Whats going on in the world of science?

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Whats going on in the world of science?

Postby Jynks on Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:23 pm

I was thinking that a few more threads like the ever popular "The last movie you saw..." So here is my attempt at one... I have tried to start others but had no luck :(

In this thread post any cool info you hear about space exploration. medical reaserch.. well.. anything to do with science or scientific breakthroughs... any thoughts etc etc.

To start off why not check out the Cassini Mission page at NASA
here or here

The cassini mission came into focus around 2004 when the probe made contact with saturn and titan. The interesting thing about titan that like europa is the most likely place as far as hard science goose for finding life. Unfortunately the fact that it is currently experiencing the biggest thunderstorm man has ever known is a bit of a draw back. Currently the storm is a tad bigger that the continental united states and packs electrical energy over 1000 times that we get on earth.

Check those links... they have some cool mp3s of the radio satilights so you can hear the storm for yourself.
Last edited by Jynks on Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:29 pm

that Hulk in your sig. looks like the little kid in Meet the Fockers</i> when he makes the sign for <s>titties</s> milk. :wacky:

er...part of the "charm" of the last movie thread is that we're rarely on topic. and on that note:

space is over my head. :drunk:

and between my ears :googley:
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:00 am

Heard about his rather cool company. They are heavily involved in US military research.. but hey.. like 98% of the world scientists are so go figure... In fact that pisses me off a lot. I remember once reading about a guy studying the human consioness by trying to build an AI, with a budget of 800,000US a year (a HUGE budget for a uni) while we see a crap movie that only makes it to cable as coast multi mullions.. oh well..

End of rant..

Here check these robots out

Boston Robotics

Spesh the larger robotic dog, though I think all robots are pretty cool.
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby Argwaan on Tue May 16, 2006 8:30 pm

Serious research into a hyperdrive theory:

http://www.newscientistspace.com/articl ... space.html

probably wont work, but the fact that it's taken seriously is a step in the right direction
-Argwaan
Argwaan
Red Shirted Trekker

Return to General