Convert MKV

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Convert MKV

Postby Jynks on Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:44 am

Hi there I just got a nice MKV rip but I can not play it properly on my TV. I was woundeirng if you guys knew a easy way to convert it to an AVI or somthing... I thought MKV was just a container with a normal XviD video inside it but VdubMOD can not direct stream copy the data into a normal avi..

any other ideas on how to do it?
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby mxyzptlk on Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:15 pm

kill feed repeat
mxyzptlk
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:17 pm

alternatively you can upgrade your player to a modified xbox and you won't need to.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby ^Rogue^ on Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:37 am

spudthedestroyer wrote:alternatively you can upgrade your player to a modified xbox and you won't need to.

I knew that he was gonna say that. :mrgreen:
^Rogue^
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:37 am

^Rogue^ wrote:
spudthedestroyer wrote:alternatively you can upgrade your player to a modified xbox and you won't need to.

/me punches Rogue in the face
did you know i was going to say that one? :wacky:

:lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Jynks on Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:44 am

Hi. I haev a nice encode of a movie I mate made for me but I am having trouble playing it on my Xbox Media Center. It seams to play fine on my computer. Before you swithc off, I have never had any problems before with playing MKV on the Xbox.

When I load the MKV in VdubMod I get errors, and the picture dose not display. nor can I use direct stream copy to resave it as a MKV. I can not do full processing mode as it will not decomress properly (eg VdubMod has no images in the in/out window) The file dose play fine on th system though media player classic though.

The error VDubMOD gives me is:

Anyway when I run MKVextract GUI I can extarct the vidio and the audio I get a AC3 file and a "Track1.h264" file. Wicth can not be loaded in vdub.

I ran MVKveriffy ot try and find the problem and got this

Code: Select all
(mkv parser) note:
  File type: Matroska v1

(mkv parser) note:
  Seekhead contains link to another Seekhead

(mkv parser) note:
  chapter end has not been written

(mkv parser) note:

(mkv parser) note:

(mkv parser) note:

(mkv parser) note:

(mkv parser) note:

(mkv parser) note:

(mkv parser) note:

(mkv parser) note:

Can anyone help? I am not sure why Ican not load the video file into VDUBMOD.. The video decodes in media player classic just not Vdub.... why would that be? Dose anyone haev a direct link to a codec install for just "H264"?
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby Jynks on Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:50 am

alternatively you can upgrade your player to a modified xbox and you won't need to.

I do use a modded Xbox. It is a problem with teh gfile.. MKV plays fine most times but this one dosn't for some reason.
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby ^Rogue^ on Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:38 am

spudthedestroyer wrote:
^Rogue^ wrote:

/me punches Rogue in the face
did you know i was going to say that one? :wacky:

:lol:

/me ducks

Close one. :) No need for violence. :wink:

Jynks: Is this about Hellraiser? If so, I've tried it on the xBox too with not success.
^Rogue^
The Ninth Passenger

Postby Jynks on Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:16 pm

Is this about Hellraiser?

is there a fix?
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:44 pm

upgrade: hellraiser 2.0? :wacky:
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby ^Rogue^ on Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:55 pm

Jynks wrote:
Is this about Hellraiser?

is there a fix?

Nope, just wanted to make sure we had the same movie on our minds.
^Rogue^
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:27 pm

you tried to repack it? there's probably an error in the container header. XBMC probably can't find the droids its looking for. There's a mkvstrip application.

I've had to repack badly muxed avi files, for example "Where the Buffallo Roam" released by usb

Dose anyone haev a direct link to a codec install for just "H264"?

Can't ffdshow replay x264? BTW, if there's super advanced features of h264 the xbmc might drop frames, but they will play.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Jynks on Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:04 pm

narr can not find that app spud.

I think you are right that it is a container error as thevideo looks great and theaudio is fine.....
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:09 pm

have you looked at the official homepage for applications, they have loads.
http://www.matroska.org/downloads/windows.html

MKVextract also has readme files and help files which explain how to use it.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby mxyzptlk on Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:28 pm

h264 is a quicktimecodec,for some reason they start to use it more & more nowadays

normally it can be downloaded free anywhere

as spud said,you should check the readme files

I know mkvextract can do the trick,but have never used it myself.I only use mkvtoolnix to mux avi + mass audio & mass subs to mkv (for the animescene that is)

but I've asked around with some animeencoders as well & they all say the same:mkvextract should be able to remove the avi from the mkv container

kill feed repeat
mxyzptlk
The Ninth Passenger

Postby Jynks on Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:54 pm

Like i said in the post I can extract thefiles fine but for some reason even though I can play the file fine on my system I can not seams to load it inti Vdub. With the extracted video and audio.. now what?
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby mxyzptlk on Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:06 pm

yeah,for some reason,vdub doesn't seem to like h264 (gspot also doesn't like it)

so you now have an avi & an mp3?

kill feed repeat
mxyzptlk
The Ninth Passenger

Postby mxyzptlk on Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:21 pm

looked a few things up for ya,this is how it(should)work they said

1 demux video +audio with mkvextract
2 mux video+audio to avi with avimux

hope it works for ya :wink:

kill feed repeat
mxyzptlk
The Ninth Passenger

Postby ^Rogue^ on Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:02 pm

mxyzptlk wrote:looked a few things up for ya,this is how it(should)work they said

1 demux video +audio with mkvextract
2 mux video+audio to avi with avimux

hope it works for ya :wink:

3 You could even release the result
4 My gratitude would be off the scale ;)
^Rogue^
The Ninth Passenger

Postby El Mariachi on Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:06 pm

yeah, I would even buy an X-Box then.
"Spectacular stunt my friends, but all for not... turn around please, what a pity what a pity." - gay officer in Spaceballs
"It has zombies in it, how can you not give a crap?" - Spud
El Mariachi
The Ninth Passenger

Next

Return to General