Let it be settled once and for all : Alien 3 or Alien 4 ?

The place to discuss Movies, Music, Games, Literature. All Sci-fi releated discussions. Whether it's about favourite movies, movie quotes, movie news etc. Please try and stay on topic (off-topic banter to above section).

Moderator: General Mods

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:54 am

I expect a movie to entertain me. I don't like to nit pick, but when someone else starts it ..... If we didn't enjoy them, we wouldn't be here.

hehe thats true i suppose but sometimes i do wonder :wacky:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby mw2merc on Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:05 am

maxpayne2409 wrote:hehe thats true i suppose but sometimes i do wonder :wacky:

Actually, from your posts, you wonder alot. :lol:

J/K, nudge, nudge.
"I put the KILL, in SKILL!!!"
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:12 am

lol nudge nudge wink wink, nods as good as a wink to a blind bat, know what i mean know what i mean, does she go? eh eh, does she go? i bet shes a real goer :lol:

*monty python mode disengaged*

incidently i was jsut wondering (yes again) what the exact purpose of this thread was in the first palce, as becuase people have different opinions it will never ever be settled as to which is better so who really cares anyway?, well besides O.G.N.A.N.O obviously, maybe he should switch to decaf so it doesnt bother him as much :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:08 am

mw2merc wrote:
dinky wrote:clearly we gonna have to agree to disagree. but imo, the movie is what it is when I see it, not how it gets manipulated to all Special Edition Hell. They're different movies at that point. sometimes better, other times worse - sure. but not the same movie. and, imo, should not be use 'in place of' what was the original release.

No prob. I can deal w/ that. But expect the unexpected. So at some point, we're going to agree on something. :twisted:

yeah. I like chicken. you?

and making sex to innocent mods.

and lamp posts.

that is all.

really.

or not...

mw2merc wrote:
dinky wrote:didn't say the changes in 'extended cuts' are wrong, just not</i> what stands behind the moniker.

OK. What do you mean?

well...the name of the thread was Alien 3 or Alien 4. now in my twisted little world where deadlines are deadlines and how you perform is the grade you get, the movie is the movie. there are exceptions. AoD had different original theatrical releases in N. America and Europe, respectively. but in this case, there's no such murky water. Alien 3 was the stinker where the black dude spud talked about just disappeared. in my world, you can't re-edit that on dvd and try to pretend THAT is what happened in A3. "nooo!" screams me. that's something else - better, from what I hear. I don't care if the director wanted it that way. fact of the matter is that it wasn't that way. fine. show us what it was 'supposed to be,' but don't call it Alien 3. Alien 3 is the movie that was released in theaters. not because</i> it was released in theaters, but because that's what the movie was called when it was released.

mw2merc wrote:stv? Yeah, I also think 'edits' should be referd to as such. That way people don't get the wrong idea that you're talking about the original theatrical version. DC, SE, EE, etc ...

so my million dollar question for you is...if something is edited, is it still the same movie?

mw2merc wrote:
dinky wrote:well...I was half-joking. but are you really suggesting that everything in my own post needs to be prefaced with "I think..."? OK, I think it's wrong to think it's wrong to vote on these movies without having seen the extended cut of 3. we good? :D

No, not everything, but you can't say someone's opinion is wrong. That's like me telling someone that liking the taste of something is wrong.

wrong.

BANNED! hehe

iunno. doesn't seem anymore 'wrong' to me than saying someone can't judge A3 because they didn't see a stv alternate editing of the movie. but then we've already established that I'm pig-headed about what gets to keep the original title. I won't touch Blade Runner cuz i didn't see the original - or don't remember it, and Highlander...well...I wasn't invested in making it 'fit' the mythology anyway - nor do I think the revised cut is any better aesthetically; it just fits the mythology of the franchise now.

mw2merc wrote:. 'What could have been' is a version to me, that's never been made. Like if they had done this or that which would've made it better or more accurate or something like that.

yeah. - we agree!</i> - but again, those things weren't in A3. they were in the stv extended movie. as far as A3 is concerned, they were never made. it doesn't matter that they were filmed. it's not like I'm trying to slam Fincher for the disappointing movie. from my point of view, it doesn't matter who envisioned what: what matters is the end result. I mean...does anyone here think Empire SE was Empire? Or that crap with Han walking with Jabba was SW? I hope not. I choose not.

