Firefly - Serenity Trailer

The place to discuss Movies, Music, Games, Literature. All Sci-fi releated discussions. Whether it's about favourite movies, movie quotes, movie news etc. Please try and stay on topic (off-topic banter to above section).

Moderator: General Mods

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:50 pm

lol, that picture in the background is sooooooo buffy :lol:

I'll skip it and wait for a dvdscr/dvdrip :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby dinky on Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:10 pm

didja watch the first scene?
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:00 am

nope not going to watch any sound byte or scenes, goning to wait till i can watch the whole thing and not spoil it.

As it stands, if its better than absolute wank it will be better than i expected :lol:

"Alien you say? I know let rape it in the ear and call it alien 4"
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:43 pm

and you complain about me dismissing a show full of muppets.

/me shakes his head
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:20 pm

yeah but you should know by now, I'm substantially better than you at everything and when i say something rivers part, mountains move, my ego sores and the pregnancy rate grows tenfold 8)

I'm trying to invoke a response on how its much different than I am perceiving and its all down to just marketing, and the film is actually rather fresh, original and good. Feedback from previews and the like seems a bit flakey.... but really, on the whedon thing, he did piss on the alien franchise :lol: If that's not a motive i don't know what is.

However, this is pretty much what I'm talking about... how can it be less buffy?

I go back to my original comments, how can it be any less obvious that whedon was creating *another* uber chick series? I can just imagine why fox cancelled it, and that's because they probably thought he was just making another buffy, and when it wasn't as popular, off went its funding.

Me? Teasing serenity fans, based on the alien factor? Never.... :wacky:

I'm still going to watch the movie eventually; but you've got to admit, the marketing department is trying very hard to make it a buffy movie (or easily because a) its pretty much got glaring simalaritiies b) its way more popular (some would say better too) than firefly ever was/could be c) makes sense to do so) without being a buffy movie (if the film itself isn't like that as you say). Given the plot similarities, character traits and writing style, the comparisons going to happen and its more than apt.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:52 pm

erm...actually, it's a lot like buffy (although the "philosophy" of the movie deals with the capt.'s psychology not his cargo/crew). and hell yes they are playing-up that aspect. iunno how you can blame the writer for A4 though. that's just below the belt. and you know it. and so I can now and forever mock farscape for being nothing but a show with a buncha muppets and do it as much justice as you do whedon by bringing up A4 any time his name is attached to anything.

booyah!

"dashing and daring, courageous and caring, friendly and faithful with stories to share - all through the forest, they sing out in chorus, marching along as their song fills the air: guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmie bearrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs! bouncing here and there and everywhere! high adventure that's beyond compare! they are the gummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmie bearrrrrrrrrrs!" :mrgreen:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:09 pm

LOL, is it hell, god damn it... i demand blood... that shit bastard deserves every bit of cirticism for that film. i'm sorry but out of all the collosal f*ck ups on alien four, without a doubt the absolutely awful writing is the most horrendous effort ever, the wrong choice of director, some questionable actor choices, terrible performance from Miss Weaver... hell even CGI aliens, all of it pales next to the utterly shit plot/story and terrible characters... and who's faults that? Whedon. Suck that one down as much as you want, of course, but he dicked everyone on that film :wacky:

:mrgreen:

Yeah your doing a real good job at holding water. Oh yeah look at you retaining water... yeah nice one.
2-0 :p

ps. Good job you've seen 'scape, you won't make the mistake of thinking the puppets are muppets since they are made out of latex and what, not muppets. That would just make you look like testic... oh right never mind :wacky:
Empire strikes back owns your ass.

btw, on a totally different and more serious/curious note, what's wrong with puppets? Because i always thought puppets and prophetics is easily the best way to do aliens.. otherwise you get this lame star trek lady painted green or a cgi character, both of which are a tad wank. One of the reasons the asthetics are so good in farscape despite the slightly misguided attempt to make it negative. Star Wars, or an old fantasy film without puppets would be so lame...

pps. erm, gummie bears was a cartoon wasn't it? erm a cartoon with... errr.. i'm sure it made sense when you wrote it :P
Last edited by spudthedestroyer on Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:22 pm

Speaking of muppets, there's an angel episode as real muppets iirc.
btw did you see the muppet version of farscape picture?
:lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Jynks on Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:13 pm

HAHAHAHA that pic is great!!! BTW did you know there was a farscape Game? set in the story line of season 1?

Farscape the Game @ Mininova
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:26 pm

i didn't even know there was a battlestar gallactica game until i saw it on pirate bay...

however, if its the game i'm thinking of its supposed to be absolutely terrible... its one of those crappy cashin games set from a far away 3rd person perspective, the ones that were pretty much the only kind of movie tie in games around before goldeneye and the like made licensing big again.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Jynks on Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:39 pm

the battlestar game is quite good it came out way early in the xbox season a little berfore the TV show mini series aired. I quite like it though the mother space sim is still Wing Commander 1!!

