what's your fav scifi series & why

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

what's your fav scifi series & why

Postby mxyzptlk on Thu May 04, 2006 7:31 pm

since doc claims the scifi board is dying....we'll keep it alive :wink:

what is your fav scifi series & why(a few reasons will do & afterwards we can start having fights over it :wink:)

so here goes,I've seen lots of stuff in my time(good & crap) but for some reason the show I like best stays Blake's 7 coz:

-the underdog is the hero point of view
-the Avon character
-it has Liberator in it (which IMO is the coolest spaceship ever)
-I usually like anything that has a fascist society in it (prolly a character flaw on my behalf :wink:)
-best final episode any show ever
Last edited by mxyzptlk on Thu May 04, 2006 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kill feed repeat
mxyzptlk
The Ninth Passenger

Postby Jynks on Thu May 04, 2006 8:59 pm

Blakes 7 dose rock. Avon is the coolest charicter I have to admit!!! Any any sci fi where there is a charicter like orack.. well wat more can you say :) BTW did anyone else think the ship was kinda ripped off in Lexx? As in the portal inside the bridge?

Well I hate to be the one to do it but I have to. Best ever has to be Startreck The Original Series. That show rules. It is so good there is just not much you need to say about it. Yu all know it is the best, but your all just trying to be to cool and not saying it :)

Close 2nd would b doctor who... I really had a hard time choosing. :)
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby mxyzptlk on Thu May 04, 2006 9:34 pm

hmm...original trek was good indeed (not saying anything bout all the rest that spawned from it later)

& off course the doctor was/is also an excellent choice :beerchug:

kill feed repeat
mxyzptlk
The Ninth Passenger

Postby dinky on Fri May 05, 2006 12:22 am

so this is all-time fave series then? or current/on-going?
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Fri May 05, 2006 5:38 am

well since Blake's 7 is long dead dink, the former.

-best final episode any show ever

Depends if a 3hr miniseries counts as a final episode?

My absolute favourite is Farscape. The reason is a cumulation of a lot of things it gets so very right. When I first saw Farscape I made the mistake of thinking it was some silly Star Trek like show, with muppets. Thinking back that was such a stupid thing to do, its really, really retarded. Very embarassing, but I suspect a hell of a lot of people make that mistake. Even though I had this false assumption the aspethic value was something that really had me watching, its got some of the best alien effects makeup on tv shows because its radically different. Not everyone is a 6ft7 bipod with a facial attachment, you get a birrage of very unique and very alien looking aliens. In a similar vein, it visually is in a different colour scheme to the rest of the genre (barring possibly shows like LEXX). You have very vivid and wide range of colours on the screen and it once again looks very alien. But most of all, its got to be character development and story arks. Whilst the first series is a bit more episodic, the further on you watch the more unstoppable it is, the stories pan into 2 parters, then 3 parters in addition to the season long ark, and series 3 and 4 is pretty much all relevant to a singular continual story. So that puts it firmly outside of the Star Trek fluffy camp which i dispise. The characters are all very appealing, and as the show went on they picked up and lose more. There's something about the characters thatis so very different, they always do the wrong thing first. They always mess up, always, and it makes it all the more addictive. There's an earlier episode that seems pretty nasty when you step back and see what the characters do; when given the opportunity to get star charts to get home, D'argo and Zhaan rip off one of pilot's arms as payment. There's just not that many shows where central character's do the wrong thing. And despite the weird and wonderful, its still down to earth and gorey, blood (quite a bit), sweat, puss and tears... there's some pretty gorey effects, mutated aliens and deformity seems to be present. By series four farscape is flying, the series builds and things just get worse and worse, which means they got more reactionary and desperate which means they make more mistakes, which means lots of fighting and the reason the show is so active is because it just keeps building. I was very happy for the PeaceKeeper wars miniseries (great miniseries btw, i'd watch that over any hollywood scifi movie any day, and do) and even though it allows for a level of completion (and its the cumulation of the four series of pressure that's built up on Crighton), the show just leaves you wanting more.

You can tell that every single person involved in the show loves it to bits, and you'll obviously know that fan reaction to it is overwhelming.

So visually and creatively its superior to any series I've ever seen, the story and characters are some of the best executed and appealing of any show, it well shot and put together. It really is just a simple matter of it being superior to pretty much any show comparatively, there might be shows that have moments of excellence, but Farscape just gets better and better.

