A greeting and a question.

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

A greeting and a question.

Postby kingofsofa on Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:43 am

Hi everyone. congratz with a excelent web site. Im beein amazed about the amount off effort and time someone of you have used on collections and movie watching :)

Im beeing lurking around some days now, clicking and loading my emule with 30GB of film i hadent seen or heard of. until now. 2 crap 5 excenelt movies.

To the question.

When i stumbled over this web site i was looking for a froum like this, but taking historical or middel age movies, like:
In the Name of the Rose. 1986 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091605/
Ivanhoe 1952 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044760/
King Arthur 2004 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0349683/

Well i could post a looooooong list of movies, but i wont bore you people.

Maybe it does not exist? that would be a shame...

Anyway. great site and im going to contribute with some sci-fi rips, and i hope anyone could link me some sites of interess.....

The dead-donkey site is amazing as well. Never seen sucha a big collection of horror. I think im going to rip some Lovecraft movies i got.

-the king of sofa
-best place on earth-
kingofsofa
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:56 pm

Cheers, lots of people here making the sites what they are.

As for the historical movies, there isn't one to my knowledge. Dead-donkey is kind of a special case in that horror is a shunned but popular genre. Wasn't the first, but it was the first real english language site (beyond lists of movies). Scifi was an extension (there's some other scifi sites i'd wager). Maybe there should be more sub domains here?

I think im going to rip some Lovecraft movies i got.

http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic.php?t=4880
:)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby dinky on Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:10 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote: Maybe there should be more sub domains here?

interesting. such as?

I know that classics site is gone - forget the name. obviously there's fantasy. what have you been thinking?
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:36 pm

Other site specific things? Well, off the top of my head:
action + adventure, especially 80s has been requested before
asian is covered by www.acfmovies.com ,
classic - i remember classico or something
comedy has no site for it that i know of
documentaries, there's mvgroup and subsections after everyone copied fh.org
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby kingofsofa on Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:40 pm

Thanks for the interess.

I couldnt fine any midle age forum spesific, a new domain would be intreting.

Something that could reflect more movi themes, like middel age, historial and even religious movies.

I started a thread here.

http://www.sharethefiles.com/forum/view ... 124#245124
-best place on earth-
kingofsofa
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby dinky on Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:58 am

kingofsofa wrote:Something that could reflect more movi themes, like middel age, historial and even religious movies.

/me shudders.

historical fiction & fantasy sounds intriguing to me.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:43 am

I think the charter of this site covers fantasy.... it is a long going argument over content on this site.. wat is scifi, what is fantasy etc etc etc... Though I am pretty sure that fantasy is a valid post.

fileheaven.org is a great site for generic "famous" movies of all types... lots of stuff there. Include the moves you mentioned in your first post

PS - Hmm about time I updated that lovecraft post :(
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:59 pm

I agree, comics, scifi and fantasy kind of go together. Historical sounds neat, but how many are there and how much interest is there?

Something that works with horror and scifi is that a lot of it is really rare, cheap and innovative. Does that translate well into the other genres?

As for fh. don't say that in front of dink (he's a bothan spy :lol: ), fh.org is not a movie site apparantly, or so i've been told. Don't know when it suddenly changed. :wacky:

If you ask me, my favourite sites have always been the specific ones. I prefered FN because it had a stronger community (forum over frontpage) until they messed it up and overreached. I prefered fh over the others because it was about movies rather than portal/0day. The sites tend to have a tighter community, more helpful people and (select) topics, plus the content is always stronger.

There's always a place for generic portals and there's a lot of them, but imo, the more motivated and organised the structure and content, the less problems there'll be as time progresses.

On the flip side the portals attract more users, however, sometimes that's a bad thing given how varied the interests and personalities are. All seems to degenerate historically.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby kingofsofa on Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:33 pm

Jynks wrote:I think the charter of this site covers fantasy.... it is a long going argument over content on this site.. wat is scifi, what is fantasy etc etc etc... Though I am pretty sure that fantasy is a valid post.

fileheaven.org is a great site for generic "famous" movies of all types... lots of stuff there. Include the moves you mentioned in your first post

PS - Hmm about time I updated that lovecraft post :(

I tried to enter but i opnly get a loggin screen with no registering section.
is the page buggged?
-best place on earth-
kingofsofa
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby dinky on Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:47 pm

@kingofsofa - registration is closed.

I do see how sci-fi & fantasy go together. and they should. and most horror is basically a specific kind of fantasy. I was thinking the same when I lumped it in with historical stuff.

so stuff like king arthur</i> or first knight</i> or braveheart</i> would all fit (the first two are kind of mythical material - "fantasy" - and the third is "historical fiction" proper). there are at least a dozen movies on authurian legend alone. throw in the dungeons and dragon's stuff. and 13th warrior (retelling of beowulf). of course anything that tackles the mythologies of past cultures (troy, helen of troy, there must be norse stuff?). legend. labyrinth. dark crystal. the patriot. north & south. gettysburg. a whole slew of westerns could even be a site in itself.

iunno. his. fiction tends to bleed into fantasy for me.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:33 pm

well.. I would be happy with say a post of excalabur on this fourm but somthing like rob roy I wouldn't. In the oposite direction, I'd be fine with say Xena TV show but iffy about Troy the movie.... stil I think it is all fairly mute... I mean we want the site to be a place to find wat your interested in, so it needs to be moderated but if you think somthing should go here post it.. the mods can always del or move.

For example I would never have deleted those docs.. once they were posted... users of the site seam to relly enjoy them.. there is a lot of them after all... so some people interested in scifi are also interested in them.. I would have just moved them all into a new doco section just for them.
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:57 pm

I think the distinction I really had in mind was futuristic versus historical. I mean, 1984 is in the past, but it's obviously forward looking. and star wars starts off "a long time ago...." but that was clearly futuristic in scope from the point of view of its creation. on the other hand, u571 (yes, I'm testing your gag reflex, ok?), excalibur, roar (defunct '96 tv), troy, enemy at the gates, LotR would all be lumped into historical cuz they look 'back' to times/places that are past, even if imaginary (lotr).

iunno. just dreaming about anyway. 'tis moot, as you say.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:11 pm

I would have just moved them all into a new doco section just for them.

You mean like the oil thread, and the hidden US tax system? No way. The conspiracy theory had some kind of purpose but it went off topic way too fast, the section was 99% off topic in the end, and the there were too many complaints.

There's 1 site that caters exclusively to conspiracy theories I know of, and one big one that has a section for just that, but when you mix it in with scifi documentries, it just swamped the section with crap.

Adding a section might have worked if this wasn't a scifi site, and it was pushing it, so ultimately deletion was the only sound choice.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Jynks on Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:02 am

fair enough... the doc section was pretty usless if you were interested in science or science fiction docs though :)
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:00 pm

don't agree with that at all :? Infact its kind of wrong, since i've clicked loads of links and they were all scifi or science documentries, and the inhabitants of that section are almost entirely that. :?

Unless you mean weren't instead of were... then it makes sense, and the answer to that is this is a scifi site so if your not interested in scifi its the wrong place :) :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:47 pm

ignore spud. he's still stewing over his gaff in the blade thread and is trying desperately to catch someone else in a similar misreading.
:wacky: :P
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:15 am

don't flatter yourself dinkster ;)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:05 am

I mock you with my grammar stick!