DVD Decrypter - DEAD and Gone :(

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

DVD Decrypter - DEAD and Gone :(

Postby Jynks on Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:30 pm

This may be older newws for some of you but I only just found out... DVD Decryptor the best vob ripper ever made is now dead as a dodo... SOB..... let me know if you guys know any replacments for it...

Lightning UK wrote: Hello world,

I"ve got some good news and some bad news.Let’s start with the good.... (tumble weed passes by)Ok, and now onto the bad: DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0 is the last version you"ll ever see.We hoped this day would never come, but it has, and I can promise you, nobody is more gutted about it than I am.

What started as a bit of fun, putting a GUI around some existing code, turned into something that I can only describe as ‘part of me’ – yes, I know that’s sad ;-) As I"ve recently been made aware (by a letter, hand delivered to my door, last Tuesday), due to some law that was changed back in October 2003, circumventing copy protection isn"t allowed.

Ok so it has taken a while (almost 2 years), but eventually "a certain company" has decided they don"t like what I"m doing (circumventing their protection) and have come at me like a pack of wolves. I"ve no choice but to cease everything to do with DVD Decrypter.I realise this is going to be one of those "that sucks - fight them!" kinda things, but at the end of the day, it"s my life and I"m not about to throw it all away (before it has even really started) attempting to fight a battle I can"t possibly win.

If 321 Studios can"t do it with millions, what chance do I have with £50?! As I"m sure most of you have already noticed, the site has been down for a few days. That surprised me as much as the next person (slight breakdown in communication), or I would have issued this statement on it directly.

So anyway, from this point forward, I"m no longer permitted to provide any sort of assistance with anything that helps people infringe the rights of "a certain company".That means, no more emails, no more forum posts, no PM"s, no nothing! END OF STORY.The domain name will be transferred over to the company by the end of the week (9th June, according to the undertakings I have to sign) so don"t email it thinking "Oh, I"ll just ask LIGHTNING UK! for support on this". You"ll not be getting the intended recipient and could be landing yourself in sh1t!

With 3.5.4.0 being the last version, it makes sense for everyone to disable the "check for new versions" feature, as obviously there won"t be any. Of course what I really mean is that you should all stop using the program out of respect for the company’s rights.

Anyone hosting DVD Decrypter is advised to cease doing so immediately. I"ve the feeling they won"t stop with just me. I"m having to contact anyone I know of that is (at the very least, the "mirror" sites), and tell them to stop. Copies of those emails must also be sent to the solicitors so they can check I"m doing everything I"m supposed to. If I don’t, I die.

It is of course down to the owners of those sites to react how they want to. It"s not my job to force you to do anything you don"t want to, I"m just giving you some friendly advice. Maybe it"s just me, but I see this as a bit of an "end of an era". I realise there are other tools, but there"s no telling how much longer they"ll last, and not only that, mine was the oldest! I"ve met loads of great people over the years and I want to take this opportunity to wish them every success for the future - yes DDBT peeps, that includes you lot! : "(I hope you"ve all enjoyed my contribution to the DVD scene and maybe I"ll see ya around sometime.

LIGHTNING UK!
(Author of the once "Ultimate DVD Ripper", DVD Decrypter)

Sad sad sad sad :(
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:38 pm

heh

it doesn't need replacement *yet*
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:43 pm

yea "yet" being the word eh?
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:47 pm

change is inevitable

...mr. anderson. :matrix:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:56 pm

not only is it older but its a tad wrong, dvddecrypter relaunched on a new domain and isn't quite dead, just stalled.

http://www.dvddecrypter.r8.org/
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby Jynks on Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:10 am

wicked.. new somone would know wats the deal was.

Lightning UK wrote:Future development of DVD Decrypter has stopped for now and the program is somewhat of an orphan. Various legal issues prevent further development in it's current form. The program is still available here, at the mirror sites listed and other locations.

Lightning UK wrote:The purpose of this website is to provide support for users of DVD Decrypter, as well as any news of possible future development of DVD Decrypter itself

Hmmm..... a bit confused there .. that is both from the same news section
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:18 pm

well basically he's not allowed to circumnavigat some particular copyright methods, but the other he is. So the future development will be bugfixes, any legal copyright removal and a patch to remove the infringing copyright removal that already exists.

I think what he means is that work will still go on, but not in circumnavigating the copyright features that landed it in bother.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Jynks on Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:50 am

http://www.dvddecrypter.r8.org/

is now deadas well... ... .
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:22 pm

he really should have made it open source whilst he could. Projects like this are always best suited to opensource
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:27 pm

why not just use an old version, im sure u all have it, ive not upgraded mine in yonkers and it still works fine
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby dinky on Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:35 am

Jynks wrote:http://www.dvddecrypter.r8.org/

is now deadas well... ... .
:?
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:19 am

get your crucifixes and stakes, dinky has been possessed by a old topic thread bumper!

You can still get the exe from loads of places still, shame its gone though. Wish it was open source.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Return to General