Its brilliance makes you feel like a complete moron for the early misconception that people seem to get.

I can't describe the feeling i got from sitting down and watching all of the farscape episodes for the first time. Tops any other, and I am a long time fan of another scif show that I love to bits that people don't normally put down when asked "what's your favourite scifi show?". Yet, until Farscape it was a clear favourite, an absolute classic and one of the best series in two particular genres. Scifi and sitcom. Obviously that means I'm talking about Red Dwarf. When that first came out... wow, what a real kick in the teeth to star trek, and comedy as a whole. It was really funny, based on truely great writing. Some of my favourite quotes come from Red Dwarf, and i recommend it without hesitation. On top of the fact its piss funny, it also has a really great pessimitic viewpoint there are absolutely no aliens in red dwarf, humans have travelled all over the universe and not seen a single intelligent alien. On top of that, its highly suggestive (and infact stated) there's no indication of God either. That makes it even funnier because they've got absolutely nothing to do or reason for living. Series 7 and series 8s were a downer, although watching 7 now i'm a lot more tolerant of it than i was. Series 6 is without a shadow of a doubt the best series, as much as i adore series 1 and 2... and 5... and 4, 6 has to be the best.

Futurama is another great scifi comedy. It really was very well written and is well deserving of the come back. It was a mistake for fox to cancel it, and i'm surprised they took so long picking it back up. Its better than the simpsons. If it weren't for south park it would be the best cartoon without competition.

I'm extremely anti-star trek, i've seen pretty much every episode of ds9 and most of tng and tos, and voyager, and dispise them for what they do. There's no continual storyline, and very little hook beyond that. The characters are very shallow, with very little mistakes or lapses, they might do something wrong and must overcome a challenge by the end of the episode, and then its completely forgotten for all time. Its the same kind of "oh reverse the drive plates" kind of attitude that makes weak stories; its all forgotten and has no impact on its existance, there's no message or statement, etc.. I just don't have any emotional attachment to it. Sure everyone loves patrick stewart, etc. but to be honest, all i ever got from star trek was an appreciation of what William Shatner and Patrick Stewart, etc. play up them being in star trek (ie they do some great comedy shows, etc). But as for the shows, not really any value for me.

Carnivale is a very, very good show. I really loved it. Its a totally different kettle of fish to Farscape, and visually its one of the best series I've ever seen also. Very high production value, very twisted storyline; heaven vs. hell, good vs. evil.

I might come back and give a list of recommendations and shorter whys later when i'm not so tired.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby mxyzptlk on Fri May 05, 2006 7:29 am

Carnivale was good indeed,with well worked out charactars,the way it was filmed also had some actors in it that I had long forgtoone.Got a great feel from it from the start of the first ep(that rarely happens).And they gave you just enough info to wanna see the next ep,so basically I was hooked from the first ep :mrgreen:

kill feed repeat
mxyzptlk
The Ninth Passenger

Postby dinky on Fri May 05, 2006 11:56 pm

hmm...it's weird, cuz I only watched the first couple of seasons, but I think X-Files stands the test of time.

I'm sure imma get flamed, but maybe not if I lay off the farscape thing: Buffy: The Vampire Slayer

BSG is a real heavy hitter atm, but iunno. it's still early for that one.

never saw any of the brit shows (assuming that's what blake's 7 was?)

I guess my fave sci-fi series were cartoons. the 90s batman & superman. the 90s x-men. beast wars/beastmachines. I guess Ducktales is stretching it for sci-fi. Gargoyles was awesome. The Clone Wars animated series was excellent. as my office mate pointed out, the original Voltron was the only 'toon of its time willing to kill off one if its featured heros (unfortunately replacing him with the pink power ranger).

like spud, I've seen more star trek than I haven't (including all of the original and NG series), but can't say I'm fond of it. they are dumb. though I guess I'm one of the few who thought Enterprise was a breath of fresh air to an otherwise lame universe. but the feel is just wrong on ST. and I think they tried to dress people up to look as gay as possible - as a general rule in all of the ST shows.

carnivale was</i> very good (more of a horror/macabre/gothic angle than what I think of for sci-fi), but it didn't have much of a chance to flourish. hard to say it was so great. I thought the season-cum-series finale was kind of cheap (she fecking revives him? I prefer it when dead characters die).
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Mon May 08, 2006 6:30 am

Ducktales is stretching it for sci-fi.

lol

I think I would put Futurama above Red Dwalf for scifi comedy with hitchhickers RADIO show well above that.
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon May 08, 2006 6:57 am

hmm...it's weird, cuz I only watched the first couple of seasons, but I think X-Files stands the test of time.

