Hitchhiker On Its Way

The place to discuss Movies, Music, Games, Literature. All Sci-fi releated discussions. Whether it's about favourite movies, movie quotes, movie news etc. Please try and stay on topic (off-topic banter to above section).

Moderator: General Mods

Hitchhiker On Its Way

Postby Blade Runner on Thu May 27, 2004 1:23 pm

Hitchhiker On Its Way

Garth Jennings, director of the upcoming film version of Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and his producer, Nick Goldsmith, told fans on the movie's official Web site that the movie is already well underway. "Just a quick note to say, 'Don't panic,'" the filmmakers wrote. "We are in our fourth week of shooting, and with the first 15 minutes of the film in the can, we are now on the Heart of Gold set! Everyone involved, from cast to crew, have been an incredible help getting us to this point. We will keep you updated with our progress."

Based on Adams' well-loved BBC radio serial and the books it spawned, the film version of Hitchhiker includes several major new additions to the plot that Adams himself introduced in scripts penned shortly before he died in 2001, the site said. The movie will star Martin Freeman as Arthur Dent, Sam Rockwell as Zaphod Beeblebrox, Zooey Deschanel as Trillian and Mos Def as Ford Prefect.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blade Runner
Modding the Machine

Postby d0c on Thu May 27, 2004 3:25 pm

this movie i will be looking forward to.... :)
d0c
The Ninth Passenger

Postby Blade Runner on Fri May 28, 2004 7:17 pm

Hitchhiker's In Good Hands

Karey Kirkpatrick, who is writing the big-screen adaptation of Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, recently posted an interview on the film's official Web site with himself. "So we're six weeks into filming Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and the powers that be (PTB) thought it would be a good idea to kick it off with an interview with me, the screenwriter," Kirkpatrick wrote. "Since that is, after all, where this incarnation of the film started."

Kirkpatrick, whose previous work includes the CGI-animated film Chicken Run, wrote that he decided to interview himself because he would ask harder questions and because no one has asked to interview him. The interview which follows includes questions such as "Who the H*#&! [sic] are you and what gives you the right to muck around with this treasured piece of literature, you American Hollywood hack?" and "What gives you the right to decide what stays and what goes, you formulaic, chicken-writing BAS%*(&*! [sic]?" Kirkpatrick admits that he never read the book before being asked to adapt it into a film, but insists that the film is in good hands "from the top down."

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, directed by Garth Jennings, stars Martin Freeman as Arthur Dent, Zooey Deschanel as Trillian, Mos Def as Ford Prefect and Sam Rockwell as Zaphod Beeblebrox. Filming is currently underway in London for release in June of 2005.
Blade Runner
Modding the Machine

Postby maxpayne2409 on Fri May 28, 2004 7:22 pm

cant wait to see this myself either, i liked the bbc tv series and the book.. yes i can read shocked aint ya :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby Blade Runner on Fri May 28, 2004 7:25 pm

I've watched it god knows how many time yet I always seem to miss the same bloody episodes every time.
Blade Runner
Modding the Machine

Postby maxpayne2409 on Fri May 28, 2004 7:28 pm

hehehe oh deary me, well u could jsut dl it lol

incidently (/me cross threading again) i didnt get an email for this reply either :evil: , i'll probably get 30 emails all at once later
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby Purple.Nightmare on Sat May 29, 2004 2:03 am

i have the radio series, the books and the tv series and hope this does justice to them and Douglas Adams

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0371724/
In Space No One Can Hear You Scream
Purple.Nightmare
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby mw2merc on Mon May 31, 2004 7:19 am

A movie now? Damn, already had the radio show & the 1981 series. WTF does it NEED a remake/movie? Not gonna have enough time to get it all in. The series is 3hrs 14mins and the radio show is 5hrs 47 mins. No movie can compare to that w/ people willing to sit through that all at once.
Last edited by mw2merc on Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I put the KILL, in SKILL!!!"
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon May 31, 2004 12:07 pm

possibly theyll make it kill bill style? with the second part following the first within a matter of months?
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby mw2merc on Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:22 pm

maxpayne2409 wrote:possibly theyll make it kill bill style? with the second part following the first within a matter of months?

Geeze, I hope not! I'm getting tired of this movie fad that's REQUIRING more than 1 movie to tell a story.
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:59 pm

so am i, i think its really stupid n crap, unfortunately it proves popular by the common moron who goes "ooh must stay with the in crowd and pay cinema to see film part 2409675 the money raking scheme continues :evil:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby mw2merc on Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:55 pm

maxpayne2409 wrote:so am i, i think its really stupid n crap, unfortunately it proves popular by the common moron who goes "ooh must stay with the in crowd and pay cinema to see film part 2409675 the money raking scheme continues :evil:

It's also sad, that the people running the theaters showing the movies are run like dogs. Min wage ONLY, little breaks, & lots of physical labor. Not like construction mind you. Ticket prices practically all go back to the movie companies. Theaters survive alone on consessions. Which is why prices are high for those.
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:15 pm

yep thats true, my sister used to work for a cinema the wages were quite good there tho, it was a small cinema that was council funded and had been around in my town for about 30+ years and then UCI turn up and what happens, they pay the council vast amounts for the land, so the councils like "right fuck it we dont need some shitty other little cinema lets close it down even though the public are making a massive outcry about it lets jsut not listen", the cinema she worked at wasnt even one that exactly goes up against big cinemas it is and always has been the kind of cinema that shows foreign, alternative movies, the kinda place our lot would go to have a rare scifi/horror evening etc, they used to have a horror night every halloween for years from 1972-1990 showing alternative and different horror movies, they had a few scifi nights aswell over the time, but then the council changed and decided they wanted the cinema to go more mainstream so started showing more mainstream movies and recently before it was shut down they were showing the recent blockbuster movies. but like i said the cinemas gone now and its a shame because it used to be such a good little cinema
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby mw2merc on Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:38 am

OK, so is this thread officially ONIONED??? :twisted:

Yeah, it's usually the small ones that are the best. This one near me was closed for 4 months. Regency bought it from Edwards who drove it into the ground. I've heard so many people say how glad they are it's open again. Some just for the conveniance of it being close by them so they don't have to drive a long way to get to one of these huge multiplex theaters.

One of the other Regency theaters is going to have basically a film festival soon going through several Stanley Kubrick movies (2001 A Space Odyssey, Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket, The Shining, & Dr. Strangelove) every Sat in July (5 of 'em). I talked with the MGR who's going to run that to see if he could do that here. He said, if this set goes good at the other one, he's going to try that here. Of course I'm going to try & get some input on it, but doubtful in the end. But hey, maybe I can influence him a little.
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:40 pm

cool hope it goes well :)
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Return to Sci-fi Fanatics Cabal