The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby dinky on Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:46 am

umm...there's a richard burton version with cleopatra - they were an item then, I believe. but it didn't do anything for me. I was referring to the extant edition of the modernized text. it's a decent play, as layered and problematic as any comedy (give or take a little), but I was really going for the original versus something piggy-backing-off-the-success-of-the-original kinda idea. it also seems like comparing this year's latest fad to the tried-and-true champion. iunno. like I said, definitely liked Futurama, but Simpsons hits on more levels and has done so far longer. don't even see it as a comparison.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Blade Runner on Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:40 am

Saw Spartan Yesterday and thought it was abismal, the storyline was all over the place with no structure and Val kilmer's acting was terrible or he was just badly miscast.
Blade Runner
Modding the Machine

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:09 pm

Val kilmer's acting was terrible or he was just badly miscast

hes been miscast in pretty much everything since he got too old for 80s teen flicks, with 1 exception "Hard Cash" where he co-stars with the excellent christian slater even tho hard cash reminded me so much of the great slater film "Hard Rain", which incidently is about the only film i can stand watching with morgan freeman in that doesnt make me want to dial the KKK just because he's such a bad actor

getting back to the originalness of the topic the last film i watched was

Land of the Apes, which is basically 2 episodes of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's - The Lost World featuring the apemen stuck together planet of the apes tv movie style, im refering to the australian version of lost world thats on scifi in the uk and has that lass who played pam & doug willis' daughter Gabby in neighbours years ago and was the gang leader in jackie chan flick "first strike" (i think tis that one anyway)

but here's the main reason to watch it, hot amazon woman

Last edited by maxpayne2409 on Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:15 pm

dinky wrote:umm...there's a richard burton version with cleopatra - they were an item then, I believe. but it didn't do anything for me. I was referring to the extant edition of the modernized text. it's a decent play, as layered and problematic as any comedy (give or take a little), but I was really going for the original versus something piggy-backing-off-the-success-of-the-original kinda idea. it also seems like comparing this year's latest fad to the tried-and-true champion. iunno. like I said, definitely liked Futurama, but Simpsons hits on more levels and has done so far longer. don't even see it as a comparison.

S1, 2, 11+ have been shocking in the simpsons. The first series or so were really ropey and not funny, but it was just being established. But from 10 or so onwards, its plumitted down hill... much poorer writing and animation imo, and compared to futurama it doesn't hold a candle. However, the inbetween space are top notch for the simpsons, it certainly is a show that's had its day, and what a day!

In contrast, futurama has had 4 extremely strong series, which stays pretty much on the same level (the weakest that springs to mind is the pilot, but I can't think of many pilots to date that do their shows justice).

It's unfair to compare since simpsons has 13 (14?) series ahead, but over that time its had a fair few stinkers being kind. If we are talking consistancy, I'd go for futurama. If we are talking funniest, once again futurama isn't as daft as simpsons jokes are as of late, and even compared to the 'good old days', futurama delivers more.

Simpsons of course, has more memorable episodes, but then again, it has more episodes.

On the character front, I think futurama holds its own, and can fall back on many of the characters. Simpsons is a core 2 cannon afair most of the time (of course futurama is a lot of the time too, Fry and Bender), with Lisa in particular being a weak link for me... of course, then there's all the extras that are hilarious (most voiced by the apu and the spinal tap guys :) ).

Homer overall is a better character, infact the best over the two series, but Fry and Bender are very close :) Dumb dumb has been replaced with retard dumb and alcoholic, a funny double act. Professor Farnsworth rocks :lol:

So although they are both great, I'd have to side with Futurama (if push came to shove) being the better of the two, particularly when you compare the early days (granted, futurama was easy to set up) or the new 3 or 4 series to it. Even on the simpsons best day, futurama isn't far behind :) Fund another 10 series of Futurama and we can have a definitive look at which is the better :)
Last edited by spudthedestroyer on Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:17 pm

theres 5 futurama sasons and 15 simpsons, my fave futurama character is dr zoidberg tho hes jsut hilarious WOOP WOOP WOOP
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby Blade Runner on Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:24 pm

She's the reason I watch it, :mrgreen: I'm not keen on Blondes
Blade Runner
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:10 pm

I'm really confused:
72. 5-16 4ACV18 10-Aug-2003 The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings

Appears in my DVD box set, S4D4, yet it was the series finalé :lol:

f*cking fox scheduling :matrix:

Yes your quite right, 5 pseudo-series :)
http://www.tvtome.com/Futurama/eplist.html
A lot of S4 was trimmed by the looks of it, and put into S5 when aired.

However, looking at the actual episodes in each series, they equal under 4 full 22 episode seasons you normally get with Fox shows, which is quite strange.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby bobbystills on Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:22 pm

Blade Runner wrote:Saw Spartan Yesterday and thought it was abismal, the storyline was all over the place with no structure and Val kilmer's acting was terrible or he was just badly miscast.

i think its mamet. he cant direct film imo and he either cant understand language or is just madly convinced that peeps talk like he writes dialouge :evil: :evil: i cant stand his dramas on film at this point. i thougt kilmer in this one and hackman in the last at least tried to personalize the dialogue, but all the other players really failed.
i wish mamet would stick to live theatre or comedies like the one w/ hoffman, hes kinda good @ directing in that style.
bobbystills
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby barry on Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:42 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:Homer overall is a better character, infact the best over the two series, but Fry and Bender are very close :) Dumb dumb has been replaced with retard dumb and alcoholic, a funny double act. Professor Farnsworth rocks :lol:

You overlook Dr. Zoidberg :-o Heresy, I say heresy. Futurama was just better put together than the Simpsons was. Better in-jokes and subtle references, use of computer animation etc. But then they did have ~15 years of experience before hand from the Simpsons before they started.

