Need to boot overnet, pls help.

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Need to boot overnet, pls help.

Postby redsnake on Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:11 pm

I need to re-boot overnet, due to a crash.
Could someone provide me with a ip and port?
redsnake
Having trouble with tribbles

Postby MyK on Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:06 pm

Are you behind a firewall/router? Do you need to setup proxy? What client are you using (MLDonkey, eDonkey,...)? It's really quite impossible to help you unless you give us more information on your setup, ISP,... if you're thinking of default values, as far as I can remember, default port number is 6666 but you can change that in most clients out there and then you also need to enable both UDP and TCP ports with that number in your firewall. If you're on VPN (like behind a router) then you also need to setup forwarding on that ports to your local IP. I think you also need to do that for ports 4661, 4662, 4665 and 4672, but I'm not sure I guess it depends on what client you're using (those are for eDonkey) ;) Why would you need any other IP than your own, is beyond my knowledge :? As for your local IP... If you're on VPN then check router info page for your IP as seen by others, and if you're not or need to check what's your local IP as provided by your ISP (be it DHCP or static), go to start menu/run then type in cmd, press enter, type ipconfig /all in command prompt window, hit enter and you should get a list of all network adapters in your rig and their IP addresses. Hope this helps. I know it's a messy reply but you left me shooting in the dark :mrgreen: :P
"The products suck! There's no sex in them anymore!" (Steve Jobs)
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby redsnake on Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:17 pm

No, not at all, in order to boot overnet, it needs to connect to another overnet client, thats the way overnet connects to the network, remember that overnet is a serverless network, only relying on other peers to connect to new peers.

Therefore, what I need is from someone, running an overnet-client, such as edonkey or similar his or hers ip and udp-port. then my edonkey client can connect and get the information it needs to connect to overnet.
redsnake

Postby redsnake on Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:20 pm

Anyway, I just figured out, downloading something over the ED2K-network, it should probably find an ed2k client connected to overnet out there.

And sure it did :D

Now I'm happy again.
redsnake

Postby MyK on Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:24 pm

I see... I always thought it searches for overnet compatible clients when connecting to them via some other protocol. I guess I was wrong :? Or are you using only overnet, that would make sense to me then. Totally confused now, I'll rather sign off :lol:

EDIT: Didn't see your last post... no need for me to sign off for the day then? :lol:
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby redsnake on Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:34 pm

Pure overnet needs someone to boot from, the hybrid seems to be able to boot over the edk-network.
redsnake

Postby johnathome on Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:35 am

christ :o is overnet still going? I thought that died with edonkey and the emergence of kad :wacky:
It's life Jim, but not as we know it!
johnathome
the Angry Klingon

Postby redsnake on Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:05 am

Edonkey and overnet is Still going strong
redsnake

Postby MyK on Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:59 pm

Glad to hear that :D I used MLDonkey once only to swap it with eMule later on cuz of all the nonsense that floated around regarding some protocols it supported. eMule is good enough (just barely) but ML was way better IMO. I'll prolly switch back to using it once I find some spare time. Sadly, setting up P2P clients just ain't the top priority on my to-do list lately :(
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:51 pm

redsnake wrote:Edonkey and overnet is Still going strong

Its actually abandonware and no longer supported. People still use it, but its inspite of the software really.

Its no more strong than windows 98, some people still have that too :lol:

http://www.emule-project.net , KAD does a much better job than overnet in terms of serverless comms.

Of all the clients I've tried:

emule >>>>>>>>> mldonkey > amule > edonkey2000 > lphant > shareaza

emule clients tend to ban shareaza and similar for network abuse, and tends to drop lphant and edonkey2000 clients because of the amount of upload you get from the clients. ;)

Explains why emule is better in terms of overall speed (multiple downloads)

I used to experience higher single speeds with ed2k occasionally, but overall it was slower, the sources were much more scarce (0 sources vs 1 or 2 in emule) and the upload was dreadful :(

I'd consider trying emule, or mldonkey and amule if your not on win32.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby redsnake on Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:10 pm

To be honest I never achieved half the downloadd speed with EM as I have with ED2k.
I have no problem maxing out my DSL-DL speed (28 MBit) with ED2k.
redsnake

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:25 pm

that's probably because you are regarded as a leech until you build up your credits file (leave it running). Emule clients will be filtering you out as a leech, which is why a lot of files appear to have no sources when you jump over to ed2k.

There's absolutely no contest when you configure emule correctly (there's a lot of options, and you need a credits file on your side... no leeching allowed ;) ). KAD sweetens the deal :)

The reason why I'm not overly bothered that edonkey2000 is banned is that Emule has a hardcoded 1:3 ratio these days, whereas edonkey2000 does not enforce a ratio after setting your upload at 10kb/s. Its pretty clear why emule clients ban edonkey2000, or at least treat it with lower status ;)

btw. if your emule is "slower", you want to check if your running in Restricted mode; this is where you've downloaded beyond the ratio and its re-enforcing 1:3. Look in the bottom right of the status bar at the bottom of emule.

So, my criticisms are generally:
a) its abandonware and unsupported (and before this happened the devs were doing some very, very questionable things to the protocol)
b) its banned by emule clients for being abusive (to its own network :lol: ) so you don't see anywhere near as many completes
c) the speed is largely a placebo; the exception is that it does not enforce a ratio correctly and you can essentially leech past 10kb/s upload. So if your not uploading much, that would explain why you see edonkey2000 as faster :( If you uploaded 1:3 or better, you should be seeing a significant boost in your download speed in emule.

If i start up with a blank credit file, it takes about 1-2 weeks to build one up... obviously the longer your on emule, the better your credits, the better your speed (or rather, the better your queue boost, peer speed isn't really affected)
Last edited by spudthedestroyer on Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby redsnake on Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:34 pm

"Leave it running", well, I ran it in parallell with ED2k for a month or two, with the same downloads, and shares (wanted to compare) with a big winner.....
redsnake

Return to General