Stargate Film Series + 3rd TV Show

The place to discuss Movies, Music, Games, Literature. All Sci-fi releated discussions. Whether it's about favourite movies, movie quotes, movie news etc. Please try and stay on topic (off-topic banter to above section).

Moderator: General Mods

Stargate Film Series + 3rd TV Show

Postby Jynks on Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:05 pm

pfmbsantos wrote:Probably everyone already heard something about this, but there you go:

MGM planning Stargate film, third series
SUNDAY - MAY 7, 2006
by Darren Sumner

Stargate owner Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Television has big plans for its hit sci-fi franchise, according to executive vice president Charles Cohen. In a new article at Multichannel News, Cohen discusses Stargate SG-1's two-hundredth episode milestone and where the valuable franchise is headed.

Cohen "says MGM 'intends' to develop a theatrical movie 'derived from the series over the last 10 years' that would ideally 'dovetail' into a third Stargate television show," according to the report.

A theatrical movie based on SG-1 would not have to wait for the series to end -- though the show's producers have been eager to do one for years, and point to the TV series' continued success as the reason it has yet to come to pass. Nor does it mean the show can't continue after a film is released. Cohen said that feature films would "not in any way impair the television run" of Stargate SG-1.

That run may inevitably come to an end for other reasons, though, as the climbing salaries inherent to a long-running series erode the profit that the company is able to make through cable licensing, syndication, and DVD sales.

"The economics of producing a show make it impossible," executive producer Robert C. Cooper told Multichannel. "The simple fact is that salaries go up incrementally as seasons continue. At some point, it just reaches the place where there's no profit to be made." (Executive producer Brad Wright recently spoke to GateWorld on this subject.)

Nevertheless, Cohen suggests that three Stargate series could run concurrently. Network television franchises such as Law & Order and CSI have proved that such a model can work. "If you look at SG-1 -- with bringing in Claudia [Black], Ben [Browder], and Beau [Bridges] -- we've retooled the series with it still being SG-1," he said. "I'd like to see SG-1 go another 10 years. I love the show. I'd like to keep it on forever and keep adding to it."

"It's very ambitious," Cohen laughed. "Brad and Rob will cringe."

Stargate is MGM's flagship television property, and has been compared to its James Bond film franchises as a long-term brand for the studio.

"Stargate on the television side represents the same type of dynamic franchise [as the James Bond movies] for us," Cohen said. "It's enormously important both in terms of what it contributes financially but also what it does for our image."

Though MGM finances most of its film projects 50/50 with new owner Sony (actually a shareholder in a consortium of investers that purchased the studio last year), Stargate is one that MGM stills finances in its entirety. "Stargate we own and finance 100 percent, and we're very supportive of it," Cohen said. "We're putting more money into the shows. It's very important to us that this series not only continue but maintain or exceed the quality of what came before. For instance, we're putting Richard Dean Anderson back in the show. We felt it was great for the fan base. That required some money that we hadn't budgeted, but we were very happy to spend."

And there's more to be made than through the traditional television and DVD channels in the digital age: No doubt much to fans' delight, Multichannel reports that an episode downloaded deal, via iTunes, is currently in negotiations. Other populer series, including NBC Universal's Battlestar Galactica, sell new episodes on iTunes for $1.99 each immediately after the first U.S. broadcast.

Whether or not a series bears the name "SG-1," the future of the Stargate franchise is bright indeed.

The tenth season of Stargate SG-1 premieres July 14 on SCI FI Channel in the U.S., and this fall on Sky One in the United Kingdom.

(Thanks to tsaxlady and Denise for the tip)

@ GateWorld

Let's hope so.
But I hope they end "Stargate: SG-1" before starting a new show. Or else they'll be making a big mistake, saturation...
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:29 pm

Yeah, sucks don't it.

Original IPs is what i'd like to see, not another Stargate rehash. The first movie sucked mostly, the series was okay for 2 minutes, they didn't need another series with atlantis, let alone another one. And the BSG spinoff, i'm not quite sure what they are playing at there.

I know what they could bring back though, Farscape! :mrgreen:
That would make a lot of people very happy :)

oh well, a spud can hope... a spud can hope..
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby dinky on Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:48 am

atlantis looks cooler than the first series (i haven't seen a single ep of it - just looking at ads and the name).
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:33 am

last weeks atlantis was pretty good.
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:35 am

looks but it isn't. I gave it a shot but it got terious real fast. Asthetically, it looks better, and the enemy weren't the Gouulullo-uoud, but it wasn't very appealing for me.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Return to Sci-fi Fanatics Cabal