Which is more important? Storyline or actors?

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Which is more important? Storyline or actors?

Postby mw2merc on Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:29 am

Anyone else sick of stories, TV shows mostly, that compromise storyline because of actors?

First that comes to mind is X-Files. As soon as Duchovny wanted more $ & was not in the show as much, that was the beginning of the end of the series.

The series I think was hurt the least was Stargate SG-1 when Michael Shanks playing Dr. Daniel Jackson getting killed off/ascending in Season 5 to just get replaced by Corin Nemec playing Jonas Quinn for Season 5-7. MS returns as DJ for Season 6 & JQ just ends up getting killed. I think it would've been better to keep the JQ character.

Only thing I can think of where the actor changed and the story didn't, was the James Bond movies. There may be others, but non I know of.
"I put the KILL, in SKILL!!!"
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:33 am

to me storyline is most important but of course there is no point having a good storyline if the actors who are playing it out suck like a slut on a busy weekend, so i suppose a bit of each

i remember i used to watch sg1 but stopped then i caught some more eps and daniel had jsut disappeared and i had no idea why, although teh episodes imo sucked so i didnt much care

another seires which unfortunately suffered from similar things is red dwarf, once they got rid of rimmer early-mid series 7 it went downhill, and then in series 8 when they brought back the ENTIRE ship and crew of red dwarf it just went uber shit and wasnt really that funny anymore either

a show that did well from replacing characters of course was doctor who, having the doctor regenerate into a different face was a stroke of pure genius

series that actually gained something from ditching a cast member of course was the a-team when they got rid of Amy Amanda Allen "Triple A" after season 2 coz she was absolutely terrible, of course also knightrider wasnt quite as good during season 2 when Patricia McPherson left
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby El Mariachi on Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:01 am

in the comedy series Newsradio Phil Hartmann made the show, when he was no more I didn't like the series so much it was like the series was all about him (which was not true ofcourse)
"Spectacular stunt my friends, but all for not... turn around please, what a pity what a pity." - gay officer in Spaceballs
"It has zombies in it, how can you not give a crap?" - Spud
El Mariachi
The Ninth Passenger

Postby d0c on Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:36 am

i can say this in one word "storyline" do i need to say more nope...
d0c
The Ninth Passenger

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:36 pm

i remember newsradio, and i agree phil hartman made the show, didnt he get shot by some gang his son was involved with in some ritual killing? thats what i read in a news report at the time anyway
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby mw2merc on Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:12 pm

Nope. His wife shot & killed him.
"I put the KILL, in SKILL!!!"
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:55 pm

maybe she was an evil metal dickweed???