The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Re: The last movie you saw...

Postby dinky on Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:03 am

The Tourist (2010)
angelina seemed particularly plastic and unattractive. showing her age, I suppose. between bettany, jolie, depp, sewel, and even dalton...there's a lot of wasted talent and/or uninspired acting in this watered down spy game. odd musical soundtrack choices as well. it's as if the music is selling a cookie cutter romance, and the plot/action is selling a cookie cutter spy game. watchable but no reason to watch it.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby mw2merc on Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:43 am

Elf, a holiday staple.

dink, why are you talking TV in a movie thread?

I'm gonna be real pissed if on Friday, there's no TRON, in TRON! :spank:
"I put the KILL, in SKILL!!!"
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby dinky on Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:26 pm

it's more of a "what you've watched recently" thread these days. wb, btw.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby mw2merc on Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:05 pm

dinky wrote:it's more of a "what you've watched recently" thread these days. wb, btw.

OK, in that case:

TV:
Ancient Aliens, Blue Bloods, Chase, Chuck, The Defenders, Dexter, Eureka, The Event, Fringe, Futurama, The Good Guys, Hawaii Five-O, Lost Girl, Mad, Misfits, No Ordinary Family, Sanctuary, $#!+ My Dad Says, Sons of Anarchy, Stargate Universe, Supernatural, Sym-Biotic Titan, Transformers Prime, The Walking Dead, W Wallace and Gromit's World of Invention, & Warehouse 13

Documentaries:
End of Liberty
Explorer - Vampire Forensics (NatGeo)
First Alien Encounter (DiscSci)
Inside Cocaine Submarines (NatGeo)
Inside the Milky Way (NatGeo)
Oceans (DisneyNature)
Quest for Solomon's Mines (Nova)
The Secret KGB UFO Files - Hosted by Roger Moore
Secret Iraq
Storm Worlds pt1-3 (NatGeo)
Tyson
UFO Files - Beyond the War of the Worlds (HistChan)

Movies:
Batman - Under the Red Hood
Easy A
Going the Distance
Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows
Justice League - Crisis on Two Earths
The Lookout
Monsters
Superman/Batman - Apocalypse
The Social Network

& more of course. :mrgreen:
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby Jynks on Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:25 pm

crisis on 2 earths is awesome... batman is king no matter what reality
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:16 am

what's TRANSFORMERS PRIME?
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:52 pm

modern kids cartoon.. computer animated... and crap
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:03 pm

as long as it's cgi rather than that horrible samurai jack knockoff, I think I'll give it a go. I suppose it's asking too much for it to be done by the canadian company that did BEAST WARS. I really liked that series. transformations made little sense and progressed into no sense at all, but the series was witty and even played to a lot of epic/heroic themes that you don't normally see in animation outside of anime.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:36 pm

been too ill to watch anything, also ruined my 7 year run of no sick days off work
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby mw2merc on Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:50 pm

maxpayne2409 wrote:been too ill to watch anything, also ruined my 7 year run of no sick days off work

You haven't worked for 7 years??? Noice!!! :D
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:32 am

mw2merc wrote:
maxpayne2409 wrote:been too ill to watch anything, also ruined my 7 year run of no sick days off work

You haven't worked for 7 years??? Noice!!! :D

uh........ huh
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:28 am

Tron Legacy 3D 2010
I'm not sure if fan boys would love or hate this. I wasn't much of a fan, but I did kinda like the neon lights and motor bikes when I played the video game at chuck e. cheese's. the movie is complete and total meh. I could see liking it if a) your perception of the world is indelibly deluded by romantic nostalgia or b) like any random shit. I could see banging on this movie for making no sense, jumping around like crazy, and literally skipping every idea that it puts in motion. none of that really matters, though, because it's TRON. there's a buncha neon shite. the 3d is non-existent (except for the cost of the ticket :evil: ). it's a loopy 80s plot with 80s-styled ideas about computers and "cool" and video games. it doesn't work for me, but I could see it working for someone who wants to feed the nostalgia machine. they did a decent job on jeff bridges to make him look 20-odd years younger & older.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:14 pm

