PDTV and HDTV

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

PDTV and HDTV

Postby Blade Runner on Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:15 pm

What I want to know is what is the difference in quality between Pure Digital TV (PDTV) and High Definition TV (HDTV). From what I can gather from some of last years rips from various places, it would seem that PDTV has superior definition, espescially when viewed on a flat screen.

I was comparing the HDTV Enterprise episodes and the PDTV Stargate SG-1 capped from Sky One and noticed how much better the definition was from Sky. I know the UK have more scanning lines on the TV's and this would obviously increase the quality of the broadcast, but is it simply that. does it depend what you watch the broadcast on.
Blade Runner
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:21 am

are you comparing that to a *real* hdtv rip or something squeezed into mpeg4? cuz I think those caps are terrible - lighting (or would you call that shading?) sucks balls. I think even 2-dvdr hdtv caps are compressed from the original source too, but that could just be my ignorance.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby O.G.N.A.N.O. on Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:32 am

http://hometheater.about.com/od/beforey ... scan_3.htm

I think it has to do with progressive scanning , and wether or not it's being broadcasted & decoded et all properly.....
CLICK HERE for a instant IQ test...
O.G.N.A.N.O.
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:50 pm

HDTV, is a digital capture of a High Definition broadcast. These aren't very common atm, but tv series are broadcast at an extremely high bitrate, with a huge resolution and awesome sound. Quality is awesome, but with releases, downsized significantly :(

PDTV just means its from digital tv, but I maybe wrong, wheras HDTV comes from digital tv, but special High Definitions broadcasts (which aren't available for every channel). They are done with a digital tuner card.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby outofspace2000 on Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:35 pm

Grabbed this off of torrent bits the first true HDTV I've seen!!
Star.Trek.Enterprise.S04E02.HR.HDTV.AC3.2.0.XviD-Q

The quality is awesome :beerchug:
outofspace2000
Skutter

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:24 pm

there's Resident Evil in true HDTV over at fh.org. Its much better quality than the retail DVD ;)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Return to General