"The Prisoner" remake

The place to discuss Movies, Music, Games, Literature. All Sci-fi releated discussions. Whether it's about favourite movies, movie quotes, movie news etc. Please try and stay on topic (off-topic banter to above section).

Moderator: General Mods

"The Prisoner" remake

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat May 06, 2006 8:10 am

Broadcaster Sky One could be in line for a massive payday after landing the rights to screen a remake of cult 60s series The Prisoner.

Starring the legendary Patrick McGoohan, the original 17-episode series was a resounding success when it hit TV screens in 1967.

And bosses at Sky One believe they will be able to emulate its phenomenal success just as their counterparts at the BBC did with Doctor Who.

Interest in the project is already surpassing all expectations, according to commissioning editor Elaine Pyke.

"This project has been subject to an unprecedented level of attention, attracting an array of A-list actors and writers," she said.

Meanwhile, Damien Timmer, the executive producer of the show, is wholly convinced "the ultimate conspiracy thriller" will be a massive success.

"Like 24, the new series will entrap you from the opening scene," Timmer added.

"We hope it will tap into this iconic show's existing cult following, whilst creating a whole new generation of fans."

Christopher Eccleston is said to be leading the race to take over McGoohan as The Prisoner, or more famously referred to, number six.

http://www.screenselect.co.uk/info/edit ... al_id=1932

Its good sky1 is making shows that aren't the usual tripe, but remaking the prisoner? eek!
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby dinky on Sat May 06, 2006 4:13 pm

ugh. why advetise it like 24? (sounds more like prison break to me) it's bad enough that 24 is becoming a parody of itself, I'm getting annoyed by every new show copying it in plot or presentation (the grid, the unit, etc.). reminds me of all the ER clones. oh well, at least they bothered changing the name. it's not Law & Order: Special Copycat Unit or CSI: Uranus.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun May 07, 2006 12:54 am

ER clones? If you want the ultimate hospital drama, watch Casuality.

/me smirks
Wait for Max's comment on that one! :wacky:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun May 07, 2006 3:37 pm

lol why wait for my comment? i hate 24, i hate er, i hate csi, i hate casuality, i hate law & order, and i wasnt that big of a prisoner fan either, and i dont like prison break, so either way i really dont care
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon May 08, 2006 3:14 am

I thought you'd like to mention the superiority of Casuality over american hospital shows and tag Dinky along.

opportunity missed, especially the reaction when dink tracks down an episode of casuality to see an exploding garden shed that cost the entire series' budget.

DEATH MATCH!
vs
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Jynks on Mon May 08, 2006 6:25 am

Is prisioner the one with the wierd island and "I will not be stamp, filed, debriefed or numbered" style orwellian shit in it? (simpsons did a parody of it once...

Cause if it is that tv show then LEAVE IT THE HELL ALONE!!! As it is so good and with the sensibilities of today just could never b remade as god as the original.
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon May 08, 2006 6:47 am

Who are you?
The new Number 2.
Who is Number 1?
You are Number 6.
I am not a number, I AM A FREE MAN!

simpsons did a parody of it once...

Very unsuccessfully. If that's the modern state of parody then we are in trouble :(

A very lame and post good simpsons episode (the one with the mr x website)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon May 08, 2006 10:56 am

the simpsons parody was in the episode where they all join the cult, except for marge who escape and gets chased by the white ball thing that engulfs hans moleman "no1s gay for moleman" i love that quote :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon May 08, 2006 12:11 pm

maxpayne2409 wrote:the simpsons parody was in the episode where they all join the cult, except for marge who escape and gets chased by the white ball thing that engulfs hans moleman "no1s gay for moleman" i love that quote :lol:

I don't think that's what jynks is referring to, that's just a small joke they do that a couple of times in the simpsons. The one where they join a cult with "the leader" isn't a prisoner parody, it just has the bubble in it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movementarianism
That's a good episode when the simpsons was still good :)

The parody is the one where home starts a website as Mr X. (which is what Number Six is called in The Prisoner) is (the whole episode). They capture him and send him to an island, where he escapes and is chased by a bubble (which he pops to "why did you think a giant bubble will stop him?" "shut up, that's why"). He keeps getting drugged.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Comput ... nace_Shoes

The parody is extremely lame, if you've not seen it don't bother, really :(
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon May 08, 2006 1:26 pm

hmm the episode rings a bell so i have probably seen it but it didnt create a lasting impression
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby Jynks on Mon May 08, 2006 10:48 pm

spud is right I am talking about the one when they go live on the island
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue May 09, 2006 9:35 am

Jynks wrote:spud is right I am talking about the one when they go live on the island

sucked donkey balls dint it? :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Tue May 09, 2006 3:24 pm

yes, I get that feeling every time you are right.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue May 09, 2006 5:35 pm

dinky you get the feeling you have sucked donkey balls whenever spuds right? how bizzarre but then again it is you dink :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Tue May 09, 2006 9:17 pm

indeed.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue May 09, 2006 9:18 pm

thought so... you suck donkey balls kiff.... erm i mean dinky
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Wed May 10, 2006 12:42 am

yeah...umm...I'm not getting that from the statement or your impressive restatement of the obvious.

/me pats max on the head.

s'okay. I like you just the way you are.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Black on Wed May 10, 2006 8:17 pm

Remake the prisoner? How? Is there a any way to make it relevent to to the current socio-potilical enviroment will live in? I just read an article in my local paper begging for more cctv cameras :? I don't think they can do it with the same spirit.
[]
Black
Having trouble with tribbles

Postby Jynks on Wed May 10, 2006 10:05 pm

Remake the prisoner? How? Is there a any way to make it relevent to to the current socio-potilical enviroment will live in? I just read an article in my local paper begging for more cctv cameras Confused I don't think they can do it with the same spirit.

Man you are so right. Wish I was that articulate when I I dissed it.
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby Black on Wed May 10, 2006 10:57 pm

Thanks Jynks, I love The Prisoner but it is not without it's problems. Lots of outdated ideas about social order, brainwashing and alike though good for it's time and the location is great (Portmeirion).
[]
Black
Having trouble with tribbles

Next

Return to Sci-fi Fanatics Cabal