/me puts on cartman cap

this movie has warped my fragile little mind.

mw2merc wrote:Even if I DIDN'T want the Quad, I'd rent it to see all the versions, even the ones I DIDN'T like, but at some point I'm going to. just not soon. :twisted:

yeah. I really should. it's not like I haven't rent 'n' ripped far worse. but they were all movies I hadn't seen before. (imma...judges, can I get a ruling? yep, that's another *agree* :wink: )

mw2merc wrote:So what about Alien?

never saw it. partly cuz I didn't really want to, but I got interested with spud's posts about it. but then when I'd go, it was only showing on one of 30 screens or I wasn't alone, and I was the only one interested. as you might've guessed, I'm not a fan of rereleases, even when they get good reviews (e.g., Alien, Apacalypse Now, Exorcist). don't think I even saw the SW SEs...maybe...don't remember. they were released on vid within a month or two. it's all meshing together.

mw2merc wrote:Of course we can. But does that mean we can't have a friendly arguement of them??? :mrgreen:

this ain't arguing. this is wtf else is there to BS about? :D

mw2merc wrote:
maxpayne2409 wrote:well said blade runner, i would also like to ask...does anybody actually just watch films for enjoyment anymore? or do u all have to watch them then spend the next 30years breaking down every little nitty gritty in every scene, ffs just enojy the movies thats what its all about

I expect a movie to entertain me. I don't like to nit pick, but when someone else starts it ..... If we didn't enjoy them, we wouldn't be here. :D

yes. I'm a huge fan of the Perverted Point of View series from Diabolic Video. pure enjoyment. no plot discussion involved. although I have been known to pause in SP mode or make use of the nifty zoom feature of these new-fangled dvds :twisted:

eesh, this is getting tough. I'm through editing & quoting for a month (hour!)
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby mw2merc on Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:42 am

dinky wrote:yeah. I like chicken. you?
and making sex to innocent mods.
and lamp posts.
that is all.
really.
or not...

Chicken? Yes. But kangaroo is much better. :twisted:
Sex w/ mods? Are those like sex slaves?
Not into lamps myself.

dinky wrote:well...the name of the thread was Alien 3 or Alien 4.
... the movie is the movie. Alien 3 was the stinker where the black dude spud talked about just disappeared. in my world, you can't re-edit that on dvd and try to pretend THAT is what happened in A3. "nooo!" screams me. that's something else - better, from what I hear. I don't care if the director wanted it that way. fact of the matter is that it wasn't that way. fine. show us what it was 'supposed to be,' but don't call it Alien 3.

That's why the DVD is Alien 3: Collector's Edition. Not just Alien 3.

dinky wrote:Alien 3 is the movie that was released in theaters. not because</i> it was released in theaters, but because that's what the movie was called when it was released.

Yeah, I don't disagree w/ you there, but I still think DC, SE, CE, EE, etc versions should be included.

dinky wrote:so my million dollar question for you is...if something is edited, is it still the same movie?

Yes and no. It's an 'edit'. I still don't know what stv is.

dinky wrote:iunno. doesn't seem anymore 'wrong' to me than saying someone can't judge A3 because they didn't see a stv alternate editing of the movie.

True. But no more wrong than saying a 'edit' version can't be included.

dinky wrote:but then we've already established that I'm pig-headed about what gets to keep the original title. I won't touch Blade Runner cuz i didn't see the original - or don't remember it, and Highlander...well...I wasn't invested in making it 'fit' the mythology anyway - nor do I think the revised cut is any better aesthetically; it just fits the mythology of the franchise now.

Does pig-headed mean opinionated? If so, I am too. :lol: I have only see 1 version of both BR & HL. But I wouldn't disreguard the 'edit' cuts.

dinky wrote:yeah. - we agree!</i> - but again, those things weren't in A3. they were in the stv extended movie. as far as A3 is concerned, they were never made. it doesn't matter that they were filmed. it's not like I'm trying to slam Fincher for the disappointing movie. from my point of view, it doesn't matter who envisioned what: what matters is the end result.

Not in the OTR version, yes. What is stv?

dinky wrote:I mean...does anyone here think Empire SE was Empire? Or that crap with Han walking with Jabba was SW? I hope not. I choose not.

Nope, but it doesn't mean the SE versions didn't have improvements over the originals. My favorites being the Millinium Falcon taking of from Mos Eisly in ANH, the extended landing sequence in ESB on Cloud City, and the WINDOWS in Cloud City where you can se outside.

dinky wrote:yeah. I really should. it's not like I haven't rent 'n' ripped far worse. but they were all movies I hadn't seen before. (imma...judges, can I get a ruling? yep, that's another *agree* :wink: )

Ha ha! :D

dinky wrote:never saw it. partly cuz I didn't really want to, but I got interested with spud's posts about it. but then when I'd go, it was only showing on one of 30 screens or I wasn't alone, and I was the only one interested. as you might've guessed, I'm not a fan of rereleases, even when they get good reviews (e.g., Alien, Apacalypse Now, Exorcist).