This is a little off topic but has anyone played the black and white 2 yet?

Black and White 2 @ mininova
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:50 pm

nope, downloading but it probably won't be played for ages.

The reason - Age of Empires III is out which is serious fun :)

I respect Lionhead for being innovative... fresh original games are always more likely to be in and amongst my favourites, and I loved fable for that reason. However, I could never really approach B&W, the ai just wasn't there like they claimed and it was just really long and tedious.

The game itself was rather unapproachable.

I've heard people say the same thing about the sequel so its been pushed to the sidelines for now.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:12 am

spudthedestroyer wrote:btw, on a totally different and more serious/curious note, what's wrong with puppets? Because i always thought puppets and prophetics is easily the best way to do aliens.. otherwise you get this lame star trek lady painted green or a cgi character, both of which are a tad wank. One of the reasons the asthetics are so good in farscape despite the slightly misguided attempt to make it negative. Star Wars, or an old fantasy film without puppets would be so lame...

pps. erm, gummie bears was a cartoon wasn't it? erm a cartoon with... errr.. i'm sure it made sense when you wrote it :P

I understand that you're deeply in love with the show and therefore see only the positive, but how can you seriously ask that questign? yes, puppets can make excellent (usually the best) aliens/monster (especially with animatronix (aliens, jp3, etc.) but lookit the stupid looking things they created on farscape. they look like saturday morning rejects, drawn and designed for kids...young kids. pilot is close to acceptable except he looks retarded (seriously...like he's smoked 10x too much weed or something). the one that farts all the time (rigel?) really does look like he's a distant cousin of gonzo (that means he belongs in a muppets movie) except he's too plastic even for that. and then you combine that with the retarded CATS reject (who would be pretty if I could keep from laughing at the fact that she looks like they pulled her off the CATS stage - seriously, how can you mock Star Trek aliens with shit like this?) and don't even get me started on the extreme corniness of the "big bad guy" (scorpion) who looks like a first draft reject of a spider-man villain.

you say it's the best show on sci-fi? yeah. sure. ok.

you say I can't watch an entire season (its first at that!) and judge the show's worth. ok. whatever. to each his own.

you bitch and moan about every other show sci-fi runs cuz they dropped your precious? hey. do what ya gotta do. we all feel that way about certain shows/movies.

but please. please please please stop blowing smoke up my ass as if it's SUCH a stretch to understand the FACT that your precious muppets, the lady from CATS and the guy dressed-up as the Bitch in Pulp Fiction are difficult to take seriously.
Last edited by dinky on Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:48 am

Just for the record, by "every other series", what every other series would that be? Firefly?

I rag on firefly because its being vastly bummed and is really droll and uninspiring, lots of geeks build it up and its so easy to knock it down.

Your the one that keeps bringing farscape up in a firefly thread, ironically trying to find weakness in its strengths ;) Stop being Whedish, unless that's you Joss... in which case, make another alien film and i'll seriously track you down. Stick with wonder woman :wacky:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:01 pm

every other being every show sci-fi airs.

I'll stop bringing up the muppet brigade when you stop bringing up A4 every time you get a whiff of joss whedon being mentioned.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:21 pm

firstly, how do you justify that i rag on every other scifi show? Can you list them? Star Trek I've been vocal about since forever, since I don't like the format or the morality, Stargate once again because its the same format as Star Trek and it lacks any sort of story hook for me, and firefly, because of its overstated illusions of originality of what in essense is a pretty sub par series. That's three shows, yet i go on about bsg, x files, b5, hell i've even supported the cheesiness of lexx because at least it was original and tremors for being a good disposable, low budget effort. I've also supported and criticised both buffy and angel for various reasons. Futurama rules too. 8)

Or could it more than possibly because your a whedon/firefly fan, and i've voiced criticisms of him and his multigenre writing abilities that have crossed your line? That's an aside :lol:, but its the same reason i get pissed off with passive, or un(il)justified comments on stuff i like. Always gotta know why.

ps. If it makes you feel your validating your arguments in whatever way. Bring on the muppets. Seriously, if muppets are of your primary concern, bring them up whenever, or not at all if you think its a rebuttal against the criticisms you can substantiate. Self censorship is bad...mkay.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:32 am

when any original sci-fi content airs, here's you're reaction:

stargate - it's wank. bring back farscape.

atlantis - it's wank. bring back farscape.

bsg (gulp) - it's great. bring back farscape.

tremors - decent show. they should have cancelled this not farscape.

tripping the rift - I've not seen it, but man...they should replace it with farscape.

(I don't actually remember anything about lexx, but tell me how this sounds..."lexx - it's a nice try but they should cancel it to do more eps of farscape")

now you mentioned ST and X-files and B5, but those are just syndicated, shows with no new episodes and really have no place in the discussion. but if you must...

firefly - why are they rehashing this crap? (because there's a new movie coming out, you turd!) bring back farscape.

B5 - great series, it was. like yoda, I speak. back, bring farscape.

