Let it be settled once and for all : Alien 3 or Alien 4 ?

The place to discuss Movies, Music, Games, Literature. All Sci-fi releated discussions. Whether it's about favourite movies, movie quotes, movie news etc. Please try and stay on topic (off-topic banter to above section).

Moderator: General Mods

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:58 am

Good idea, watching them back to back is a great experience, and highlights the flaws in each more clear, and what they do well. So you got a projector? Coolness, I've been wanting to get one for sometime. What model and how much she cost? (projector, not russian bride :lol:)

ps. Rear Admiral Lieutenant General A. J. Rimmer :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby dinky on Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:32 am

oddly enough, I did have a russian bride all lined up, but she refused to trim the hedges, so I refused to sign her green card. hehe

naw... umm just upgraded to a Benq PB7100 so I can make use of all the HDTV signals I'm getting now. $1200. $200 for the ceiling mount (assuming it ever arrives). sampled the HDTV signal already. awesome. really is a big difference in quality (odd that I don't see it on the plasma displays in stores).

was running InFocus LP 240 previously.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby bobbystills on Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:38 am

from what i heard alien3 would of been alot better if the producers and sigcorny weaver wouldnt have been fucking w/ the director, fincher, whom imho has shown in his other films to have alot of skillz.
Alien 8.7/10
Aliens 7.4/10
Alien³ 5.9/10
Alien Resurrection 5/10
bobbystills
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:10 pm

well if anything, the asphetics and technical direction of Alien3 is better than the fourth which is a trait of Fincher as a director.

@dinky, sounds pretty nifty, btw, how much do you fork out for new bulbs nowadays, still an extortionate amount?
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby bobbystills on Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:17 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:well if anything, the asphetics and technical direction of Alien3 is better than the fourth which is a trait of Fincher as a director.

i agree the production design and photography alone put ressurection to shame w/out even considering the rec center and basketball hoop
:matrix:
bobbystills
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby dinky on Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:37 pm

$250-$350. they last about 2 years (more or less depending on the projector and the settings you choose) with daily usage as TV, gaming consoles, and Movie Projection.

The LP 240 had to be replaced after only a year and a half. Actually, it shut down based on the number of hours on the bulb and I had to reset the timer, but then I replaced it a week later anyway - use the old one as a spare. I think it was 1200 lumens. 5-10 hrs/day.

first projector was a Toshiba something or other (LCD). only 800 lumens but lasted for 3 years. at which time it conked out on me. so I replaced the bulb, but the real problem was that a few internal fans needed to be replaced. 5-10 hrs/day.

My friend's Infocus is 2200 lumens and the bulb has blown up twice on him. no idea what the situation is - that's 2 lamps in 2.5. years. I know that's not normal, but I also think the greater lumenicity, the shorter the bulb life - in general. he also doesn't use it nearly as much as I do mine.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:02 pm

Am looking into getting a projector myself you see, I don't have a fortune to spend but I'm saving up the pennies :lol: That InFocus one only seems to have a resolution of 800x600... I suppose that's adequet for watching DVDs and what have you? Tv-out would be a must for me though.

ps. Hey alien3 is 'winning'.. haven't checked to see if there's anymore cheaters though :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:17 pm

anyone who votes for alien 3 is cheating - themselves! :P

resolution is the trade-off. you can get 800x600 HD-ready for -$1200. they all come with composite, s-video, and rgb connectors. the pb7100 comes with two rgb connectors (2 computers or 1 computer and 1 HD-source). most come with rgb pass-throughs so you can send the signal to a regular monitor as well. but I'm not sure about any rca/s-video pass-throughs.

what you really ought to do is split the signal before</i> sending it to the projector. you'll prolly do that anyway cuz with projectors, you send the audio in one direction and the video all the way up to the projector. so get an a/v receiver, split the video with that and while your at it, hook up your stereo and/or computer to the receiver as well. that's my next a/v move. but pinching pennis atm myself. :wink:

IMO, you should only care about higher resolutions if you will be using the projector for a lot of computer applications. But I would definitely get something HD-compatible.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby mw2merc on Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:39 pm

dinky wrote:but pinching pennis atm myself. :wink:

Um, I hope you meant pennies, not penis. :lol:
"I put the KILL, in SKILL!!!"
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby dinky on Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:47 pm