what's your fav scifi series & why

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby Black on Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:44 pm

No worries Dinky, I knew what you meant. Now if they can only make a John Wayne Scifi flick directed by John Woo and written by Joss Whendon. I'll be happy. :)
[]
Black
Having trouble with tribbles

Postby Jynks on Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:42 am

Joss is doing wonder woman at the moment... witch really blows as all the rights are to WW is tied up... that is why we havn't seen her yet in smallville and she will not be on the Justice leauge smallville ep. :(
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:49 am

speaking of JL...who was the guy who saved clark from the bone-sucker? I didn't recognize him as any particular DC hero - although I have to admit to not knowing the DC universe very well.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:41 am

That would be Martian Manhunter. The clue is the oreos clarck kept stepping on, as in the comic he is constantly munching on them.

Martian Manhunter @ wikkipedia

I would really like a full Justice Leage live action.... there wasa crappy pilot done a while back but it was so bad it was nvr relesed I do not k=think you can get it on mule... kinda like the american red dwalf pilot.

With any luck They will launch a ne wtv show with the same cast when smallville dies off.... BUT the JLA has so many heros in it they could easly do them side by siade (alla Ds9 + Voy) as superman wouldn't need to be in every ep.
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:38 pm

oh. the green guy. :lol: I actually like the visualization on smallville</i>, but I'm sure glad you're here to tell me who he was. :lol:

I doubt they'd be able to pull off a live action JLA. It would require a lot</i> of action. kinda like heroes</i> to the power of ten or however many heroes they use for JLA. and if they tried to do it like smallville</i>, I'd prolly be bored to tears with all the soap opera shite.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:34 pm

narrr .. i think a cool JLA tv show would rock
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:51 pm

me too. just don't think they (the CW network) could pull it off. :razz:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:54 pm

I think they can pull it off it is more the problem of doing the rights to it all.. what with batman, superman, woundre woman, the flash, green hornet etc etc etc etc.
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby MyK on Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:33 pm

Is it just me or has this thread really gone astray? I'd like to read what others feel is their favorite sci-fi series also, not just select few of us sci-fi fanatics. Is it possible so few of us bother? Or am I just drunk and the world is all roses? :vomit:
:beerchug: :rock: :beerchug: :rock: :beerchug: :drunk:
"The products suck! There's no sex in them anymore!" (Steve Jobs)
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:32 am

myk you think this threads bad, check out the "last movie you saw" thread, for about 6 months it's just been Dinky, Spud and myself. people read they just don't post coz they are idle slackers

@jynks
With any luck They will launch a new tv show with the same cast when smallville dies off.... BUT the JLA has so many heroes in it they could easly do them side by side (alla Ds9 + Voy)

kinda like they did with aquaman?? :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby MyK on Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:11 am

for about 6 months it's just been Dinky, Spud and myself

Wish I had better ability to express myself in English-- I'm trying, though ;)
people read they just don't post coz they are idle slackers

That must be true, just checked how many people have seen certain threads and never posted a reply. I know it's speculative as there's no way of telling who clicked on what for real. I just doubt a handful of people that do post replies are re-reading it over and over again :roll:

To return to the subject at hand, I never wrote why I liked those series I posted as my favs... I was kinda hoping someone will notice that-- Did someone else watch "Red Space" on Discovery? I know it was called that on DC and it was last aired some two years ago early mornings, just can't find it anywhere else :googley:
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:02 pm

Wish I had better ability to express myself in English-- I'm trying, though

that's ok we allow dinky to talk and he can't really string a sentence together either :lol:

nope never seen red space
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby SadGeezer on Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:15 am

WoW, only two people mentioned Babylon 5 and nobody mentioned LEXX!

Those are my two fave Sci Fi shows.

Babylon 5 is a classic and seminal work because it was the brainchild of one person, not a team of script writers (yeah I know others wrote episodes, but it was the vision of one person). Why is that important, welp, in one of the episodes in the first season, Londo has a premonition of a shitload of bloody scary looking spaceships flying over his home planets capital city (Shadows) and this was long before we even knew what the Shadows were. In the fourth season we actually see his premonition come true!!!

The story arc was massive!!! You just don't see that sort of thing in sci fi anymore (or previously for that matter). JMS's vision was astounding! He developed characters that we still miss to this day and I can still watch episodes 10 years after they were originally shown with the same enthusiasm as when they first aired.

