PvP Infomation

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

PvP Infomation

Postby Jynks on Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:19 pm

LA district attorney gets first conviction for online file-sharing; perp faces up to three years in prison for conspiracy to commit grand theft.

Jed Frederick Kobles was downloading Leisure Suit Larry for the Xbox when Los Angeles cops served a search warrant on his residence in an Internet piracy investigation in late February, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office.

The investigation led to a felony charge of conspiracy to commit grand theft being brought against Kobles earlier this week for his role in operating an Internet site that allegedly facilitated online theft of movies, TV shows, music, and games. Kobles pled guilty the same day the charge was brought against him, and faces anywhere from probation to three years in prison at his sentencing, scheduled for October 20.

Among the allegedly stolen material was Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, National Treasure, A Beautiful Mind, Madonna music videos and an episode of The Simpsons.

According to the DA's office, this is California's first criminal Internet file-sharing case. However, a worldwide crackdown on Internet piracy has been in effect for the last couple months, and is beginning to yield more charges of Internet piracy.

Source: GameSpot
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:02 pm

Better article:
http://www.zeropaid.com/news/5652/Man+b ... +to+theft/

A man who ran an Internet file-sharing hub where computer users could swap movie, music and software files has pleaded guilty to grand theft, prosecutors said Friday.

ie. he was the adming trading ring.

DC++/FTP hubs are shut down all the time for many years. Its easier to do that since they actually facilitate and parttake in the filesharing, providing direct links or all the users connected and sharing files.

Internet site

That's wrong and misleading, it wasn't a site say like piratebay or something, it was one with direct downloads (ftp hub) or an actual dc++ hub, and i think its the latter since it states about "having to share their own files".

Unfortunately DC has been a whipping boy for ages for its dubious setup.

Shame all the same still, but a bit a scaremongering in that article.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby Jynks on Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:15 pm

P2P News wrote:RIAA calls time on P2Pers - [P2P News]

The RIAA hasn't said which P2P networks it sent cease and desist letters to, but the Wall Street Journal yesterday named LimeWire, BearShare and WinMX, and it's not hard to guess who the others might be.

The demands come three months after the US Supreme Court ruled that P2P providers Grokster and StreamCast are responsible for the actions of their users. If P2P users share content without the permission of the copyright holder then they're guilty of copyright infringement and so too are networks that did nothing to stop them, the Supreme Court said in June.

The verdict reversed judgements made at the District Court and Court of Appeal levels, which were founded on the precedent established in a landmark case brought in the 1980s by the movie industry against Sony. Back then, the Japanese giant prevailed, by showing its video recorders had plenty of uses beyond illegally copying movies. This time round, the P2Pers made the same claims, but the Supreme Court maintained that there were substantial differences between the two cases, so the Sony precedent does not apply.

The case now returns to the lower court, which must now re-consider the movie industry's complaint against Grokster and StreamCast in the light of the Supremes' decision.

The RIAA claimed the Supreme Court judgement had given P2P companies notice "there is a right way and a wrong way to conduct a business", and in the intervening months they have been granted "ample opportunity to do the right thing". It said firms that continue to allow users to share and download illegal copies, and "knowingly operate on the wrong side of that line do so at their own risk".

LimeWire, for one, now asks anyone downloading their software if they intend to infringe copyright, refusing to offer the software to anyone who foolishly checks the 'yes' option. That may appease the RIAA, but we doubt it - there are plenty of copies of the code out there already, and when we checked this afternoon, still rather a lot of illicit material to grab.
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:30 pm

old news, anyway who cares about dc++ its for gays
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:01 am

yeah dc++ really if for morons and traders anyway, i don't really care if they get sued. That kind of trading just pisses me off anyway, if you have something to share, share people!
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Jynks on Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:34 am

"Share and Enjoy" - Serious Cyberneticks Marketing devision
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby Jynks on Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:26 am

Well it looks like MusicDonkey is NOT going to arise from the ashes. TMT has basicaly chucked a wobbly and deleted the entire fourm directory for the site. The last backup being done about Janurary... so almost a year of members and posts are gone. And yes the mirror site has also been deleted.

After a few weeks of waiting the word has filtered down that musicdonkey may not come back. Try this newish one Drunkey Donkey Or phyreactor (forget the url)

There is still talk as SamplerGirl still has the old backup so it may still arise but it looks like buckTV all over again.
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:22 pm

seriously have you people never frigging heard of manual search
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:02 pm

maxpayne2409 wrote:seriously have you people never frigging heard of manual search
yeah lets all revert to some prehistoric sludge... don't be a plum max

seriously, forums are one of ed2ks strongest features, infact ARE ed2ks strongest feature. The network would have died yearts ago and turned into some shitty winmx if it wasn't for forums "holding the fort".

