The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Re: The last movie you saw...

Postby anarchoid on Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:14 pm

i upped a sample too ;)
"- morning starbuck, whatdya hear?
- nothin' but the rain.
- Grab your gun and bring the cat in."
anarchoid
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby anarchoid on Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:18 am

i played over the dead space2 then, i watch the Dead Space : Aftermath
Attachments
shot0002.png
shot0002.png (185.18 KiB) Viewed 13848 times
- nothin' but the rain.
anarchoid
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:43 am

i have that to watch, might watch it tomorrow night

Just watched Mars Attacks, and now i remember why i haven't seen it since the days of vhs, because it's complete and utter shit
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby anarchoid on Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:29 pm

i saw yesterday :

good old classic from my childhood ;)

Uchu kara no messeji but i dont remember - it is a japanise movie ;)
- nothin' but the rain.
anarchoid
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby dinky on Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:08 pm

The Mechanic (2011)
typical jason statham action flick (ala transporter but a little deeper). ben foster does a nice job here as well (you may remember a somewhat similar role in 3:10 to YUMA). the action is decent. the plot is not terribly outlandish. the human interactions are...if not believable, fitting for the genre. it does kinda seem like the movie is trying to be more philosophical than it is, and it fails on that count. but it's a decent movie to sit through from an action perspective. nothing special.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:22 pm

I used to work with Ben Foster..... not the same one though :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:40 pm

I AM NUMBER FOUR was decent. it's similar to PUSH but better overall. not that such a thing makes it a must watch.

DRIVE ANGRY. solid in a B-movie sort of way. if you can get over nic cage as the lead, I think this is right up your alley, max. oh, and the female lead is uber hot.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:49 pm

It's not so much Nic Cage as the lead that makes films bad (face/off, the rock, con air all good films) it's more his obvious hair..... wig? implants? well he's had work done and it's not subtle lol
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby anarchoid on Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:43 am

trying Outcasts

but this is boring ;(

lil off , yesterday found this pic ;)

- nothin' but the rain.
anarchoid
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby dinky on Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:11 pm

Hop - silly. mildly entertaining. not as good as it could be. skip it.

Source Code - entertaining. doesn't make much sense, but the ride is fun.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:03 am

Legend of The Guardians: Owls of Ga'Hoole - have to say i did quite enjoy it, after having played (and platinumed) the game i figured i should give the film a chance and i enjoyed it, the game wasn't so much a tie-in as a sequel

Megamind - i went into this expecting it to be shit like the incredibles, but again i quite enjoyed it, it was kind of different (for a kids film) to the standard hero beats villian idea by having the villian accidently create a super villian and becoming the hero to stop him
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby anarchoid on Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:10 pm

not too new one

- nothin' but the rain.
anarchoid
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:06 pm

Watched The Princess Bride last night, first time i've ever seen it, Cary Elwes played his character well, and mandy patankin (sp?)
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby anarchoid on Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:56 am

What women want remake (orig is a Mel Gibson Romantic/comedy) my fav chinise/hk aktor is Andy Lao but this movie is a crap ;)
- nothin' but the rain.
anarchoid
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby dinky on Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:01 am

Thor (2011)
Good. Not great. plot was good. the guy who played thor was fine (imo - apparently getting a lot of poor feedback). I wasn't wild about his armor. despite my general agreement with the way the movie navigated the mythology of THOR and the plot/conflict of the movie, I found myself rather unmoved. I wasn't bored. I didn't dislike anything. I just...what can I say? I wasn't very drawn to anything either. it's a decent, even a good movie, nothing more. I loathe to give grades, but I think this kinda merits it to convey my feelings: B/B-.

Kung Fu Panda 2 (2011)
Liked this one a lot. the plot/conflict was good. I enjoyed it a lot. it's a sequel, for sure. but as far as sequels go, this one hit the mark. giving grades for everything in this post for comparison's sake: A-/B+.

Hangover 2 (2011)
I'm assuming most people who frequent this post don't much go for american comedy, and if you've seen the first one, then let me just say this one isn't much different. I laughed...a lot. It was also raunchier than the first one. Not that the first one is on my list (although WEDDING CRASHERS is, and they're of the same ilk), but I think both the original and sequel do their jobs admirably: B/B+.

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011)
It's not up to snuff with the first PotC. PotC 2 was pretty dreadful. I enjoyed PotC 3, except it was too long and meandering. PotC 4 goes a long way in fixing said issues. It's an enjoyable movie, but it doesn't come close to the whimsical, swashbuckling adventure/comedy of the first one. worth watching? yes. must see? not by a long shot. B-/B.

