Anti-Bush film tops Cannes awards

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Anti-Bush film tops Cannes awards

Postby Blade Runner on Sun May 23, 2004 11:01 am

Director Michael Moore's controversial anti-Bush documentary Fahrenheit 9/11 has won the prestigious Palme d'Or best film award at the Cannes festival.
It was the first documentary to win the top prize since Jacques Cousteau's The Silent World in 1956.

The film received a 15-minute standing ovation when it was screened on Monday.

Fahrenheit 9/11 explores the Iraq war and alleges connections between President George W Bush and top Saudi families, including the Bin Ladens.

The documentary uses Moore's customary satirical style to accuse Mr Bush of stealing the presidential election in 2000, ignoring terrorism warnings before 11 September 2001 and fuelling fears of more attacks to secure Americans' support for the war in Iraq.

'Overwhelmed'

"What have you done? I'm completely overwhelmed by this," Moore said in his acceptance speech.

"I want to make sure if I do nothing else for the rest of this year that those who died in Iraq have not died in vain."

Thanking the jury headed by cult director Quentin Tarantino, he added: "You will ensure that the American people will see this movie...You have put a huge light on this."

Among other awards at Cannes:

The film Old Boy, by South Korean director Park Chan-wook, won the Grand Prize

Jury Prizes went to Thai director Apichatpong Weerasethakul's film Tropical Malady and to actress Irma P. Hall for her part in The Ladykillers

French film-maker Tony Galif won the director's award for his film Exiles

Yagira Yuuya, a 14-year-old Japanese boy, was named best actor for his role in the film Nobody Knows

The best actress award went to Maggie Cheung from Hong Kong for her performance in the film Clean

Keren Yedaya's Or won the Golden Camera award for best film by a first-time director.

Positive

Michael Moore's film was originally set to be released in the US through Disney subsidiary Miramax, before Disney blocked it. It is now expected to be released through a third party.

The critical reaction to the film has generally been positive, with praise coming from The Washington Post, Time Magazine and British newspapers including the Independent and the Telegraph.

However, others have been more critical of the film. The Hollywood Reporter said Moore was "pioneering a reality film as an election device."

And trade paper Variety described it as "rather less incendiary than expected" and said it was "a blatant cinematic 2004 campaign pamphlet".

Fahrenheit 9/11 was competing against 18 other films for the Palme d'Or.

:matrix:
Blade Runner
Modding the Machine

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon May 24, 2004 12:13 am

heres the news for the end of the month "michael moore found dead in suspicious road accident"

sources close to president bush, who wish to be known only as "shaggy" had this to say "It wasnt me"

not that im in anyway implying that a magnificent merciful president of the united states would stoop to anything so lowdown devious and underhanded as this to ensure his reich will be around to see the dawn of the master race of the fatherland.... oh hang on is that bush or hitler? i have a difficult time telling the 2 apart :lol: :lol: :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby mw2merc on Mon May 24, 2004 8:57 am

I can't stand that guy. Image What an ass. Image
"I put the KILL, in SKILL!!!"
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon May 24, 2004 12:27 pm

which one? bush, michael moore or shaggy? lol or all 3

michael moore is ok so far that he has openly stood up for p2p downloading of movies
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby mw2merc on Tue May 25, 2004 12:03 am

maxpayne2409 wrote:which one? bush, michael moore or shaggy? lol or all 3

Both MM & GB.

maxpayne2409 wrote:michael moore is ok so far that he has openly stood up for p2p downloading of movies

Yeah, just cause he's trying to appeal to people who use P2P doesn't mean he's an OK person. :? And MM is wrong. "I want to make sure if I do nothing else for the rest of this year that those who died in Iraq have not died in vain." They did die in vain as they shouldn't have even been there.

:matrix: GB is doing all kinds of crap to appeal to Mexicans because of all their increase in population. Legal & illegal. He can go where the f'ng sun don't shine. All these damned Oil Tycoon jerks can too. They don't care what LEGAL residents/others want & GB's afraid to stand up to making sure LEGAL residents get treated better than ILLEGALS. Let alone GB's BS with sending our soldiers to the middle east, again, just to protect oil interests, rathar than our nations. I'm not yet convinced he's behind the 9/11 attacks, but he's by far, no saint.

I could say more, but all this is making me sick. As soon as I can, I'm gonna leave this country in it's downward spiral. At some point it's gonna hit ground zero, & I don't intend on being here.
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue May 25, 2004 12:09 am

yeah dont blame u, i wouldnt like to live in america either, i mean englands bad but america is 100000 times worse
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby mw2merc on Tue May 25, 2004 12:12 am

Yeah, well I wouldn't move to England. Even though it is the Motherland. :wacky:
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue May 25, 2004 12:14 am

lol belgium is supposed to be pretty laid back...about everything lol
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby mw2merc on Tue May 25, 2004 12:26 am

Actually, my choices are Australia (loved my trip there in '94), Estonia (where my good buddy just moved to), and a couple others. Not to mention my own country if I win the lottery. :lol:
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue May 25, 2004 12:46 am

yeah austrailia would be nice
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby Blade Runner on Tue May 25, 2004 12:53 am

I'm kinda lucky ATM I have one woman who wants to take me to Auz and another who wants to take me to Thailand :o
Blade Runner
Modding the Machine

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue May 25, 2004 1:00 am

lol u live in the uk by any chance bladerunner?
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby Blade Runner on Tue May 25, 2004 1:07 am

Indeed I do, Costa Del Nottingham :matrix:
Blade Runner
Modding the Machine

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue May 25, 2004 1:28 am

ah closeish to where i live lol, ive got a few friends in nottingham but i bet you wont know them :wacky: , im from scunthorpe or sconethorpe as one of my friends calls it lol
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby John_Doe on Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:47 pm

mw2merc wrote:They did die in vain as they shouldn't have even been there.

not even the ones that lived there? :cry:
Ahh.. no offence, but you are a robot, aren't you?
John_Doe
The Ninth Passenger

Postby mw2merc on Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:40 pm

John_Doe wrote:not even the ones that lived there? :cry:

They all did, US troops & the locals.
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Return to General