V for Vendetta

The place to discuss Movies, Music, Games, Literature. All Sci-fi releated discussions. Whether it's about favourite movies, movie quotes, movie news etc. Please try and stay on topic (off-topic banter to above section).

Moderator: General Mods

V for Vendetta

Postby <insert> on Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:07 pm

V for Vendetta (2006)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_for_Vendetta

It is perhaps simplistic to declare that "V for Vendetta" is Alan Moore's version of George Orwell's "1984." Orwell came up with his "prophetic" title by reversing the last two digits of the year in which he wrote his book. Moore began his story in 1982, picturing a future that was around the corner and setting his tale in then late 1990s in a Britain that had become a fascist state. Moore worked from the assumption that in 1983 the Conservatives would lose the elections and that the Labour Party would remove American missiles from the British Isles, which meant that England would no longer be a target during a nuclear war. In the post-holocaust Britain of the 1990s, Moore posited a Fascist takeover. The title character of V is a one time victim of a concentration camp medical experiment who is now an enigmatic hero wearing a grinning Guy Fawkes mask; Fawkes was one of the conspirators in the Gunpowder Plot that was an attempt to assassinate King James I of England. In the opening chapter V sets his sights on The Voice of Fate, the official voice of the government's propagandistic lies. From that small but significant initial victory, the battle continues.

[Official Site]
[Internet Movie DataBase]

cool, Alan Moore's graphic novel being made into a film.
Trailers are around the web for previewing - Look out for it!

:beerchug:
Slowly Building the Subterranean Internet Movie Database

News Feeds for my Lastest Finds: >> [ed2k] [BT] [NZB]
HOWTO's: rss > bt > ed2k > usenet

<insert>
The Ninth Passenger

Postby tweye on Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:42 am

can't wait!
here's another poster with nice tagline:
"You are beyond insane!"
tweye
Owns a Genesis Record

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:48 pm

"From the creators of the matrix trilogy"

If its anything beyond hollywood trash i'll be amazed.

Plus the creator of the matrix is suing Warner Bros for plagirism, i assume they mean the Wachowski bros
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby tweye on Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:53 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:"From the creators of the matrix trilogy"

to read the phrase "matrix trilogy" near that piece of art that is "V for Vendetta" is indeed very painful.
i know it'll be hollywood trash but in this case for me hope is the last to die.

spudthedestroyer wrote:Plus the creator of the matrix is suing Warner Bros for plagirism, i assume they mean the Wachowski bros

unfortunately in this case Alan Moore is already fucked as DC Comics (owned by Warner Bros) has all the rights on the comic book already. Alan has no power on his own creation and that's fucking unfair.
"You are beyond insane!"
tweye
Owns a Genesis Record

Postby dinky on Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:24 pm

I guess it was fh, but I distinctly remember a discussion about this already, including links to an article where moore was quoted as saying he has and wants nothing to do with the movie and will do nothing, obviously, to promote it.

I don't think that means the movie will be trash though. the brothers wachowski have proven themselves quite capable of taking advantage of other peoples' ideas. I mean...the sequels were terrible, but the first one was a good movie. I'm not saying great or greatest thing since SW or anything, but c'mmon - it was a good</i> movie.

I also thought Bound</i> was solid. and assassins</i> was great fun...although that was mostly cuz it's fun to watch antonio banderas swear in english with that accent. :lol:

none of their stuff breaks the mold in any way, but until the cave dance in matrix 2, none of it was P. T. Anderson (and Barnum and Bailey) bad
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:26 am

I am looking forward to this as I loved the comic..... But like most comics it is just to full on to be made into a movie unless they make it a proper R rating. I have BIG reservations that they will not pussy whip thyis charicter down to turn him from a freakn phyco into a moral "fight for justise" style bandit alla robin hood or Zoro.
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Return to Sci-fi Fanatics Cabal