AVI to DVD

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

AVI to DVD

Postby tmansteve on Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:21 pm

Hi All

Tried to convert an AVI to DVD with not bad results with quality. Only thing was that while looking at the movie it was a little juddery. I am now trying Advanced X Video Converter. This taking ages to do. Is this better taking more time than a rush job????

Still like my AVI's but my dad can only watch DVDs. :wink:

Steve
tmansteve
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby mxyzptlk on Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:28 pm

how bout buying him a divxplayer??
they're almost free nowadays and it'll save you a ton of time
:mrgreen:

kill feed repeat
mxyzptlk
The Ninth Passenger

Postby tmansteve on Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:06 pm

I know your right. But i'm moving to Scotland and Xmas is coming. I would love him to see the films now with me. I suppose i could take my Divx player down.
tmansteve
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby mxyzptlk on Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:00 pm

good idea,it's not like it's as big as a car
:P

kill feed repeat
mxyzptlk
The Ninth Passenger

Postby Jynks on Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:17 pm

I think the easyest way to make a DVD from a AVI is to use Canopus Pro Coder + DVDlab + DVD Rebuilder.

I know it will not give you the perfect quality results, as in you are encoding it twice but avi2dvd is a quality loss anyways. I find that the resulting dvd looks very very close to the original AVI.

Simply convert the avi into a m2p file. (mpeg 2) Canopus can make it so it outputs a seprate video and audio file. I set it to produce a single file with the audio already muxed. That way you reduce the chance of sync errors when dvdlab muxes the audio. I over conpensate. I set the m2p file that is produced to CBR 9000 and maxium quality.

After load the file in dvdlab, build your menus, etc etc. Then produce the DVD, it will be oversized.

Then just use dvdrebuilder to shrink it down to dvdr size. Burn and you are done.

Why use to encodes? Well if you can be bothered with bit rate caculators and all that jazz be my guess. I like this method as it creats a perfectly decent version of the avi and it is almost all automated. Point, load and click. I like that in a app.
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Re: AVI to DVD

Postby twosheds on Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:00 am

I used to use DivxToDVD, and although it's crap at getting the file-sizes to fit, at least it never overshoots 4.5gb and does a good job very quickly.

Anyway that's all behind me now, got a DivX player for £35 which I love.
twosheds
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby mitch-m on Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:09 pm

DVD santa will do the trick in just a couple of clicks have used it hundreds of times
"You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older. Little things like being spanked every day by a middle aged woman: Stuff you pay good money for in later life."
E,P.
mitch-m
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby robin69 on Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:00 am

Can avi files be played on a divxplayer ?
robin69
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:11 am

divx players can play most, but they are cheap for a reason and the manufacturers use poor cpus, etc. so some avis don't play.

They'll play most though yes.

There's one exception that will play almost everything without incident. A modded xbox is by far the best option for standalone xvid playing. You can get a second hand xbox for less than £50. There a thread on how to modify your xbox without buying a modchip or modifying the hardware @ forum.dead-donkey.com in the hadware/software section.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby TeKHeD on Fri May 19, 2006 2:25 pm

DivxToDVD to dvd is the easiest then use dvd shrink to correct oversize problems after
TeKHeD
42?

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat May 20, 2006 12:58 pm

oh dear lord. Can't agree with that at all.

DVDshrink is terrible! never, ever, ever, ever re-encode with that unless you don't care about the quality. Use a proper re-encoder. CCE is the best encoder out there, so use DVDrebuilder which is a one click front end for it :)

In terms of avi to dvd though, if you just use an avisynth script and load that into CCE, you won't have oversize problems.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Return to General