Children Of Men, any good?

The place to discuss Movies, Music, Games, Literature. All Sci-fi releated discussions. Whether it's about favourite movies, movie quotes, movie news etc. Please try and stay on topic (off-topic banter to above section).

Moderator: General Mods

Children Of Men, any good?

Postby MyK on Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:07 pm

Hi all! Just wondering if anyone has seen "Children Of Men" in theaters and is it any good? There are some favorable reviews on IMDB http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0206634/ however I have lost confidence in that site. Too many fake reviewers. Should I go see it or rather wait for good quality rip :mrgreen: Thanks all!
"The products suck! There's no sex in them anymore!" (Steve Jobs)
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:37 pm

I think my little brother has seen it and thought it was okay, i'll have to remember to ask him. Personally it didn't hook me enough to see it so i've been waiting for a dvdrip.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby dinky on Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:47 am

DK said it was a pretty hollow 1984</i> retread.

imdb summary makes it seem pretty close to 12 monkeys</i> in theme (sans time travel).
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:18 am

I have not seen the movie but the book is very very good and if they get 1/2 the consept of the book across it will be a pretty good flick. unlinke 1984, witch is the systimatic erosion of the "soul" by the state and subsiquent repression and control of the populas. Children of men is about a diffrent but equaly serious problem with sociaties. Witch is the sterility of body and spirit leading to the physical end of mankind and the destruction of society, questions of individual and governmental power, religious belief, love, redemption. Rather than an inforced problem it is about simple human nature left unchecked WITH OUT any control. Can we as humans live happy lives at all? A slightly diffrent take on a simular conspet.

Well worth a read.

I have lost confidence in that site.

I agree, IMDB ratings and reviews are next to usless!!!
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby MyK on Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:21 am

I agree, IMDB ratings and reviews are next to usless!!!

Not to mention they'll welcome you with full screen flash ads, like the other day they were selling me "The Da Vinci Code" yet I'm a registered user and have already voted "6" for that flick. Lame! OK, IMDB has gone all marketing -- any other sites with complete listings less the sales BS? "Yahoo! Movies" is not my cup of tea either.

DK said it was a pretty hollow 1984 retread.

Did like Clive in "Beyond Borders" (Angelina even better :mrgreen: ) and "Closer" so I thought it's any good because of him being in it. :wacky:
"The products suck! There's no sex in them anymore!" (Steve Jobs)
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby Truba on Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:50 pm

some folks said its very good :mrgreen: i believe them :beerchug:

must try it :outsider:
Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world.
Truba
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:35 pm

jynks, so it is about witches then? :wacky:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby <insert> on Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:54 am

I have seen it and would recommend it.

It's a bit orwellian for sure :)

quite well shot I thought as I seemed to notice some ultra long takes it in, and the scene where she gives birth is really realistic , some of the running battles are pretty full on too (would be a good one on the big screen)

... love the blood on the camera effect :lol:

there is a couple of copies out that are watchable if you are interested but the sound is not as good as the picture.... my advice, if you can wait for the DVDRip

keyframes from virtualdub saved as web jpgs 85% quality

AVI File Details
========================================
Name.........: mvs-childteleciner.avi
Filesize.....: 698 MB (or 715,284 KB or 732,450,816 bytes)
Runtime......: 01:45:03 (157,585 fr)
Video Codec..: XviD
Video Bitrate: 795 kb/s
Audio Codec..: 0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-1 Layer 3
Audio Bitrate: 126 kb/s (63/ch, stereo) VBR LAME3.90.°
Frame Size...: 592x320 (1.85:1) [=37:20]
Language.....: English

ed2k: Children.Of.Men.TC.PROPER.REPACK.XViD-maVenssupplieR.avi  [698.52 Mb] [Stats]
Children.Of.Men.TC.PROPER.REPACK.XViD-maVenssupplieR.nzb
Children.Of.Men.TC.PROPER.REPACK.XViD-maVenssupplieR.torrent

:beerchug:
Slowly Building the Subterranean Internet Movie Database

News Feeds for my Lastest Finds: >> [ed2k] [BT] [NZB]
HOWTO's: rss > bt > ed2k > usenet

<insert>
The Ninth Passenger

Return to Sci-fi Fanatics Cabal