Just HOW do you make high quality rips??

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Just HOW do you make high quality rips??

Postby Jynks on Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:48 am

I have been trying to figure out how to make high quality avis for some time now.. often I end up just giving up and using AutoGK. They make quite noce loking rips but have many problems.. Even with autoGK when I make a rip it is nothing like the quality of the rips I download from some of the release groups....

I was hoping that some people on this fourm would be interested in helping me make a nice quality rip in this thread.. I will then create a nice easy to use tutorial out of theinfomation gathered here.

Here are my first questions

1) I know about the tutorials on Doom9. They are so old, are they still valid, and is that the way they should be done?

2) AutoGK always seams to have a problem with the aspect ratio. Say I have a move that says on the back of the DVD [2.35:1 Anamorphic] What should the pixle aspect be?

3) When I autoGK, I never really worried about the Pixle aspect as even if the movie is slightly squeezed or stretched, by switching the Xbox XBMC player in ot say 14:9 it would fix that. So when you make a file are you ment to make a exact ratio of the source or are you ment to stretch it or shrink it a little to look perfect

4) At the moment all the files I have backed up for personal use have been width of 704pixles wide. Any thoughts on this?
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:52 am

1) use gknot, its not hard, it just looks complicated. The guide covers the basics.
2) That's because its crap, and computers are stupid :wacky: 2.35:1 = 16:9 + cropping.
3) don't use autogknot
/me hits jynks with a stick.

4) At the moment all the files I have backed up for personal use have been width of 704pixles wide. Any thoughts on this?

:outsider:

why would you do that? :lol:

Resolution should really change depending on circumstance. Unless your killing your rip with over the top bandwidth with 2/3cds then that's pushing a case for 704 pixels, but there's a set of people who just leave it at 704x for all their rips for absolutely no justifiable reason. Large resolution doesn't automatically mean better quality, to the contrary, large resolution with a small bitrate can mean worse quality.

You need to choose a resolution based on how much the movie compresses. Its not a good idea to rip at that resolution if you don't have the bitrate to back it up.

My main suggestion would be to switch to gknot.
Then approach the rip based on goals (ie. deserved of 1cd, 2cd, etc.). A lot of the stuff i rip is horror so I press for the 1cd most of the time. If your not a newbie, don't bother with this link, but if you are, there's some very rough and ready going over of all the options:
http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic.php?t=7124
I tend to do a compressibility test, not that it shows much but it shows you what ballpark your in.

Once you get all the basics down, take a look at some advanced matrices, I use Jawor's 1CD Matrix a lot, it doesn't get as messy as the alternative. For overkill/large bitrate rips, use MPEG matrix.

You might also want to look into avisynth scripts, but this means editing your avisynth script. If you've got ringing, i've been told HQDering-v0.1 is good at tackling that... if your source needs sharpening up you can try LimitedSharpen or pSharpen. Finally if your an animation fan and you've got haloing, BlindDeHalo2 seems to be a good choice. I started playing with these filters myself after reading through a thread at fileheaven.org on the matter and the doom9 forums.

Be prepared to do multiple rips, that's the best way to get highest quality.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby Jynks on Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:17 am

So the doom9 tutorials are still valid to follow?
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:44 pm

absolutely, for gknot it shows you what's what.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:00 pm

oh yeah, don't be under any illusions about me knowing what I'mn talking about, i don't and i'm not someone that makes brilliant awinspiring rips. Most of what i rip is old crappy looking prints.

Just try and make sure people don't have the excuses to do poorer rips. I'd like to think i've helped improve the quality of horror rips being released here and there by repeating what little i know, but i doubt it :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Return to General