Help: Identify old movie

The place to discuss Movies, Music, Games, Literature. All Sci-fi releated discussions. Whether it's about favourite movies, movie quotes, movie news etc. Please try and stay on topic (off-topic banter to above section).

Moderator: General Mods

Help: Identify old movie

Postby bobroff on Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:43 am

I saw a last-man-on-Earth movie on TV some time in the '70s. I don't know the title. It takes place in the US. It opens with a black man trapped underground (mine? construction site?). He manages to free himself only to find that all other people are gone: cars sit empty in motionless traffic jams, etc. After a while he meets a white woman who thought she was alone in the world. Later on, another (white) man shows up in a boat having traveled from somewhere in the southern hemisphere where he is, apparently, the last remaining human.

The general plot outline is reminiscent of "The Quiet Earth" (1985), which I've not seen, which was based on a 1981 novel. I saw this movie before 1981. There are no zombies, so it can't be "The Omega Man" (Charlton Heston). A friend once said it was called "This Quiet Earth" but a search for that title only turns up "THE Quiet Earth" and it's not that film.

Ideas anyone?

Bobroff
bobroff
Red Shirted Trekker

Re: Help: Identify old movie

Postby Truba on Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:27 pm

the world the flesh and the devil
maybe???
Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world.
Truba
Owns a Genesis Device

Re: Help: Identify old movie

Postby bobroff on Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:55 am

YES! "The World the Flesh and the Devil" (1959) Thank you!
bobroff
Red Shirted Trekker

Return to Sci-fi Fanatics Cabal