DUNE

The place to discuss Movies, Music, Games, Literature. All Sci-fi releated discussions. Whether it's about favourite movies, movie quotes, movie news etc. Please try and stay on topic (off-topic banter to above section).

Moderator: General Mods

DUNE

Postby ashrack on Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:28 pm

Just watched the first series of Children Of Dune and I like it.
Upon further examination I found out that there are previous versions like for instance the DUNE 2000 mini series which I am already downloading.

But then I also found that there is a movie from 1985 called just DUNE.
Is it any good and is it important to the story? I really don't enjoy watching SCIFI movies from that era since they are a bit too antique. But if it is important to the story then I will watch it.

Is there anything else I should know about dune, except the books?
ashrack
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby MyK on Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:59 pm

"Dune" is one of those movies that you'll either love or hate and there's really no telling how you'll find it short of watching it ;) Try finding the 198 minute bootleg "Alan Smithee Version" ("Alan Smithee" is a pseudonym used by directors if you were wondering) that includes some of the scenes that were cut out of the DVD version even though they are essential parts of the whole story IMO. Anyway, you'll find all the info you'll ever need about "Dune" here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_%28film%29
"The products suck! There's no sex in them anymore!" (Steve Jobs)
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby ashrack on Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:52 am

Is this the correct file to get which I found here on DeadDonkey:
viewtopic.php?t=59&highlight=dune
ashrack
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby MyK on Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:01 pm

That's not the bootleg version (189 min) but it does include some scenes that were cut out of the only release that Lynch authorised and signed (theatrical cut ~ 137 min). Besides, it's full screen 4:3 rip as it was initially made for TV and later released on Universal Home Entertainment DVD. I wouldn't go with this version personally.
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby ashrack on Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:45 pm

Since I only have a 4:3 LCD display would it matter for me if it is 4:3 and not 16:9?

Which version would U recommend so I would know what to look for in eMule? :eatthis:
ashrack
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby MyK on Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:31 pm

Well there aren't any bootleg versions on eMule (at least none that I can find with any complete sources) so that leaves you either that rip of the extended version you found link on this site (2 CD & 4:3 FS) or you could try with the wide screen 3 CD rip that might still have sources (that would be my choice cuz it has a bit higher video bitrate and AC3 6ch audio ;)):
ed2k: Dune.(1984).Extended.Edition.CD1.DVDRip.AC3.XviD-CaGe.avi  [700.22 Mb] [Stats]
ed2k: Dune.(1984).Extended.Edition.CD2.DVDRip.AC3.XviD-CaGe.avi  [700.22 Mb] [Stats]
ed2k: Dune.(1984).Extended.Edition.CD3.DVDRip.AC3.XviD-CaGe.avi  [700.44 Mb] [Stats]

[ Add all 3 links to your ed2k client ]
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:46 pm

David Lynch's worst film, he made a real mess of Dune and personally, i think only the most stubborn of fans will claim its any kind of masterpiece... well that's my opinion on it.

It just doesn't 'have it'; I can't think of many Lynch movies that don't, but Dune doesn't have it.

Script is poor, the story is all messed up, some of the artwork is nice and what not but i think overall its a pretty poor effort for something with so much potential.

If only this film would have been made:
http://www.space.com/sciencefiction/dun ... 91019.html
http://www.duneinfo.com/unseen/timeline.asp

Alejandro Jodorowsky lined up more vision, its a shame the studio didn't have the balls and the patience for it. Judging by the fact it had a 6 hr script and would have been a movie and some tv episodes I think that would have been the real comprehensive dune.

David Lynch inherited a bit of a mess, and the resulting film was, being nice, a bit of a mess. I think that calling it "The David Lynch attempt" in the above timeline is fair.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby MyK on Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:27 pm

I withheld from commenting it before but since you started Spud I have to agree... it is rather poor attempt. To all fairness there prolly won't be any really good movie ever based on Herbert's novel. While the book is great and a masterpiece as some call it it's just not movie material IMO. Basic story is simply too complex and character development too involved with that story to pack it into a movie time frame. And the days of "Bolero" ("Les Uns et les autres") that I saw once centuries ago in a 6 hours long screening with 3x 15' long intermissions for nicotine addicts are way past us ;)
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Re: DUNE

Postby dinky on Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:27 pm

ashrack wrote:Just watched the first series of Children Of Dune and I like it.
Upon further examination I found out that there are previous versions like for instance the DUNE 2000 mini series which I am already downloading.

Children of Dune was a direct descendant of the 2000 movie. I mean they're both part of the same basic production or whatever it's called. I much preferred the actual Dune mini-series and only kind of liked Children of Dune because it gave me bits and pieces of the prior series.

