versions of films, unless of course there isnt one
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby Jim123 on Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:17 pm

Do you guys think it's worth it.

My main concern is that when we all have a HDTV they are going to release the same movies in HD and you will not want to watch those dual layer discs anymore. Are you going to buy again? I myself will get some again, but only maybe 10 that matter to me. The Star Trek, Indiana Jones, Total Recall, Blade Runner and a couple of others.

I think we are too close to a new technology to invest in anything right now. I think we will be there in about 2 years time. I can't watch any movie that many times to justify buying a movie within 2 years.

Spud, the DVD discs are made of the same material as the Laser discs so I think they will fade also in time.
Jim123
42?

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:23 pm

Spud, the DVD discs are made of the same material as the Laser discs so I think they will fade also in time

i thinkk what he was getting at is the dye used on the discs is what fades and causes the disc to mess up, not the actual disc itself, if you see what i mean, i could be wrong but i think thats what he was saying
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:12 pm

yup, laser discs don't use the same dye, the quality of the manufacturing of dvds is far higher than laserdiscs ever were.

Verbatim discs for example use an extremely high quality dye, and none of my CDr verbs from over ten years ago show any hint of decay/corruption. Quite impressive really.

That's cdr, DVDr is supposed to last longer, so the propaganda goes anyway.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby El Mariachi on Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:29 pm

I was about the buy Spaceballs 2Disc Special Edition today, but ofcourse no one had it yet. I could order it though.

I already have the original 1CD version. But I'd like to have both :D

I also read (to change the subject) that there might be a Spaceballs 2
"Spectacular stunt my friends, but all for not... turn around please, what a pity what a pity." - gay officer in Spaceballs
El Mariachi
The Ninth Passenger

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:31 pm

I also read (to change the subject) that there might be a Spaceballs 2

hahaha good one, its not april though your a bit early......... :o
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:32 pm

yes, it's officially in production per a tvguide report a couple months before episode 3 was released. still hasn't appeared on the imdb radar though.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:34 pm

it wont be as good :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby El Mariachi on Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:19 pm

maxpayne2409 wrote:it wont be as good :lol:

I dont know actually. Mel Brooks never did a sequel. The problem is that most jokes are already done in Spaceballs 1
El Mariachi
The Ninth Passenger

Postby maxpayne2409 on Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:34 pm

El Mariachi wrote:
maxpayne2409 wrote:it wont be as good :lol:

I dont know actually. Mel Brooks never did a sequel. The problem is that most jokes are already done in Spaceballs 1

surely that just means your backing up my theory that it wont be as good, due to all the jokes already having been done, unless he uses the more modern scifi for jokes like stargate, bsg etc, but i dont think he would, as it wouldnt fit the film
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:41 pm

Comedy Sequels can be good, Gremlins 2 for example.. spoofs the original and horror. :D

But your right, it won't be as good.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Next

Return to General