UK bans PlayStation 'chipping'

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby Blade Runner on Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:18 am

Thursday, 22 July, 2004, 08:20 GMT 09:20 UK

The selling of "mod chips" for Sony PlayStation 2 game consoles has been ruled illegal by a UK high court.

A PlayStation 2 with a modified chip installed can play imported or pirated copies of the console's video games.

Mr Justice Laddie backed Sony's legal argument that its intellectual property was being infringed by people selling the chips to console owners.

The ruling is thought to be one of the first brought under a controversial European Union directive on copyright.

Sony brought its case against a man called David Ball who was accused of selling about 1,500 "Messiah" mod chips.

In the High Court, Mr Justice Laddie ruled that Mr Ball was acting illegally in selling the chips which get around the built-in copy protection system on Sony's console.

As well as declaring the sale of the mod chips illegal, Mr Laddie said that the use, advertising or possession of them for commercial purposes should be considered illegal too.

Thrown out

Sony brought the case under the EU Copyright Directive which was enacted in the UK in October 2003.

Under that directive, it is illegal to circumvent copy protection systems. But some cyber-liberties advocates claim that such laws only enshrine existing monopolies.

They say that neither professional criminals nor technically savvy users will be deterred by such legislation.

The ruling is not the first victory Sony has won against makers of mod chips. In Belgium it also won a similar case against another mod chip seller.

However, in Italy a judge threw out Sony's case saying it was up to owners of a console what they did with it.

Similarly in Spain, mod chips are seen as legal despite the EU copyright legislation.
Blade Runner
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:03 pm

That is absolutely f*cking disgraceful. I'm disgusted and shocked that such a thing can be passed in this country. :?
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby Purple.Nightmare on Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:11 pm

it suks bigtime. its my ps2 and i'll do what i want with it.

what teh fuk next? maybe sony will mod their tv's so you dont get a picture if U use a hitachi/panasonic vhs/dvd player!?
In Space No One Can Hear You Scream
Purple.Nightmare
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby spudthedestroyer on Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:27 pm

Mr "Justice" Laddie has wildly overstepped his bounds in his ruling, I suppose it wouldn't be hard to spoon-feed a judge propaganda in a field such as electrical goods. He clearly doesn't have a clue about consumer rights. It's shocking, and hopefully will prompty be reviewed/over turned by a competant judge.

Of all places in the world, I wouldn't expect this to be passed here, I do/did have a little respect for the courts in this country. Then again, just look at the which trial about video nasties, there were a few rulings back then that were scandalous and overturned.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Return to General