I kind of agree with spud about the inferiority of the David Lynch movie. It's not much in terms of sci-fi or lynch's typical post-moderny lsd trips. it's just kind of bleah (with captain picard in it). the voice over is lame. the plot development really misses a lot. the material doesn't suit itself well for a 2 hour movie, and it shows. I've never read the books. just making the observation based on actually enjoying the sci-fi channel mini-series.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:40 am

I believe that the Dune movie is very underrate.

I agree with you guys in that is has a lot of problems. Even so i think it is very cool flick and better than a lot of other scifi you can find rolling about.

The major problem with it is of course that is is so completely different from the book. We are not talking about a lord of the rings type lets change about 50% of the book into crap re-written garbage,.. but more like a 99.9% in the case of dune. Basicaly it is the Names of places, characters and creatures, that is about as much of the books as is in the film... And the dune books rock.

Still i love the dune movie.. the film really dose try... it is not a bunch of dudes in space... it attempts to do far out ideas, and far flung true fantasy scifi consepts, and takes risks in using methods not used in film much, such as a separate dialog track though out teh film of the individual charicters thought (a left over from the book. This is an scifi exploration cinima... my fav type of film...

I wish they got cronenberg to direct and produce the script though.

Also the 2 scifi channel mini series are complete crap. Dune the film might be flawed but they at least attempted to really capture it... the scifi chan attempts are just pale reflections. Witch i guess is my point. The dune books are SOO COOL, that even a flawed honest attempt is freakn cool.
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:42 pm

I'd argue its way, way overrrated.

Check out its imdb score:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087182/
and the fact people go on and on about it. That's overrated, deeply. It doesn't deserve it.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Jynks on Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:21 pm

most of the people that post on imdb are retards.. i nvr look at their ratings or comments
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:01 pm

My point was its a pretty hugely overrated movie in popular culture and public preception which is contrary to you saying its underrated ;)

Hell, even this thread is giving it more time in the linelight that it deserves.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:33 pm

Jynks wrote:Also the 2 scifi channel mini series are complete crap. Dune the film might be flawed but they at least attempted to really capture it... the scifi chan attempts are just pale reflections. Witch i guess is my point. The dune books are SOO COOL, that even a flawed honest attempt is freakn cool.

I never read the books. but that also means I'm not looking at the productions in terms of fidelity to the source either. from that perspective, I thought the mini-series blew the movie out of the water. of course, I also don't give points for "trying" to do things. and seeing something "made for tv" does admittedly carry lower expectations with it. the sequel series (Children), though, felt overly self-indulgent and unnecessary. the political intrigues were fleshed-out and interesting, I thought. the lynch movie kinda reminded me of underworld. a movie defined by the lens filter, uninspired, and lots of blue eyes but without the benefit of slick clothes, hot chicks, or superhuman action. that's right: I just said underworld was better. :twisted: :lol:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:28 am

I just said underworld was better.

OUCH!!! lol
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:53 am

wow, underworld is better?

not sure about that one, i do remember dune was incredibly boring and annoying but i remember underworld being a tad shit.

I have no intention of watching either again really, so I'll just leave it at saying i'd rather not watch either again :lol:

From what i remember, Children was better than Dune... the acting and style had settled so it looked and felt like a better production.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:18 am

meh. maybe. I thought the story was silly. I thought the way the father/hero/prince/king from the first movie dies in Children was kind of shameless. I thought the stuff with the sister running amuck was pedestrian compared to the succession and political intrigues of the first series. I was interested in it only because I had become interested in anything I could get my hands on for the future of the characters that I was drawn to in the first series. as far as tv mini-series go, though, I thought Children was very good, but Dune was far more engrossing. iunno. clearly more about what worked for me rather than any objective criteria thing.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:03 pm

I guess; i'd read the books if i were you they are very difficult but very rewarding. if you don't mind reading jihad every other word :lol:

@hero... wow, i think Frank Herbert would crack your face in with a rock if he heard you say that :lol: There are no heroes in Dune.

I think your criticism of the mini-series applies to the sequel books; its a shift in emphasis as the muaddib has become a junkie of sorts in the children due to his abuse of spice. His sister was clearly insane in the first instance, its just more clear here with the battle of multiple personalities. One of the things i like about the Dune series is the heroes are all self-damaging and infact not heroes at all, the muaddib was never meant to be a hero and the children of dune shows this.

We are entering spoiler terriroty here. What ultimately ends up is some really f*cked up sequels with a giant slug emporer (as the child is clearly mutating into a worm).
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Jynks on Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:27 pm

the golden path taht paul was so afraid of, the one he wussed out on to be come that old wandering begger prophit guy
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:00 am

hero as in tragic hero or main character. gimme a break.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Next

Return to Sci-fi Fanatics Cabal