X-Men: First Class (2011)
This will easily be the best superhero/comicbook adaptation of the summer. easily. I don't like to make these kind of declarative statements, but if you watch the movie and disagree, then I have to wonder what color the sky is in your world. It's an origin story ala BATMAN BEGINS, and it's pretty close to BB in terms of quality and effectiveness. To be honest, CAPTAIN AMERICA and GREEN LANTERN look terrible, so I don't think I'm taking much of a gamble with my prediction. Back to X-MEN: there were some winks and "in jokes" about the future (especially xavier's hair), but that stuff doesn't impede upon the narrative, which remains focused despite the numerous "origins" it's working with. Let me put it like this: prequels are particularly difficult to pull off. everyone knows how they're going to end. I enjoyed watching this movie and wasn't the least bit disinterested because I knew where it was going. I think a large part of this is, unlike the vader origin story, the actual conflict of this film is compelling in its own right. but who knows? A/A-.

Other stuff I've watched recently:

SOMETHING BORROWED (2011): C+/B-

BRIDESMADS (2011): B+/A-

FAST FIVE (2011): entertaining. fine for the genre: solid B.

GAME OF THRONES (HBO series 2011)
I wish they didn't move so fast from ep to ep. I understand why they would. It would be otherwise impossible to fund such an ambitious series. it tells the story well. I just miss some of the minutiae that was obviously omitted for time concerns. A-

CAMELOT (Starz series 2011)
Good, possibly very good. I prefer GAME OF THRONES of the two, but perhaps it's an unfair comparison. this one has more boobies, which is a plus. good series. B+
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:04 am

Dinky, i heard hangover 2 is basically a cruder remake of the first? how accurate is that statement?

anyway watched Hall Pass the other day, i don't usually like owen wilson movies much, but i quite enjoyed it (Might be to do with Christina Applegate), it had quite a few laughs, and passes the time pleasantly enough as did....

Couples Retreat, Vince Vaughn played to his strengths, ie: being a cocky so and so, and again was decent enough, despite the glaring advert to try and flog a few last guitar heros to clear stock.

Got "I Am Number Four" to watch tomorrow, it sounds pretty decent, havent really heard much about it but i hope its as good as it sounds
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:08 am

I liked I AM NUMBER FOUR. nothing special, mind you. but I thought it moved along well and was entertaining.

Did you read my review? luls yeah, HANGOVER 2 is more or less the same as HANGOVER but more crude.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:28 pm

maxpayne2409 wrote:Legend of The Guardians: Owls of Ga'Hoole - have to say i did quite enjoy it, after having played (and platinumed) the game i figured i should give the film a chance and i enjoyed it, the game wasn't so much a tie-in as a sequel

Megamind - i went into this expecting it to be shit like the incredibles, but again i quite enjoyed it, it was kind of different (for a kids film) to the standard hero beats villian idea by having the villian accidently create a super villian and becoming the hero to stop him

@legend, could you tell the difference between the owls? I have to say it wasn't bad, but it had very poor characterisation and the voice acting was mediocre
@megamind, enjoyed that one!
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:56 pm

no it was quite difficult to tell the difference between the owls most of the time
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:13 pm

hoo are you talking about? :wacky:

Super 8 (2011)
Very good. liked it a lot. it's a throwback done with care and effectively. definitely worth seeing.

G. I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (year?)
Ok. this one surprised the shit out of me. I refused to watch it based on the "supersuits" in the preview alone. but honestly...this was a decent movie adaptation. there's some seriously ludicrous shit in here (including, but not limited to, an undersea battle fought at the speed of a Top Gun dogfight). most of it, though, is pretty much the kind of stuff I remember from the 80s cartoon. the leaps in logic, the gadgetry, and I think they did an admirable job of adapting the main villains from the show to a live action movie (cobra commander, destro, baroness, and even mind-bender). I did not like ripcorde, mostly because marlon waynes overacts everything terribly and just grates on my brain like...wil smith on max's. I also thought a lot of the character designs were stupid. for instance, the nanonite technology is fine. that's something you'd expect in a Joe episode. the helmet and mask they produce for cobra commander and destro are just...silly. they're retardly too large and, frankly, the mirrored (commander) and polished (destro) looks from the cartoon were 100x better. ditto for the nano'd up "supertroopers" that were mindcontrolled (i.e., the B. A. T.'s from the cartoon). If not for the terrible "supersuits" in the previews and the shitty character designs (on the toys), I would have watched this long ago.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

PreviousNext

Return to General