Season 1
Scully: To the best of my knowledge, Agent Mulder is dead.

Season 2

Season 3

Season 4

Season 5

Season 6

Season 7

Season 8

Season 9

:lol:

Not very clever really was she :lol:

[about carnivale] I think of for sci-fi

They didn't have chance to get to the A-Bomb ending :( There's meant to be 2 more series of Carnivale, but the network thought otherwise and wanted more cardboard sheilds in rome :roll:

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer

Without which the dialogue in Farscape wouldn't have been as good. Although Angel was probably better than buffy since you get more "figh'in round the world" and less shite seasons :wacky:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby mxyzptlk on Mon May 08, 2006 7:35 am

I liked Angel better than Buffy(which I never finished by the way)
he words 'more mature' come to mind....& now they're gone again :wink:

no really,Angel was the better show IMO

kill feed repeat
mxyzptlk
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon May 08, 2006 7:49 am

its wasn't more mature, it was just more violent and gory. Apart from that it was just the same, except without the gay downward spiral in buffy.

I've seen all of the buffy and angel episodes, i tend to match stuff even if i don't like it very much, as long as its not terrible. Is why i've seen most star treks. The only one I couldn't watch was enterprise, I hated it... its so, so awful. Voyager makes me mad, but then i watch more and it makes me even more furious :lol: But that's because i wanted to beat the shit out of all the characters. oh apart from the doctor in that cos he rules :) Speaking of star trek doctors, the one in ds9 is hilarious... he can't act at all. Check out any episode where he has to be "evil"... its a riot :googley:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby mxyzptlk on Mon May 08, 2006 11:09 am

i tried 1ep of enterprise when it started,didn't even finish it.that show really stank :wink:

kill feed repeat
mxyzptlk
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon May 08, 2006 11:46 am

yeah, i saw the first and second part (iirc a two parter) and it really was droll.

"oh look at me I have a dog on a ship"

Good for you c'ptin... "Ziggy says you gotta work the shaft... yeah that's it, work it"
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Jynks on Mon May 08, 2006 12:16 pm

liked Angel better than Buffy(w

Spesh that bit where there was the thrid personality. The guy with the cigar. Wat happened 2 him
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon May 08, 2006 12:31 pm

Jynks wrote:
liked Angel better than Buffy(w

Spesh that bit where there was the thrid personality. The guy with the cigar. Wat happened 2 him

okay have i spaced on a series or something? Third personality... refresh my mind, you talking about Angel->ous having those lapses? Was that when he hacked all those people up and set someone on fire?
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Mon May 08, 2006 6:23 pm

buffy</i> was a lot smarter than angel</i>. and they both developed some really terrible seasons. the last ones on buffy</i> were similar in drop to that of (I'm told) x-files</i>. but then again, if your aesthetic is gore and action, I can see why you'd prefer angel</i>. of course, a lot of the appeal to buffy</i> is cultural - american teenager/school experience.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Mon May 08, 2006 10:46 pm

okay have i spaced on a series or something? Third personality... refresh my mind

Um, there was Angel, and Angelis. The Good and the Bad. Then in the series Angel a thrid personality showed up, where he smoked a cigar and was ebven more evil than Angelis. I can not remeber what ep it was but that blond he had a kid with and that crazy chick that spike was in love with were in the ep.

I think he only showed up once but I really liked it and always was waiting for cigar man to come back.
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon May 08, 2006 11:07 pm

i wouldve read all that but u started goin on about buffy and angel for too many threads and i hate those shows so fuck it lol

my fave show ever is doctor who, red dwarf second, st tos is a great show too, hmm sliders (season 1-first half of 3) were great too then it went all movie rip off of the week shit
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby mxyzptlk on Mon May 08, 2006 11:20 pm

ok,shut your holes bout buffy or the topic will die!! :wink:

kill feed repeat
mxyzptlk
The Ninth Passenger

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon May 08, 2006 11:49 pm

haha, talk about it, i jsut dont have to read it :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe