A few Rips coming soon ...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby Gem]n[ on Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:14 pm

I actually sat down and spent an afternoon on GK and gotta say ... bloody hell ... it ain't that hard to suss out (with some tuts) ... but getting it right can be a bastard ... as in Aspect Ration/error Bits (pixel*frame) etc ...

I knew about Doom9's GK tut and I had a look at SBIG forum thread too but not all of it ... but the one tut that made me happy and get into it ... cos it actually went through ALL the options ... was this puppy:

http://www.rita.lt/guides/GKnot_DVDtoAVI.htm

What really put me off GK was waiting for the results on something that could take an age to process then do a tweak then wait then do another tweak, etc, etc ... but thanks to a great (but so obvious if you actually thought about it) tip by grInd @ SoBadItsGood ... he suggested ripping just 1 Chapter out of the movie and play with that ... hence process time was reduced down to a few minutes for a 5min video chapter ... simple I know ... but it's shit like that that I like :mrgreen:

Anyhow

Using GK manual ...

TIME GUARDIAN:

I done a 2nd test rip using 1 chapter from Time Guardian and came up with this ...

Test Rip 02:
DGIndex ScreenShot

GK BitRate settings

GK Resolution Settings

Screenie

Looking at it it looks fine sounds fine but why is the Aspect Ratio 2.44 ... is that right? ... Aspect error is 0.7 what should it be? ... the final res output is 704x288 ... the audio has AC3 so I have left that in ... I actually done an MP3 version @ 192 (Test 01) and that came out with the same specs above ...

The cropping of 74 & 80 was to get rid of the black bars plus a few extra to trim the main screen of crap top and bottom (see ATTEMPT 1 above ... it's the original screenshot with the crap lines) ... the 4 for left & right was to compensate the top & bottom cropping ...

What am I doing wrong ... or is that acceptable ? ... I would use this but I want it to be right for a release ... so therefore AR/AR Error and other settings must be right ...
Gem]n[
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:58 pm

for anamorphic you need to go to options and uncheck the ITU-R box... it hardly ever applies to anamorphic. That will fix the AR.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby Gem]n[ on Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:08 pm

I tried it Unticked mate ... and no difference to Aspect Ratio ... hence the new test run below ...

Original VOB screenie (looks stretched top-bottom but ok when played on PC ... normal I suppose)

I put a white outline to show you the boundary of the image ...

The major cropping on the top & bottom was due to the thick black lines ... I used Auto Crop ... then I reduced the left & right by 2 more pixels to get rid a few more crap lines ... that took the Aspect Error down to 0.0 ... that's good yeah? ...

GK - Resolution Settings

Final Output Result (looks ok ... close to original VOB when both played on PC)

GSpot Results

Would the Aspect Ratio be high due to the major cropping of the black lines? ... also ... this would affect the W-Zoom & H-Zoom right? ... hence to 99% & 70% ...

I'm trying to understand all this ... getting there ...

I suppose it would be the same if I didn't take out the crap pixels ... but I understand that if you do that you need to compensate ...

I don't want it perfect ... just acceptable for a release ...
Gem]n[
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:21 am

usually with widescreen movies (which that one appears to be) i usually just crop off the sides to remove black lines and keep the ws style upper and lower ones.... i think, it's been so long since i've encoded i can't remember it too well.

I plan on capping some old uk comedy shows i got on dvd anyway (shelley and home to roost) soon so it will prolly all come flooding back like oxford highstreet last summer

i'm pretty sure shouldn't teh aspect ratio section read 3.111 or is it 1.113? or something involving those 2 numbers lol

ok so im nto really helping am i

but to be honest i'm very tired and slightyl drunk.... so lol
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby Gem]n[ on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:28 pm

Ok ...

DVD Specs for The Time Guardian:
Bought from Australia on eBay (hence Oz DVD)
1.33:1 (full screen) hence Anamorphic Widescreen yes?
So the black bars make it a transfer format of 4:3 (full screen)? ...

THEREFORE

Using the above rip & setup in GK I can get the exact same view as the VOB (with the black bars) by overriding the Aspect Ratio of 1.778 ... under the 'Crop' section ... therefore the Aspect Ratio under the 'Output Resolution' section is also 1.778 ... which is right ... I can see that ...

SO

When I crop the movie properly of the black bars ... plus the crap pixels (and compensated this for a proper Aspect Ratio) ... the Aspect Ratio becomes 2.44 ... so this IS (or must be) right ... right?

Yes Gem I think you're on the right track ... :mrgreen: ...

I'm surprised no-one (who rips) picked that up ... and answered ... not only that GSpot confused me more with an Apect Ratio of (22:9) in brackets and NOT 16:9 ... although is does show 2.44 out of brackets ... which conforms to GK's results ...

Sorry I'm talking to myself here ...