LEXX was written by three college buddies in Halifax, Nova Scotia (I've met these guys and they are nuts!). The first season is like watching a Hollywood epic written by talented graduates stoned on dope with HUGE budgets! The special effects were absolutely groundbreaking (done in Germany because Pixar and the other dude couldn't handle the computing power needed - and they were too expensive) and although there were a couple of render errors, the story, effects, sexy leading lady and total anti-hero (Stanley Tweedle) made me a fanatic about the show.

Although the production company fucked up in the last series (4), LEXX will always be the most groundbreaking (weird ass stuff) sci fi show - I honestly can't see anything getting as close.

Aeon Flux (animated series and Cowboy Bebop/Outlaw Star (which influenced Weddon to make Firefly) are also worth a mention and of course the Brit series Red Dwarf and Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy are exceptional because they managed to make sci fi comedy - nobody has managed to do that since (sept 3rd Rock - which wasn't very good I don't think).

Whew. Bit of a rant that, but ..... well, you asked :)
SadGeezer
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby dinky on Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:36 pm

Lexx gets mentioned quite a lot here, actually. granted, it's usually in mockery. but...well...there you go. ;)

re myk: I either don't watch or have never heard of the stuff that made your lists (mostly uk stuff)

but if I must...umm...BSG needs to find its way onto your drama list. 3rd rock from the sun was a decent sitcom, but there have to be 3 better sci-fi comedies. I'm not a huge fan, but even futurama has to go before that. I wouldn't put star trek in the top 3 of any</i> list. although I don't really think it's bad (as I often bash it - lexx, btw, was stoopid). and as I mention "stupid" max-I mean tripping the rift</i> comes to mind, and that's also funnier than 3rd rock - especially for a sci-fi fan as it's basically a series of sketches that mocks every other sci-fi ever made. lastly, it's difficult to fathom that you haven't seen any</i> babylon 5 or futurama (but esp. b5).
:razz:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:41 pm

bab5 rules, as does futurama
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:18 am

dinky wrote:Lexx gets mentioned quite a lot here, actually. granted, it's usually in mockery. but...well...there you go. ;)

I mention it a lot...
/me thinks about it
oh... i see what you mean :lol:

Been meaning to buy Series 3 on DVD for a while actually.
viewtopic.php?t=42&highlight=lexx
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby MyK on Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:40 pm

dinky wrote:
it's difficult to fathom that you haven't seen any babylon 5 or futurama (but esp. b5).

And my prompt reply :lol: - Haven't seen them 'coz I was mostly stuck with movies till recently. Series demand you have more spare time and that I didn't have much 'coz I was working for "The Man" not long ago. Now I'm the boss so I have to honor my duty of not doing much at all :D Thanks for all the suggestions you made!!! They'll come handy now that the winter is finally here and (working) days are short! Oh, and I guess I should swap that a bit boring "Torchwood" listed in my fav running series for BSG, it's much better now that they're searching for Earth again :mrgreen:
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:24 pm

lastly, it's difficult to fathom that you haven't seen any babylon 5 or futurama (but esp. b5).

Its very easy to fathom, actually. Not so much futurama, but B5 never got scheduled in the uk. If you wanted to watch episodes it was on at 1am on channel 4, on a saturday morning.

'nuff said.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:46 pm

Bab5 season 1 was on channel 4 6pm monday nights for the entireity (sp?) of S1, then i'm not sure when S2 and 3 were scheduled but 4 and 5 were shown on channel 4 about 11-12 or 12-1 on a sunday morning

I especially remember the season 1 deal because me and some mates were watching it and i remember one of my mates nearly had a fit because Sinclair said "Bastard" before the 9pm watershed, and the rest of us had a good laugh at his fit.

As far as the sunday showings were concerned they may or may not have been repeats but i had never seen them before, it was the shadow war season and the one where Walter Koenig was in it and that tracey scoggins woman, and the gingerhaired bint, and i remember seeing and episode where i think B5 declared independancy or were at war with earth, or there was at least tension between them
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:31 am

I saw premiere episodes of s2+ on saturday morning at 1am, a year or so after the states showed them. That's exactly why its easy not to see them if your not a yanky ;)

It was part of the early Channel 4 line up which would later be when it used to have bits and and all those other awesome shows on (before bits was added to it).

*sigh* Channel 4 used to rock back then.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

PreviousNext

Return to General