dinky wrote:Tron Legacy 3D 2010
I'm not sure if fan boys would love or hate this. I wasn't much of a fan, but I did kinda like the neon lights and motor bikes when I played the video game at chuck e. cheese's. the movie is complete and total meh. I could see liking it if a) your perception of the world is indelibly deluded by romantic nostalgia or b) like any random shit. I could see banging on this movie for making no sense, jumping around like crazy, and literally skipping every idea that it puts in motion. none of that really matters, though, because it's TRON. there's a buncha neon shite. the 3d is non-existent (except for the cost of the ticket :evil: ). it's a loopy 80s plot with 80s-styled ideas about computers and "cool" and video games. it doesn't work for me, but I could see it working for someone who wants to feed the nostalgia machine. they did a decent job on jeff bridges to make him look 20-odd years younger & older.

i can't help thinking you mean me :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:34 pm

I didn't have you in mind. although reading it now, it does sorta seem like I'm pointing toward you. :lol:

But no. my idea of you is someone who does the B- (and C- and D-) movie thing, likes just about everything from his childhood, and has very consistent tastes. I was trying to put my finger on the sort of person who would be extremely inconsistent in taste - so random, in fact, that a shit movie could be considered shit, or, if it's connected to his/her childhood nostalgia, the same shit movie could be "the most totally awesomest movie every made!" - or a complete disaster because something isn't exactly the way it was in the childhood original.
:catfight:

anyway, I want to get to the mall today/tonight to watch TRUE GRIT. I've watched a lot of movies this season, and other than the animated fare, it's been a lackluster november-december. I'll also haven't seen NARNIA. was never really wild about the franchise. but...it may surprise me. TRUE GRIT is the only thing I have high hopes for though. oh...and COWBOYS AND ALIENS looks..."entertaining" if nothing else. whenever that comes out. :lol:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:06 pm

maxpayne2409 wrote:
Jynks wrote:Spud is just stubborn,... he was probably one of those guys saying that he was nvr going to get a VHS player cause it was a inferior format...

:lol: this

One of the first people to move to DVD I know, but then that was an innovation. maybe that's it.

I watched the original Tron for the first time. Terrible film. Another case of being made in the 80s and loved by idiots. Crap film, I imagine the sequel will be better unless they've fallen further into the realm of incompetence.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby dinky on Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:19 pm

True Grit (2010)
it was ok. I didn't laugh or cry or do much of anything in between. so it was disappointing, being that it was my most anticipated recent movie. I would have preferred some sort of emotional investment in the theater. this felt like a cross between DEADWOOD (speaking over their heads) and NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN (tragic world view?). the comparison is one of style rather than execution. I found DEADWOOD much funnier and NO COUNTRY more awe-inspiring.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:59 pm

I thought true grit was supposed to be "The Dude in ye old times"?
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:34 pm

:wacky:
there is some of the shtick in the beginning.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby dinky on Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:42 pm

The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawntreader (2010)
Like all the NARNIA movies, this one promises epic fantasy but delivers lazy writing/logic and unabashedly overt christian propaganda. I suppose I have only myself to blame for the latter because it's not as if I didn't already see the first film. the bit(s) with the dragon are cool. the rest of the movie is worthless. it skips around way too much. not sure if it's because of the shit source material or shit writing or shit editing. but there's definitely some fecal matter involved there. this is glossed-up trash. I would rather have watched one of the christmas chick-flicks.
:roll:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:17 pm

Those films can be summed up by the disney style pop music they dub over the end of the last film; completely out of place and all about lazy/easy money.

I heard they aren't going to bother making all the books because of the poor performance of the previous attempts, and the previous attempts are poor because they couldn't be bothered making decent films.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

PreviousNext

Return to General