You mean never saw the Alien reedit? Me either. :mrgreen:

dinky wrote:don't think I even saw the SW SEs...maybe...don't remember. they were released on vid within a month or two. it's all meshing together.

I saw the SEs in the theater because I wanted to see the edits.

dinky wrote:although I have been known to pause in SP mode or make use of the nifty zoom feature of these new-fangled dvds :twisted:

eesh, this is getting tough. I'm through editing & quoting for a month (hour!)

Isn't pause & zoom great? gotta hate pausing videos. Nowhere near as clear as DVDs. That wasn't much editing. Shoulda seen how long it took me to do the original. LOL
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby dinky on Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:32 am

stv = straight to video

...there's gotta be an std joke in there somewhere.

:roll:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:39 pm

stv = straight to video

its as if u knew what i was about to ask :) and im guessing OTR means Original Theatrical Release
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:39 pm

sounds right to me.

I just got the new Entertainment Earth catalog yesterday, and it has these little bobble head Alien and Predator charcters. I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I saw the Alien. it looks like it's taking a dump in one of the Alien pods. :lol:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:59 pm

the best bobble head in the world of course involves mr t
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby mw2merc on Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:01 pm

dinky wrote:stv = straight to video
...there's gotta be an std joke in there somewhere.

Actually, VDs was changed to STDs, now it's been changed again to STIs. Sexually Trasmitted Infections.

maxpayne2409 wrote:and im guessing OTR means Original Theatrical Release

Bingo, you win a prize! Do you want the stuffed Kirby or Noosenecked Pikachu?

Re: EntEarth, the AvP Chess Set looks cool:
But $250? No thanks. :?

Not to mention the Todd McFarlane AvP line:
Unfortunately, TM has a problem of low articulation, so most his figures are very limited in movement.

He is realeasing a 12" Alien & 12" Predator. Those should be nice & articulated, let alone w/ goodies for $40 each.

Someone say Mr. T?

NOTE: Re aliens/bones: It only makes a little sense that they may have some bone structure, as the original alien face was designed by Giger from a human skull, as seen in this bust:
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby Blade Runner on Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:08 pm

Have you seen the Japanese version of the "Alien Quadrilogy"?!

Blade Runner
Modding the Machine

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:41 pm

lol those crazy japs eh :wacky:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:47 pm

now THAT I might shell out $70 for. :D
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby mw2merc on Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:25 pm

What's with DigitalBits NOT having a search function???
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:26 am

dinky wrote:now THAT I might shell out $70 for. :D

Costs $150 at least.

'Quadrilogy' is only ~£30 give or take. Well worth it, even if you do get Alien4.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby dinky on Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:57 pm

aight. check this out: I just started using xbox live, so I bring in some old games I never play. trade-in value: $73. sweet!

buy 2 used games or movies, get one free. sweet!

splinter cell: pandora tomorrow - $45
full spectrum warrior - $45
counterstrike - sorry, we don't have that used.
umm...ok. golf? no. unreal? no. mechwarrior? only worth $10. hmm.... might as well check out movies. what's an expensive used movie. there must be something for $20+...QUADTRILOGY! sweet!

I just paid $12 and traded in 10 shitty old ps2/gc/xbox games for two current games and the quadtrilogy. woohoo! :matrix: :matrix: :matrix:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:55 pm

bargain. But i'd trade in the xbox live and just download a series of pc games, then buy Brazil Criterion and some other must own DVDs :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Jynks on Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:07 pm

I havn't got time to write a explination...

Alien 3 - Good
Alien 4 - FUCKN BAD!!!
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:13 pm

hey jynks, you just levied the vote, now all we need are more rational people to vote :)

Personally in my own subject view, I'm very surprised to see Alien4 get so many votes, it is one my least favourite movies (as in I prefer some worse films over it too), and I don't rate it highly either.

Alien3 was okay, Alien3 extended is damn good :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:43 pm

u know what im glad everyone has an opinion, coz we would all be really really boring if everyone in the entire world liked the same thing, it would be like an entire world overrun by...by.... the labour party :o :-o
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

PreviousNext

Return to Sci-fi Fanatics Cabal