ST - was wank. farscape is the best because it's nothing like ST.

X-files - this was a very nice show before it wasn't. oh? they're re-airing it? they should bring back farscape.

:?

am I a whedon fan? well I loved buffy although it turned into shit, but you could say that about x-files and still think it was a great show. angel was good (at times better than buffy - usually when buffy was bad by then - most of the time just a spinoff of buffy). firefly was bleah. I hate westerns. well...that's not true. I was just annoyed that they would waste "sci-fi" on a western. why not just waste "western" on a western? it'll prolly draw a larger audience. so I watched a handful of eps and they were ok. but it was a western and I wanted sci-fi and most of what I did like was just cut 'n' paste from angel which was cut 'n' paste from buffy. so I didn't watch it. which means I'm one of the many who didn't watch it. which would make me not a fan. I sing this whole sad spectator story cuz I watched the teaser trailer for the movie. liked it. got a 2-for-1 deal on the dvds. bought them. watched them in succession. loved it. so am I a fan of firefly? sure, with one huge caveat.

A4 was ok. yeah yeah, it was shit. blah blah blah. it wasn't like trying to watch the village or alexander.

toy story was very good (not great). sequel was great. but then, I am a SW fan.

buffy the movie was really really bad. not as bad as alexander or the village, but those two movies had a lot further to fall.

so no. I think I'm a fair judge of the guy's resume. it's not all champange and caviar dreams. in fact, it's really just buffy and then pieces of buffy recycled (when it's good) up to serenity. which is literally angel + buffy but emphasis on angel (which is a manifestation of buffy). see? simple.

A4 was a dud. the guy wrote it. the director directed it. the studio made it. everyone was man-handled by (exec) producers. if you're going to peg responsibility for a movie on one person, it's the director. you saw city of lost children. it's got that guy's piss all over it, which - hate to break it to you - is more important to the end result than the writing. that said - the cloning thing was just dumb. the hybrid baby was REALLY dumb (and that I attribute to whedon because of a similar occurance in toy story - although it's worth noting that there are very very similar plot elements in city as well...in fact, more direct than the franken-toys in story). the look of the baby was really REALLY dumb, and letting that happen falls on the director. the fact of an underwater chase and the rest of the chase throughout the ship is just fine. the execution</i>, you may certainly argue, was sub par. but the bare bones, the scaffold is there. my gawd! that's the plot to aliens: "here they come. let's get the hell out of here! ah!!!!" wynnona ryder was a silly casting choice but the fact of a cyborg in the movie is a given (prolly even at the studio level - as was the inclusion of ripley) both of which, in and of themselves, predicated a sub par movie. but hey, it could have been worse. they could have made AVP. oh yeah. at least A4 made sense.
Last edited by dinky on Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:17 am

when any original sci-fi content airs, here's you're reaction:

stargate - it's wank. bring back farscape.

atlantis - it's wank. bring back farscape.

bsg (gulp) - it's great. bring back farscape.

tremors - decent show. they should have cancelled this not farscape.

tripping the rift - I've not seen it, but man...they should replace it with farscape.

(I don't actually remember anything about lexx, but tell me how this sounds..."lexx - it's a nice try but they should cancel it to do more eps of farscape")

now you mentioned ST and X-files and B5, but those are just syndicated, shows with no new episodes and really have no place in the discussion. but if you must...

firefly - why are the rehashing this crap? (because there's a new movie coming out, you turd!) bring back farscape.

B5 - great series, it was. like yoda, I speak. back, bring farscape.

ST - was wank. farscape is the best because it's nothing like ST.

X-files - this was a very nice show. oh? they're re-airing it? they should bring back farscape.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Not really acurate but funny anyways!

've heard people say the same thing about the sequel so its been pushed to the sidelines for now.

I agree with what you were saying but I heard people say that this version of the game is basicaly a GFX update and addressing these issues you speak of.
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:24 pm

I agree... that post sucks... Bring back farscape! :wacky:

I'm pretty sure you'll find that that's largely in your mind dinky, largely but not entirely perhaps :lol:

btw.. not a peep about Titan AE? :wacky:

I agree with what you were saying but I heard people say that this version of the game is basicaly a GFX update and addressing these issues you speak of.

Well i'll play it eventually i think, just not while AOE3 is in the picture.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:07 am

spudthedestroyer wrote:

I agree... that post sucks... Bring back farscape! :wacky:

I'm pretty sure you'll find that that's largely in your mind dinky, largely but not entirely perhaps :lol:

btw.. not a peep about Titan AE? :wacky:

didn't know he had anything to do with it. forgetable movie with lame voices, but decent enough, I guess. that is...better than final fantasy for story. worse for animation, but the same ballpark. course, I also liked treasure planet, and that one got similar kinds of lukewarm and negative reviews. didn't recognize any whedon buffyisms or anything iirc.

you ought to be happy they buried farscape when they did. most shows die slow and painful deaths well after their prime.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

PreviousNext

Return to Sci-fi Fanatics Cabal