James Cameron Live Action "Battle Angel Alita"

The place to discuss Movies, Music, Games, Literature. All Sci-fi releated discussions. Whether it's about favourite movies, movie quotes, movie news etc. Please try and stay on topic (off-topic banter to above section).

Moderator: General Mods

James Cameron Live Action "Battle Angel Alita"

Postby Jynks on Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:42 pm

Anyone have any info on this? Or thoughts?
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby King_Baboobab on Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:03 am

depends how abridged it is. I thought the manga was excellent, but the anime was definately lacking. Don't have any definate info though, just rumours
King_Baboobab
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby Jynks on Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:57 am

James Cameron wrote:Can you describe the genesis of the project?
Cameron: A few years ago I started down this path of creating this 3D camera system and once I started working in that, I couldn't imagine myself going back and shooting with the camera that I used before. It just seemed like going back from a car to a bicycle, and I don't want to ride a bicycle again, so the question is, at what point can I use the kind of imaging that we're able to do now for a feature film? That's taken a few years to put together and the pacing item on that is digital cinema, the changeover to d-cinema, which is going to be happening throughout North America and eventually Europe and so-on, where they are literally going to replace every projector in North America in the next five or six years, however long it takes, because in order to display the stereo, the 3D, you need to have those digital projectors. I need those theaters, so I've sort of been waiting until the right moment to make a big movie and we believe that moment is now. So we're in pre-production now on a movie called Battle Angel, which is based on a Japanese Manga series of graphic novels by an artist named Yukito Kishiro. It's not in the sort of top ten of graphic novels in Japan; it's a lesser known one, and we're going to make Battle Angel over the next couple of years and release it in '07. By early summer of '07, we expect to have somewhere around a thousand digital 3D theaters that will be able to show an image that looks more or less like what you saw in the IMAX theater but the IMAX theater was film, and this is going to be digital projection.

This will be shown in multiplexes?:
Cameron: Multiplexes everywhere. All cities, all territories. And yeah, you'll wear glasses, obviously.

Which timeline do you intend to focus on?
Cameron: It's a bit of a mélange of the first three books, which means that it pulls forward the motorball story into the Ido, Alita, Hugo story, if you will.

Will it be live action?
Cameron: Live action and CG mixed, meaning we will build sets, we'll shoot with actors and we'll have CG characters. Alita will be CG; she'll be performed by an actress but what you see in the film will be CG.

Like Gollum?
Cameron: That's a very good example.

Do you have any casting choices?
Cameron: No. We have some stuff we're working on, but it's kind of premature to talk about it.

Marquee names or just unknowns?

Cameron: They won't be unknown. They'll be very recognizable names, but I don't see this as a star vehicle per se.

Is this the future of cinema?
Cameron: Uh, TBD. I don't know yet. It's the future of cinema for me, if I can make this work with these digital theaters. The next time we shoot, we're going to use the new generation of the camera system, which is the new Sony SR compression, so it's inherently got a little more dynamic range and a little better resolution, and we'll do the Lowry processing, or Lowry-type processing on top of it, so we think we're getting to a level where we're basically the equivalent of capturing two side-by-side 4K images, and that's like so much more information than you need. It really allows us for a theatrical feature, I could blow the image up double and still have more resolution than a 35mm film.

With all of your opportunities is filmmaking for yourself more than an audience?
Cameron: If I'm making a feature film like when I'm doing Battle Angel or some of the other projects I have planned for after Battle Angel, I know I'm making a film for an audience. I can't just please myself.

What is the basic plot of Battle Angel?
Cameron: 26th century, the story takes place 300 years after a societal collapse caused by a major war, but in that society, it's a technological dark age following a pinnacle of achievement far, far beyond where we are right now. So in a sense it's post-apocalyptic, but it's post-apocalyptic from a very high level. So now, you've got cyborg technology as just a way of life. People are augmented a lot as workers and so on, so being a cyborg is not unusual. The main character is a cyborg. She has an organic human brain, and she looks like she's about fourteen years old. She has a completely artificial body and she's lost her memory- she's found in this wreckage and she's reconstituted by this guy who is a cyber-surgeon who becomes her kind of surrogate father. It's a father-daughter relationship story that just has the most insane action that you can imagine. It will be PG-13 -- lots of blood, but it's all blue."

Hmmm..... so a mix of the first three mangas + a full CG main charicter (YAY!!) and we'll be wearing 3D glasses.... I told you all the return on the 3D cinima will come back.. the only way to make the cinima experience diffrent from just downloading the dvds!!
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:51 pm

sounds like a shit movie I recently saw called immortal</i> - cgi + live action. I'll expect more from cameron, however.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby El Mariachi on Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:29 pm

If he's putting "in 3D" in the title I will not watch it
"Spectacular stunt my friends, but all for not... turn around please, what a pity what a pity." - gay officer in Spaceballs
"It has zombies in it, how can you not give a crap?" - Spud
El Mariachi
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:17 pm

James Cameron hasn't done a decent film in a long, long, long time. Titanic, Dark Angel, etc. All were really awful.

Last watchable thing he did was Terminator 2, i suppose True Lies didn't suck as badly as his last decade has.

I'm not very confident at all with this project as it stands.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby dinky on Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:45 pm

oh c'mmon. true lies was good!

I don't count dark angel. he produced it and created it. but c'mmon: he directed exactly one episode. if he actually wanted to do something himself, it would have been a movie cuz any studio would have given him anything given his hollywood successes. witness this 3d thing. :P can't count made for tv tripe.

speaking of cameron's hollywood success, I sure am looking forward to aquaman</i>. 8)
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:30 am

I think you will find that many films will ALL become 3D. Spesh the high FX scifi and fantasy and hi action films. Hollywood is despratly searching for a way to bring people back into the cinima and away from there ever increasing in quality home entertainment systems. 3D films will be the next step.

CG replacing actors and 3D films... I do not htink it can be avoided...
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:42 am

Actually i read something about a "new technology" that lots of directors were having a go in, James Cameron, Geroge Lucas, Speilberg and some other douchebags were in a meeting about it and "one new console" is speculated to use it. Sounds too gimmicky and crappy for me to care though.

http://briandavidphillips.typepad.com/b ... otography/
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby Jynks on Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:54 pm

Scary isn't it : (

Still I'll be very interested in the Alita movie... as I LOVE the comic.. read the entire thing about once a year. For wat.. last 10 years+ now or somthing!!!
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Return to Sci-fi Fanatics Cabal