French Space Agency CNES releases UFO files

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby nbgoku on Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:42 pm

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/French_Spac ... _UFO_files

CNES released its UFO files to the public through its website on Thursday. The 100,000 pages of witness testimony, photographs, film footage and audiotapes is an accumulation of over than 1,600 sightings since 1954 and will include all future UFO reports obtained by the agency.

Jacques Patenet, an aeronautical engineer who is leading the study of the "non-identified aerospatial phenomena," noted that the release of the UFO files to the publc was "a world first," and that "the data that we are releasing doesn't demonstrate the presence of extraterrestrial beings. But it doesn't demonstrate the impossibility of such presence either. The questions remain open."

Almost 25 percent of the cases have been categorized as "type D", meaning that "despite good or very good data and credible witnesses, we are confronted with something we can't explain," Jacques explained.

CNES receives around 50 to a 100 UFO reports each year. 10 percent of these reports are objects of on-site investigations.

Security was on hand at CNES headquarters during the announcement "to screen out uninvited UFOlogists."

The CNES website, www.cnes-geipan.fr, which contains the UFO files, crashed all its host servers three hours after it was brought online due to heavy traffic.

Other countries such as the United States and Great Britain do have UFO files available, but only release them through the Freedom of Information Act on a case-by-case basis.
nbgoku
Skutter

Postby MyK on Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:06 pm

Once and for all, UFO = Unknown Flying Object. Man, I don't know you but that hardly makes you an extra-terrestrial, doesn't it? Get to grips, there are loads of unexplained phenomena, be it weather, unidentified aircrafts, meteorites, freaks of nature,... none of which are of extra-terrestrial origins (OK, except for meteorites :lol:). UFOs are real? No shit! Sure they are, they're anything flying that's unidentified. If I close my eyes, pick up any object in my vicinity that I wouldn't know what it was and threw it out of the window, that would also be an UFO for me!!! Besides, some ppl will believe anything as long as they don't have to think their life is useless. Surely you have better thing to do than believe anything others are selling? Go read a book or something! :twisted:
"The products suck! There's no sex in them anymore!" (Steve Jobs)
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:53 pm

Didn't spot this one, my Wii told me this news today :lol:

Haven't spotted anything spooky, anyone else dug anything interesting out of these archives?
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Return to General