Waiting for download (in vain ?)

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Waiting for download (in vain ?)

Postby robin69 on Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:41 pm

I've Read the FAQ and done a search on the site but I still can't see what I'm doing wrong. It is almost certainly something mind blowingly obvious.

I have donwloaded and installed emule v0.46c, in eager anticipation i clicked on the link to the avi to download (1st episode of Crusade) and this appears in my list of transfers in eMule, but then it just sits there Waiting...

I have connected to Kad and ed2k, the priority is high and the size and remaining are the same (348MB).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, the pc is on the verge of going out the window...

:cry: :evil:
robin69
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:12 pm

1. Make sure your connection is totally configured, that is you don't have crap like windows internal firewall on, your ports are completely free (and changed to open ones if blocked), and that you have a high id and connected to razorback2.0 and KAD.
2. Ensure your upload is at 80% of the line, that is, not below 10kb/s and not at full capacity since that will kill your line
3. Queue up about 20-30 downloads, or more
4. Leave it alone for 2-4 days, whilst you build up your credit files. You should have downloaded some by then, if not completed.

Emule needs upload to build credits, you need credits to get higher ranking in queues, you need higher ranking in queues to start transferring, you need lots of transfers to get high speeds.

Thusly, new users always complain about emule. There's some things to check and ensure (firewall, settings, connection settings etc.), but most of the time its because they've not been connected long enough, or they connect for an hour and close it down. Emule only works initially if its 24/7 or near enough. Once you get high queue ratings, you can normally just pop on and then your transfers will start because you've given a lot of data out.

Unlike bittorrent, queue sizes and chunks are huge (whereas they are tiny queues for little bits on bittorrent [i assume that's what the bit refers to in its name]). Its slowness has a lot to do with the vast wealth of stuff available.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby robin69 on Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:55 pm

Thanks for that. As leaving the PC on 24/7 is not practical at present, would I be better with edonkey2000 ?
robin69
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby spudthedestroyer on Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:35 pm

not really, that crummy program has been redundant for ages and your likely not to see any sources for a lot of releases here. The claims that it is substantially faster are untrue.

It suffers from the same problem, large queue sizes and your likely not to get anything of emule clients which form 90% of the network or there abouts.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Jynks on Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:32 am

If you can not have your pooter up 24/7 you might be better off using bitorrent. It has nothing like the ammount of files and you kinda need to be on the ball as they are only around for a short time but they download real fast

mininova.org
newnova.org
torrentspy.com
thepiratebay.org

And for a client try
utorrent.com
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:35 am

well i wouldn't say public tracker ones download real fast anymore, normally they trickle at no faster than 40kbs-60kbs, private trackers on the other hand tend do go real full-line fast.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Jynks on Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:05 am

still a lot quicker then emule
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:45 pm

if that's a steady 40-60 (on one file), then hell yes. faster than emule.

for emule, you don't need anything like 24/7 to down movies/dvd rips, but 5-10 chunks of time are advisable. anything less isn't going to move much cuz you have to move up people's queues, and crusade isn't exactly powershared these days.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:18 pm

dinky wrote:if that's a steady 40-60 (on one file), then hell yes. faster than emule.

for emule, you don't need anything like 24/7 to down movies/dvd rips, but 5-10 chunks of time are advisable. anything less isn't going to move much cuz you have to move up people's queues, and crusade isn't exactly powershared these days.

i think you'll find its needed when you completely new dink, when was the last time you started over? ;)

The biggest solution to new users is to initially leave your computer on 24/7 for a period until you build up your credits else you get nowhere. Its the same advice i've been giving people for ages and it works.

Once you have credits behind you then you don't have to run it 24/7 anymore, i certainly don't. But if i erase my client and start again i do.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:40 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:i think you'll find its needed when you completely new dink, when was the last time you started over? ;)

couple weeks ago. razorback stopped accepting my client. :lol:

edit: someone watch something and post in latest movie thread. I'm bored. :lol:
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Return to General