Unverified, fake, badly ripped pieces of shit is the predominant feature of search based networks, however, since using ed2k forums, the quality and number of rips I know have has increased a hundred fold. Network searching is the last desperate act, not a realistic alternative.

Of course we've heard of it, we just obviously have more respect for quality and validation. When your searching for crusty, unpopular oldies, I suppose search has more bearing since people haven't filled the need in a forum based community. If they did however, those areas would increase in quality and availability of rips.

@Jynks, drunkendonkey is not new, not by a long shot, its been known as pleasuredome101 for a few years now ;)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:38 pm

actually if you know anything about files and have gained a knack for being able to tell fake rips from real rips in manual search then its a peice of piss to sort them out
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:08 pm

LOL I'm not talking fake, I'm talking SHIT. That was thrown in as another point, but you've skipped all that was important and chosen the easilyt avoidable one as justification for why search isn't really shit for getting verified quality rips.

actually if you know anything about files

That's really naive beyond talking about fakes. If you can clue the rest of us in how you detect nukes, like bad deinterlacing, bad cropping, how you know one rip is better than another, etc. I'd be astounded and amazed to hear, I know from years, and years of using emule that you cna't without methodically, downloading and then comparing previews. ~Unless, say there was some system where people ripped and posted information on these rips so you could find information on movies (and use search on this system) and know which is best, avialable and has no nasty surprises... a system, perhaps... *gasp* in the form of a forum? :lol: :mrgreen:

Sorry that's bs about manual search being anything more than the last desperate act, I always search forums first because you get a lot better material from them, then its off to search, you can find the odd file, but mass downloading via search, your liable to get lots, and lots of shit. Applications that don't work, videos of poor quality or from a bad source, etc.all traits of search. Throw into the mix the fact search doesn't actually work all that well or search the entire network and it gets worse. You also have no real form of communication with the ripper or sharer. Search as an alternative gets worse and worse, and less evolved.

The notion that search is a viable alternative to forums, suggested by someone using a forum just strikes me as amazing, I can only come to the conclusion that you've got a lot lower quality standards than me, don't download as much as me, have more free time than me, and/or aren't that bothered about downloading shit as much as everyone else here.

I guess the difference is that your downloads are a lot of eighties shows, where quality admitedly doesn't matter that much? I don't want to stereotype, just trying to understand why anybody would hold search in such high regard, well beyond its worthiness. I have in the past downloaded some nostalgia shows and cartoons, and in those cases you often have to resort to any old shit going, because there's not much of a choice.

I suspect that's where the other enthusism in search contrasts with the view i expressed.

I honestly nearly choked when i read that comment about search in favour of forums, i couldn't figure out if you were joking or not. erm are you? :lol:

seriously have you people never frigging heard of manual search

lol!!! You joker you :P
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:12 pm

Speaking of 80s stuff, you see the intro to the new family guy? :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:08 pm

you mean the intro to the latest ep with stewie as frank drebin followed by a naked gun/police squad style intro? yes and it was freaking hilarious

yeah i download a lot of tv shows and movies mostly from the 80s etc, but also i go by a lot that are release group labelled too

and due to being on irc i know what a lot of the good tv caps are too like for instance moonsong and dummy they do good caps, and #TZ caps arent so hot

The notion that search is a viable alternative to forums, suggested by someone using a forum just strikes me as amazing

incidently i dont actually dla lot of stuff from here, i now use it mainly for chatting with other scifi fans, and doing the old pic competitions and stuff, dont get me wrong i have used forums from time to time, but ive noticed a fair few forums i used to use never get updated when new rips actually become available, so i gave up with most (still use here for a few though and the new releases bar on hhah, incidently why i wish one was here for scifi news and movies too)
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby Jynks on Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:26 pm

is it pleaseuredome?? Wierd... ... I woundered wat happend to that place.
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:02 pm

hehe yeah, they switched a while back, tis why their forums are called like the "horrordome" and stuff.

@max i think its chalk and cheese, I get the impression your don't get the kind of stuff i do. Search is the last desperate act of a scoundrel in my world. ed2ks strength does come from forums, which cause persistance and quality to come through. Thats one thing i've learnt in doing this for a long time.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Return to General