So I'm gonna rip it as above for releaase ... hopefully my other releases will be easier than this from now on ...
Gem]n[
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby dinky on Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:04 am

Gem]n[ wrote:
DVD Specs for The Time Guardian:
Bought from Australia on eBay (hence Oz DVD)
1.33:1 (full screen) hence Anamorphic Widescreen yes?

if it's 1.33:1 (4:3, FS) then it may be letterboxed, not anamorphic. A lot of cheaper dvds are released that way (matted/letterboxed on the disc itself). and this sure looks like a prime candidate. :wacky:

wiki wrote:DVDs with a 16:9 aspect ratio are typically labeled "anamorphic widescreen", "enhanced for 16:9", "enhanced for widescreen televisions" or similar, though currently there is no labeling standard. Otherwise, the movie will only support the standard full-frame display and will simply be "letterboxed".
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Gem]n[ on Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:13 am

Ah right ... thanks Dinky ... makes sense ... or getting there ...
Gem]n[
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:27 am

this rip better be worth it now :P lol
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby Gem]n[ on Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:35 am

Shut up ... :mrgreen:

I gotta say though that the movie itself is dirty ... as in dust and scratches ... they didn't put it through the washing machine process for DVD ... mostly on the Australian outside shots ... so I won't be adding any filters apart from the default Lanczos ...
Gem]n[
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:38 am

it's both annoying and good when dvds only come out in australia, annoying coz it means i can't buy it here and have to wait for delivery, but good that somebody in aus has actually had the braisn to release it, i had to get Split Second (Rutger Hauer scifi) and The Ambulance (Eric Roberts horror) from there because it's the only place they are available, i'd recommend both, but split second is more well known

The Ambulance also stars james earl jones, and also has a few scenes with stan lee (Roberts character works at Marvel comics and a few scenes also take place there)
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby Gem]n[ on Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

OK I ran a complete rip run of 'The Time Guardian' and the output file size came to 761.744 in Explorer (743mb in properties) ... is that a bit high? ... what's the exact size it should be when looking in Explorer? and not under file properties ... or whatever you're supposed to look at to get the right filesize of an AFR rip? ... i.e. what's the tolerance value for an AFR rip? ...

I set GK to 744mb ... the rip is good and I am pleaed with it ... and looks fine being as they didn't clean it up for DVD ... but I need to suss out if the size is right ...

I must say though GK is sweet once you get to grips with it ... and this is my first rip using GK ...all my others have been with AutoGK as you lot know ...
Last edited by Gem]n[ on Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gem]n[
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:44 am

ive seen AFR at around that size yeah, i think thats the "1cd" equivalent of an afr, , i think somewhere around 1.45 gig is the equivalent of a 2cd
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby Gem]n[ on Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:53 am

Yeah cheers Max was just wondering as AutoGK got it pretty good and GK seems a bit more fussy ... that's why I was asking ... also most of my previous rips have been 2CD 1.46Gb AFR's so there's a bit more tolerance there ... but the 1CD AFR's are tighter on size ... under GK at least ...
Last edited by Gem]n[ on Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gem]n[
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:03 am

no worries gem
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby Gem]n[ on Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:17 am

Anyhow if anyone wants to view a 20mb sample (2mins) of the rip you can view it here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/94118496/tg_sample.avi.html

It shows the sh!t (dust & scratches) floating around in the video transfer ... so you get the idea ... it's in the source and NOT my conversion :mrgreen:

SCREENIES

GK SETTINGS - SPECS:

FINAL SETTINGS:
After auto cropping & smart cropping I then cropped crap pixels on Top, Bottom, Left & Right to clean the edges up ... there was some bad sh!t floating around there ...

If everything is ok I'll release it ... if not someone shout out and say what's wrong and I'll fix it ...
Last edited by Gem]n[ on Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gem]n[
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:20 am

i'll grab it
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby Gem]n[ on Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:28 am

Here's a comparison between the original VOB and the final rip:

ORIGINAL VOB (before cropping & resizing)

FINAL RIP

Captured in BS Player ... colours seem better on Final Rip !!! ... I didn't use any filtering except the default Lanczos ...

XviD Config:

Advanced simple @ L5 on both passes ... Quantization was: 1, 31, 1, 31, 1, 31 (default) on both passes ... that's it really ... could be better but as this has sh!t (dust & scratches) floating around in the DVD video it's not really worth it ... it would defeat the object IMHO ...
Last edited by Gem]n[ on Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gem]n[
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:33 am

i cant download that file, i accidently clicked open and i meant to click save, and now i cant download it lol oops
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby Gem]n[ on Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:39 am

what you have to wait a certain amount of time to try again cos of size limit? ... :D if you wait a while or tomorrow you will have a chance to grab it again ...
Gem]n[
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:48 am

yeah i figured it would probably reset
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

PreviousNext

Return to General