File Renmaer?

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

File Renmaer?

Postby Jynks on Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:09 am

Has anyone got a good program for renaming files? I have looked at a few but none do wat I want... I would like an app that can look in a dir for a txt string and remove it so I can shorten all the file names to just the show, the ep numnber and ep title... removing all the tags...

I need this for storage, as the xbox has a charicter limit.
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:26 am

as the xbox has a charicter limit.

it does? I can't say i've noticed one.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby Mantronix on Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:01 pm

http://www.alatar.de/projects/renamefiles/index.html

Check the screenshots page, the boxes saying "Replace...with..." The "With" box can be left empty, thus removing a string of your choice. And it's free.
"...a masterpiece of meticulous exactitude." - DS9 Duet
Mantronix
Skutter

Postby Jynks on Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:21 am

Really?? Gee mabey you do not use it much for media playing or somthing??

Some vgames even use the charicter limit as a copy protection against piracy. As you can have long file names on DVDs played though the dvd player just not on the local system. I think that Rugby game from those new zealand game developers used that... .. .

Xbox-Scene.com wrote:42 characters on hard drive, 255 on DVD

Can use these characters:
! # $ % & ' ( ) - . @ [ ] ^ _ ` { } ~

Cannot use these characters:
< > = ? : ; " * + , / \ |

That may sound like a lot but when you have for example 12 files like this

ed2k: Genshiken_-_12_-_The_Countermeasures_for_the_Issues_That_Occur_During_the_Reorgan...h](6158a8b0).avi  [172.01 Mb] [Stats]

Or a bunch link this

ed2k: [-span%20style=color--#ff0000--b-Disney--b---span-.-span%20style=color-#ff0000--b...viD.{Ursule}.rar  [691.26 Mb] [Stats]

Or over a hundred startrek links all with those crappy tags... .. . . you kinda want to get rid of em all :)

Thanks for that link btw.. it sounds like the thing I am looking for. Ta.

[ Add all 2 links to your ed2k client ]
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:11 pm

ah sorry, sounded like you were just stripping out ripper tags and i really hate idiots that do that for no reason.

I was more saying "is it that necessary?" and "is it really that big a problem given how rare it is?" than anything, i use xbox media player a lot and its not rejected a file yet. But then again, i thought it was just standard windows character depth with is ample for most filenames. I don't think i've even got anything with a ed2k link that long, but i have to say messy retagging I always return to tdx (whether it be adding info or re-arranging the filename so it matches).

Not one that's too long, but then again, you need to be downloading some obscure movie that has 4 alternative names to get em that long normally. Can't it be done manually, i mean you can't have many tags that long.

lol that second one has to have come from fileheaven.org, you shouldn't do a search and then click add all. You need to search load up the thread without the search bits in the url, and then click add all. Its a bug on their site to do with the theme.

If you burn with nero, i think there's an option to tell it to limit the number of characters you have, you don't need to do it manually. It will then just truncate things when it gets too long. Guess that doesn't work for the fileheaven ones, but that crap can be added to a stop list and filtered out with the cleanup (although that filecleanup gets rid of . too :( )
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Jynks on Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:19 am

Is that wat it is with fileheaven?? Top stuff spud will give it a go!!! lol
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:09 pm

yeah, well the problem is they got a gay theme, and when you do a search it highlights a word in this weird markup (i wonder if they have a tag missing?)... any the add all links includes the highlighted text in the add all :lol:

Not much help since none of that post actually solves anything from the first post of the thread any.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Return to General