So, now like, we just HIjJack a load of posts off of FH?

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

So, now like, we just HIjJack a load of posts off of FH?

Postby O.G.N.A.N.O. on Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:18 pm

Seriously there's a ton over there that we can just copy and paste......

The entire Alien collection, the Abyss, 2010,ET , ETC,Superman and ofcourse......AI :mrgreen:

Seriously , how tight do define scifi? what are the criteria ?

A movie that depicts a alternative & radical different society that plays in very near future or even same time, different timeline doesn't really qualifyto my humble definition.....

and ofcourse superman doesn't either.....or does it ? :mrgreen:

what about SF/horror flicks in wich the only thing SF about it is the fact that the ugly motha comes from space ? You can shoot down "deadly spawn" for "merely" being horror but then what about the BLOB ?

Tricky not ? :P

Please enlighten me :wacky:
O.G.N.A.N.O.
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby d0c on Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:50 pm

yes go for it i say lets build this place up :) about the tricky part.. spud say alien is more horror than sci-fi but as long it has an alien or some kind of space ship in it its a sci-fi... thats what i think... as long its human that do the scare/killing part its horror if alien its sci-fi but thats only my opinion..
d0c
The Ninth Passenger

Re: So, now like, we just HIjJack a load of posts off of FH?

Postby MCMLXXXVIII on Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:35 pm

O.G.N.A.N.O. wrote:Please enlighten me :wacky:

What does the extra "N" mean in your abbreviated name?

Normal?
Nasty?
Nutty?
Naughty?
Nauseous? :)
MCMLXXXVIII
Owns a Genesis Device

Re: So, now like, we just HIjJack a load of posts off of FH?

Postby O.G.N.A.N.O. on Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:32 pm

MCMLXXXVIII wrote:
O.G.N.A.N.O. wrote:Please enlighten me :wacky:

What does the extra "N" mean in your abbreviated name?

Normal?
Nasty?
Nutty?
Naughty?
Nauseous? :)

I believe the name or designation Ognao is shouted to a troll in LOTR....

This immense being does not want to be associated with a troll :matrix:
O.G.N.A.N.O.
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:50 pm

Firstly, a good movie is a good movie. If its going to get flooded in shit, then I'm going to post it where it might get more air time. Sci-fi series got dumped at fileheaven (I was the moderator) so i'm salvaging my threads, as well as some other greats from the now busy tv section. The way I see it, its your duty to save a good movie like that. Remember you have to have got and verified that. Hijacking is totally wrong to say, if I quote someones post its because I've downloaded it and what've released is shit hot :) I hate it when good stuff gets swamped by the tenth rip of Love Actually or some other junk :lol:

Anyways, for horror, I really don't mind cross posting the odd movie. Alien is already on the frontpage of dead-donkey so unless its another rip... I'd just say, necessity. Use your best judgement, you really can't be wrong if its a so called scifright, although I'd urge proper horror to go on the horror board of course, but here is fine aswell.

I'm hoping in the end, it won't be too often that's there's a sticky decision, so use your best judgement... in your case og, erm... ask someone :lol:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby mw2merc on Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:55 am

Hell yeah, but make sure to just sort by MOVIE or TV. Also list if it's SVCD/AVI, DVD/TV source, & links to other pages like TV Tome/IMDB.

Alien is SciFi Spud. :twisted: It is ALSO horror. If I had to sort it one or the other, SciFi wins.

Alien: SciFi-Horror
Aliens: SciFi-Action
"I put the KILL, in SKILL!!!"
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby Jynks on Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:36 am

I think that we shouldn't be to heavey about the "wat is sci-fi stuff... if you have a movie like say "Alien" or "The deadly spawn" then post it on BOTH the horror and Sci-fi boards... not hard. Problem solved.
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:18 am

mw2merc wrote:Alien is SciFi Spud. :twisted:

I agree with the writers and Ridley on this one.. its a horror film... in space :p
:wacky: :mrgreen:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Jynks on Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:18 pm

"IN SPACE"

sci-fi!
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:05 pm

"no one can here you scream"
horror ;)

Horror > Sci-fi, in that case.

Perfectly welcome to be posted here, since the databases are no longer shared, I'd just point out that there's really no need to cross-post stuff in most cases, especially stuff I frontpaged. But if it floats your boat, post in both forums if you must, I suspect ultimately there'll be many people that aren't really interested in horror and ditto with sci-fi.

Try not to be so generic about it if you do, gets a bit samey :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby mw2merc on Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:37 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:"no one can here you scream"
horror ;)

Horror > Sci-fi, in that case.

They obviously missed using a dictionary:

Science Fiction - n.
A literary or cinematic genre in which fantasy, typically based on speculative scientific discoveries or developments, environmental changes, space travel, or life on other planets, forms part of the plot or background.

Horror - n
1: intense and profound fear
2: something that inspires horror; something horrible; "the painting that others found so beautiful was a horror to him"
3: intense aversion [syn: repugnance, repulsion, revulsion]

This film can be SciFi w/o Horror, but not Horror w/o SciFi.

***SciFi***

spudthedestroyer wrote:I suspect ultimately there'll be many people that aren't really interested in horror and ditto with sci-fi.

Just us select few. :twisted: Their loss.
"I put the KILL, in SKILL!!!"
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:58 pm

hmmm, sorry but that piggy just doesn't fly :) A mere subpresence should not, and is not elevated above its core subject matter. It is a horror film. It's a traditional monster flick (originally intended as a Coreman movie in fact); in space (like most of his shit horror films). It's therefore a horror film set in a scifi environment. A so called scifright.

But I don't get what your trying to get at saying its a scifi, therefore it can't be a horror film. You just failed boolean logic :lol:

he likes football, he likes cricket;
he likes football therefore he does not like cricket = 0 :mrgreen:

To quote Spock, "it is illogical jim" ;) Horror film, in space. Your dictionary quotes are also flawed in the fact that one is describing merely a genre, whilst the other is taking a literal and applicable version of horror rather than its genre descriptive equivalent :)

But this arguement has been done to death on horror has a home (quite a nice thread if you want to dig it up) previously and as a case to allow horror movies to be posted here, I already said I don't mind since we split the database, so its irrelevant (despite the fact that to call alien a scifi movie over a horror movie is just negating what the movie is in my opinion) as an arguement for allowing their postage here. If you want to chat about it, pick up on where the alien discussion left off @ forum.dead-donkey.com . (It was primarily about Alien 3, the other one I'd describe as a 'horror' movie, as Aliens is a Sci-fi/action and ditto on number 4).
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Return to General