Superman: Doomsday (2007) aka. The Death of Superman

The place to discuss Movies, Music, Games, Literature. All Sci-fi releated discussions. Whether it's about favourite movies, movie quotes, movie news etc. Please try and stay on topic (off-topic banter to above section).

Moderator: General Mods

Superman: Doomsday (2007) aka. The Death of Superman

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:34 pm

Just spotted this one on imdb:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0934706/

Its set for release in September and looks kind of interesting. I don't read comics in any big way, or at least i only read interesting/alternative ones and don't generally follow basic fodder.

Anyway, this one, as i gather, is based upon a series of comics where superman dies? How are those comics? Are they dark and morbid or just another branch of the samey stories?

This movie has apparantly already premiered so i was wondering if anyone had seen it or heard anything about it?

Stars John DiMaggio (Bender), James Marsters (Spike) and one of the baldwins :)

ps. obviously animated :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Re: Superman: Doomsday (2007) aka. The Death of Superman

Postby wargand on Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:37 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:How are those comics? Are they dark and morbid or just another branch of the samey stories?

Nothing dark or morbid. Just another branch. Dark and morbid came much later. I'd say don't bother. If you are no regular DC reader, you would not know 90% of the characters of this story arc anyways.

And without having seen the movie, or even having heard of it before: It has nothing to do with the comic.
wargand
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby dinky on Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:11 am

more importantly, it is produced by paul dini and bruce timm, and written/directed by bruce timm. these are the guys who made that really good batman animated series in the 90s and the follow-up superman. WB has since tried to adapt all of their animation styles after the batman/superman series, but copying the visual style is a far cry from the mastery dini and timm brought to the originals.

there's an extended preview of this on some dvd I recently bought/watched. anyway, it should be far far better than the superman animated movie that premiered a year or two ago.

spud, I don't think you'd like any DC/Marvel superhero comic; they're aimed at tweens and teens, and their "dark" moments are about as dark as the rainbow on a box of lucky charms. but I'd suggest you try just about every Vertigo imprint (constantine, etc.).
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby wargand on Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:19 am

Preacher is nice.
:D
wargand
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby mxyzptlk on Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:25 pm

can't be bad, it has a Baldwin in it :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

kill feed repeat
mxyzptlk