Chronicles of Riddick

The place to discuss Movies, Music, Games, Literature. All Sci-fi releated discussions. Whether it's about favourite movies, movie quotes, movie news etc. Please try and stay on topic (off-topic banter to above section).

Moderator: General Mods

Chronicles of Riddick

Postby dinky on Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:02 am

Well. I came. I saw. I conquered.

eh. I liked it. I won't pretend it was high art or had any of those matrixy "welcome to the real world" aspirations.

had some of the usual "doesn't quite add up" action. there was one sequence where the sun *literally* stood still (or the planet; I suppose it's all relative) for what seemed like 5 minutes of camera time but in the movie, couldn't have lasted more than 20 seconds - if the numbers added up.

they showed the AvP trailer (my first viewing on the big screen). that was kinda cool - I'm still annoyed that it takes place on earth.

*spoilers*
the whole movie reminded me a lot of Conan the Destroyer, but the last shot is TOTALLY Conan. Kind of the way that Soldier was a composite of some other movie that I'm forgetting but in a different setting. Conan in Space - with more attitude and a lead who speaks better English.

the names they come up with in these movies are so retarded: Necromongers? Furians? the "Necropolis"? wtf? Crematorium? at least I can respect New Mecca - and it makes sense without being so damn cheesey.

anyway, I had fun. shrek 2 was great, but I really didn't wanna see it a 4th time (there are 30 screens in my area, not including the indie theater, which has 7, and there have been like 6 different movies over the past 2 weeks - seems like an awfully dull summer).

more thoughts? :beerchug:
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:47 pm

not seen it but:
I'm still annoyed that it takes place on earth.

Another reason why Alien Resurrection sucks ass (and in the director's cut its even worse... they end up on earth :roll: ) ;) Alien and earth don't mix :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby bobbystills on Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:44 pm

@ dinky
whats the story behind damejundybenched?
elementals :?

havent seen it yet but i dont mind spoilers
bobbystills
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby dinky on Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:21 pm

bobbystills wrote:@ dinky
whats the story behind damejundybenched?
elementals :?

havent seen it yet but i dont mind spoilers

*spoilers abound below*

she doesn't fly; she "floats." you can't knife her cuz she can go incorporeal. it's ambiguous whether elementals are fortune tellers or just really good mathematicians - she says that she doesn't know the future and can only talk about probabilities. she's not with the necromogers at all. she's a captive. she tried to recruit riddick to face the necros (cuz, paradoxically, only a Furyan can topple them, and Riddick seems to be the only viable candidate); apparently, there's a whole planet of elementals and she wants the necromogers stopped before her planet gets "assimilated." she discovered where he was hiding out from the prophet-guy (David Keith or Keith David - always confuse them) who was on New Mecca. Riddick goes there to see him since he was the only one who knew where Riddick was hiding (after having beat down the bounty hunters that the prophet & elemental sent after him). umm...the head necromonger keeps her alive after capturing new mecca cuz he wants her to aide him until he kills riddick and squashes the prophecy. oh, and she's also the narrative voice at the beginning and end of the movie. that's all I can recall.

ps - movie is quite cheesey, but it ends well. I so love that last shot of riddick. and his last words. at least helen doesn't run away with paris while troy is burned to the ground.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Stinky on Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:15 am

Despite the heavy cheese quotient. I found the show quite enjoyable.

Conan in space? Yes (Especially with that final shot.)
Huge plot holes? Yes
Horrible names? Yes

But I found it to be a breath of fresh air. It never pretended to be anything that it wasn't.

The most refreshing aspect to me was, (despite the corny names) an original setting. I'm so tired of poorly re-hashing a P.K. Dick story or making yet another sequel instead of doing something new.

I noticed when I saw "Pitch Black" That the setting seemed to be Islamic/Arabic. I assumed the elementals were just an extension of this. Elementals=Djinn. There are air fire water earth and fire Djinn.

btw, I too saw the Alien Vs. Predator trailer... Although I too am unhappy about it being set on earth. The setting is a remote archeological site in antartica. And let's face it, no humans, no aliens. The trailer makes this clear that the human element is brought to the equation by the predators so that they can hunt Aliens.

Stinky
Stinky
Skutter

Postby bobbystills on Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:31 am

dinky wrote:ps - movie is quite cheesey, but it ends well. I so love that last shot of riddick. and his last words. at least helen doesn't run away with paris while troy is burned to the ground.

just checked it out!
glad i waited the VideoCD rel is great :D
i agree that its cheesy but its alot less chessy than van helsing or hellboy imho. errr it has about the same chedder flavor as underworld. i wish they would of explained a bit more about the underverse :? and if thandie newton would have shown more skin :evil:
but i kinda liked it ill probably watch it again this week.
bobbystills
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby mw2merc on Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:18 am

I saw the opening of this flick. Not bad. It looks like a film, that if you just go to see it as a PURE action movie, you'll be satisfied. Other than that and some cool visuals, it's not very good. When I finally see the whole thing, I'm not going in expecting anything more than an action flick, so if there is more, it'll be good.

Sucky thing is, this theater didn't get an AvP trailer. :cry:
"I put the KILL, in SKILL!!!"
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby dinky on Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:55 pm

dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Return to Sci-fi Fanatics Cabal