Captain Scarlet TNS

The place to discuss Movies, Music, Games, Literature. All Sci-fi releated discussions. Whether it's about favourite movies, movie quotes, movie news etc. Please try and stay on topic (off-topic banter to above section).

Moderator: General Mods

Captain Scarlet TNS

Postby Blade Runner on Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:03 pm

Review: All-new CGI version interrupts Saturday mornings.

Honestly now, if somebody had said to you five years ago that 2005 would see a revival of Battlestar Galactica praised for its gritty realism, would you have believed them? Nah, course you wouldn't. And after last year's live action Thunderbirds debacle (kiddie geniuses saving the world, I ask youå) the new CG revival of Gerry Anderson's legendary puppet series Captain Scarlet certainly had a lot to live up to.

Having sat through an hour of screaming brats throwing cakes at each other on Ministry of Mayhem (and that was just Lee from Blue and the presenters), those who tuned in to ITV1 last Saturday morning must have sat staring at the screen in shock. For not only is the new-look Captain Scarlet top-notch telefantasy entertainment, it's also unremittingly grim, nasty and totally unsuitable for younger kids. Gruesome deaths? Check! (Man squished to death inside a car crusher) Resurrected corpses? Check! (Captain Black's hand punching through the top of his coffin must surely have causes some sleepless nights for the ickle ones). A hero who's been brought back from the dead and who's now no longer human? Check!

Gerry Anderson's team has done a fantastic job at bringing the Captain Scarlet story bang up-to-date. All of the ships and vehicles are recognisably similar to the ones in the original puppet series, but they now feel a lot 'heavier' and realistic than before (which is more than a little ironic).

Even the new voices are just about tolerable - it'll take a while to forget the dulcet tones of Francis Matthews and Ed Bishop, unfortunately. In fact, the only thing about the new series that seemed to misfire was the music - a complete lack of any kind of recognisable theme tune melody is a real shame. And as for the reworked 'Chris Evans rapid head swivel from one camera to another' music - sheesh!

But still, a magnificent reworking of an old telly classic. Now let's keep our fingers crossed that the revival of another old telefantasy series is equally as good. Let's just hope that Doctor Who doesn't get scheduled in the middle of Dick 'n' Dom in Da Bungalow...
Blade Runner
Modding the Machine

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:52 am

u may like to take a look at my capt scarlet 2005 thread in the tv release section then mr bladerunner

i do agree about the theme tune, and i really wish dick and dom would copy the legendary eric morcombe and tommy cooper and have fatal heart attacks on stage, dick and dom under my foot it should be called followed by a nice squish sound as i wipe them out of existence

i also hope doctor who is good, hmm billie piper tho not quite sure what possesed them there but ill give her a chance to prove herself, lets face it it cant be any worse then the 1996 tv movie with paul macgann where the americans got hold of the franchise and fucked it to death
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby Blade Runner on Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:03 am

cool, I watched ep one last week and it's quite good :mrgreen:
Blade Runner
Modding the Machine

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:38 pm

Blade Runner wrote:cool, I watched ep one last week and it's quite good :mrgreen:

aslong as your not talking about dick and dom in da bungalow :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Return to Sci-fi Fanatics Cabal