On a brighter note the last two episodes of season 15 of the Simpsons do some very nasty political commentary and are worth going out of your way for.
barry
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:08 am

well im back all nice n formatted, i remember when futurama was cancelled by the wankers at fox that futurama had ben sold to cartoon network and was proving to be cartoon networks saviour, god knows they needed some new cartoons to show i mean how many times can one watch endless repeats fo Top Cat or The Hair Bear Bunch or dare i say it... The Funky (Fucking gay more like) Phantom???, anyway the rumours were cartoon network were going to fund groening to make more futurama but it seems to have remained a rumour as far as i know but in an interview i read with matt groening he said he will make more futurama.

Also good news is family guy is coming back witha whopper of a season 4 :D :D :D
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby mw2merc on Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:53 am

With requards to Futurama Vs The Simpsons, Futurama wins here easy. I like Fry & Bender and my roomie like Zoidberg. Yes, the Professor is a hoot too.

FYI Spud, the DVD releases are not the same as the original aired seasons. The aired seasons had 9, 20, 15, 12, & 16 episodes. DVD seasons are 13, 19, 22, & 18. Obviously not the same. And yes, 'tDHaIP' is the LAST ep.
"I put the KILL, in SKILL!!!"
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby mw2merc on Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:54 am

Just finished watching a Godzilla double header w/ Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters ALL-Out Attack (2003) and then Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla (2004).

I don't really like G being the bad guy in the new ones, but my roomie does. I do like the more lizard look rather than the old 'dog head' look. The other moster in GMA-OA were basically just like the old ones, but MG in GAM is actually pretty dang cool. I didn't care for how quick it was.

*spoiler start*
It uses the 1954 Godzilla skeleton, has a jet pack that shoots missles, and wrist lasers w/ a telescoping blade that also shocks.
*spoiler end*
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:56 pm

FYI Spud, the DVD releases are not the same as the original aired seasons. The aired seasons had 9, 20, 15, 12, & 16 episodes. DVD seasons are 13, 19, 22, & 18. Obviously not the same. And yes, 'tDHaIP' is the LAST ep.

But like the simpsons, if you look at the episode numbers, you can see that the DVDs are actually more 'correct'. They are in the order they were made, its like with the simpsons too. At a guess its to do with Fox f*cking up the scheduling on a near constant basis, everyone knows the trouble they went through with fox constantly cancelling and moving it to different time slots.

However, Simpsons DVD box sets are the same, they are in the 'created' order, not the aired order. if you look at the aired list of series two, the first 4 have series one creation numbers. At a guess, the dvds list the order they should have been shown in... I know some simpsons episodes were held back for several series :o
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby mw2merc on Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:10 am

For the most part, it doesn't really matter as most the eps are completely independant. It only matters when another episode refers to a previous one, uses a character from, or the like.

Next up on my movie list to watch tonight/tommorow, is 'Big Fish' & 'Bubba Ho-Tep'.
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:12 am

True, but sometimes radical animation/voice changes mid season ;)

great choices, both decent films in their own rights.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby bobbystills on Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:46 am

spudthedestroyer wrote:I duno this one might:

:wink:

http://www.vcdreview.com/info.php/i-29328.html

i think i found a runner up :D

this shots less monocromatic
bobbystills
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby mw2merc on Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:11 am

I'd have to go w/ the VH shot myself.
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby Purple.Nightmare on Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:49 am

hmm watched the Butterfly Effect DC last night and still not decided whether i like wot they done with it or not.
i quite enjoyed the theatrical cut.
the mate who watched it with me made me show him the theatrical ending straight after tho (he hadnt seen it b4) and HE preffered that.
In Space No One Can Hear You Scream
Purple.Nightmare
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby Bassline on Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:34 pm

i've still to watch the DC cut of butterfly effect but enjoyed the theatrical cut :D

finally got round to watching Underworld yesterday,i quite enjoyed the way it was shot but i feel they ripped off a lot of things from other movies such as Matrix/T2/Blade etc etc. while trying to shoot it like this but they didn't quite pull it off aswell as these others had....all in all an average movie that could have been a lot better :wacky:
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Bassline
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:35 pm

"Yesterday":
Butterfly Effect (great film, didn't like the ending)
Naked lunch (wtf :lol: Liked this one!)
Trekkies (I must have seen this before, it rings a bell... trekkies/trekkers are f*cked up people :o )

"Today"
Resident Evil (it is a hunter; comes out as a licker, eats mutates into a hunter :lol: I knew there were was a hunter in it somewhere. No tyrants or anything cool. Shame, in the hands of a better director it could have been good. Wes Anderson's problem is he has to keep total control over the project, and he can't write... at all. In the hands of a better director there'd have been a better script or the script writing would be handed over to someone who could write!)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

PreviousNext

Return to General