what's your fav scifi series & why

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby elguaxo on Mon May 22, 2006 12:05 am

I don't know if Sci-Fi Anime qualifies, if yes, my favorite scifi series at the moment is Planet ES. I love the story and character development. And the soundtrack is very good too! If someone is interested, you can get the series here (BT or ed2k): http://www.kickassanime.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1360
elguaxo
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby skhwoody on Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:59 am

I love most Sci-fi and have grown up on a good diet of it over the years.

Love on tv red dwarf, blakes 7, millenium, quantum leap, dr who (tom baker years), even as a young un Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers. also sorry to say Star Trek TNG although if they had had the nerve and gone dirty with it i think it would have gotten better than anyone ever expected. I cannot stand buffy, angel etal i could not understand the enjoyment of those.

My absolute fav at the minute which i only found a few months back is Firefly, stumbled onto it by accident and the series (only 12 episodes) is one of the best written i sci fi shows i have ever watched. Film serenity not bad, but i would have prefered another series instead.

Maybe my adour will cool in time but for the moment i have to go with firefly being my fav.
skhwoody
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby Jynks on Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:24 pm

sorry to say Star Trek TNG

No need to have the qualifier.. TREK RULES!!!

I like all the shows you mentioned heaps.. BUT buck Rogers... i recently got the box sets of them and just havn't been able to sit though them.... not like original BSG... that show still kicks ass.
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:04 pm

Jynks wrote:
sorry to say Star Trek TNG

No need to have the qualifier..

no. but the apology is quite appropriate. :razz:
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:15 pm

buck rogers is awesome jynks, well season 1 anyway, season 2 is take it or leave it really and is obviously trying ot cash in on the popularity of the original bsg

i think the only real qualifier you need when ti comes to trek is when your talking about deep shit 9, to me the whole star trek thing is exploration, and without wishing to sound cliche, to seek out new worlds and new civilisations, ds9 does none of this so to me its the worst one, tng had some of that but was still a little too politics based sometimes

i also can't see the enjoyment in buffy and angel even on eye candy levels theres not really much to work with.

i never really got into millenium, well i say i never got into i never actually watched it.

A series i really liked was Seven Days, always finding new ideas for the idea of time travel and the stories were pretty good too, and Johnathan LaPaglia was perfectly cast as wisecrackin' antihero Frank B. Parker, infact in some respects i think he (and this isn't meant as sacrilige) would make a good bruce campbell replacement if they ever remade evil dead and bruce wasn't interested (what they are?) obviously in an ideal world nobody can replace Bruce Almighty (ok that was unintentional) but in reality you know hollywood would
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby demoz on Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:50 pm

Farscape and b.b.b.buck rogers rock.

And of course dr who, red dwarf, and hyper drive all these shows are among my fav's never been much of a trekkie.
and then of course the hitchikers guide never leave home without it.

And don't forget upcoming torchwood series! :moon:
demoz
Skutter

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:32 pm

torchwood as in a spinoff of the torchwood institute in doctor who?
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby Jynks on Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:41 am

maxpayne2409 wrote:torchwood as in a spinoff of the torchwood institute in doctor who?

yup... I would prefer a 20 ep season od Dr Who

demoz wrote:hyper drive

Is that show started season 2 yet? I wasn't to great but had some potential i think. Still better than watching some of the opther options around.
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:46 am

i didnt know there was a doctor who spinoff coming out called torchwood, when does it start? and who is in it (no pun intended)

i thought hyperdrive was a real let down concidering who was involved, my favourite character had to be jeffers, especially when he blasted the alien war song around the ship "kill the humans, kill them all"
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby Jynks on Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:10 am

max wrote:i never really got into millenium, well i say i never got into i never actually watched it.

millenium changed radicaly after the network dicided that the original premise (Se7en the TV show) was to hardcore for US TV on fox... still if you watch the first season only there are some very good eps... .
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:32 pm

methinks it was a ratings decision first and foremost, as (almost) always.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:14 pm

maybe i will give it a miss instead jynks, i don't really like se7en, found ti boring
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby JLmaXe on Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:59 pm

lol
----------------------------------
JLmaXe
Skutter

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:30 pm

ah so jlmaXe is just saying lol in threads to boost his post count, great
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby Black on Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:51 am

Dr Who is a classic, I grew up with it so I guess that's the main reason I love it. The original Trek is cool too, Blakes 7 is a killer show.

Anime stuff gets my vote too some of the Gundam stuff is really good (Turn A is a stand out series) though the Seed and Seed destiny are pretty much just reworks of 0079 and Zeta since the Newtypes with '70's 'New Age' abilities are replaced by the Genetically enhanced Coordinators in much the same that both the recent Spiderman and Hulk films messed with the characters origins to include genetic engineering.

Buck Roger is class and BSG, the X Files was very hit and miss, Babylon 5 was ok at the time but I couldn't watch it again.

I've really enjoyed the Blade series so far. Angel was ok, Buffy had some decent episodes but a lot of dull stuff too.

Dark Angel was watchable, Ultraviolet was ok. Slider was a bit hit and miss.
[]
Black
Having trouble with tribbles

Postby fox force five on Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:17 pm

the best would have to be babylon 5.
had the most fluided story line to any other sci-fi series.
fox force five
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby mxyzptlk on Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:37 pm

fox force five wrote:the best would have to be babylon 5.
had the most fluided story line to any other sci-fi series.
:eatthis:

kill feed repeat
mxyzptlk
The Ninth Passenger

Postby maxpayne2409 on Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:51 pm

im guessing you dont agree there mxyzptik :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:33 pm

actually, this was what caused me to do a double-take:
Black wrote:Ultraviolet was ok.

I hope to GOD that there's some ultraviolet</i> sci-fi series that has nothing whatever to do with that terrible trainwreck of a milla jovich movie.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:35 pm

there is, it was a vampire-y tv series in the uk starring jack davenport (you may know him as the english captain in pirates of the caribbean) back in 1996, whether black is refering to that series tho is anyones guess
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

PreviousNext

Return to General