Resident Evil: Apocalypse (2004)

The place to discuss Movies, Music, Games, Literature. All Sci-fi releated discussions. Whether it's about favourite movies, movie quotes, movie news etc. Please try and stay on topic (off-topic banter to above section).

Moderator: General Mods

Postby El Mariachi on Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:50 pm

Anderson has problems in his head.

He writes tension for the first half hour. Both movies had excellent suspense and then pooooof, all is gone and you look at crap.
Same goes for Event Horizon

Resident Evil was the better one.
Resident Evil 2 was crap. It had lots of action, but so mindless and laughable. I couldn't care anymore who died and survived. None of the characters seem to care either.

I'm such a crappy reviewer :oops:
"Spectacular stunt my friends, but all for not... turn around please, what a pity what a pity." - gay officer in Spaceballs
"It has zombies in it, how can you not give a crap?" - Spud
El Mariachi
The Ninth Passenger

Postby Blade Runner on Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:11 pm

Resident Evil 3 Mulled

Resident Evil: Apocalypse director Paul W.S. Anderson told Now Playing Magazine that there's talk of doing a third movie based on the Capcom video-game series. "It's still just a concept at the moment," Anderson told the magazine. "The second movie did better business than the first movie did, so obviously there's talk of doing a third film."

Anderson added that he always envisioned doing a trilogy of Resident Evil movies. "I always had a vision for a trilogy of films, and the way I imagined it was that the first movie would be a prequel to the video games, the second movie would be set in the same timeframe as the video games, specifically Resident Evil: Nemesis, and then the third movie I always saw as kind of a sequel, or a postscript, to the video games, set slightly after the time of the video games. So it's something I would definitely like to do. But we're still kind of in negotiations. But there's definitely a will to make the movie, that's for sure."

Resident Evil: Apocalypse, starring Milla Jovovich, is due in a special two-disc special-edition DVD set on Dec. 28.

:o :o :o :o :o :o
Blade Runner
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:09 pm

Blade Runner wrote:Anderson added that he always envisioned doing a trilogy of Resident Evil movies. "I always had a vision for a trilogy of films,

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

/me ducks before spud sees this one. :twisted:
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:13 am

dinky wrote:
Blade Runner wrote:Anderson added that he always envisioned doing a trilogy of Resident Evil movies. "I always had a vision for a trilogy of films,

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

/me ducks before spud sees this one. :twisted:

lmao, now everyone knows what the Hitchhikers guide is on about :lol:

Does anyone feel the response "delusions of grandeur" is appropriate?
(also on a side not, did you notice that that phrase is uttered twice in the original star wars trilogy? Probably George Lucas' subconscious mind warning him about ewoks... your big, but your not big enough to get away with that! :lol: )
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby dinky on Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:54 am

finally saw it. gotta say: for all the bashing it takes in this crowd, I was expecting something more along the lines of Catwoman. It was hella better than Catwoman. :twisted:

Better than AvP too. Although I actually cared to see AvP. Anyway...there was a discernable plot. got to see milla in her birthday suit. not a whole lot to complain about. s'not like I paid $10 at the theater. :matrix:

edit: about the characters dropping like flies and not caring about them and all that...I actually found it fitting in this movie. I mean...it is a FPS turned into a frickin' movie. what did you expect?
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:29 pm

Better than AvP too

I have said that previously. It still utterly bites compared to the games, and compared to anything over 4/10 :lol:

edit: about the characters dropping like flies and not caring about them and all that...I actually found it fitting in this movie. I mean...it is a FPS turned into a frickin' movie. what did you expect?

oh dear, oh dear, Resident Evil newbie ahoy. Resident Evil is a third person adventure game (not shooter). The whole point of RE is that your trying not to be alone, you do care about the other characters, and well, Barry has a magnum and you have a beretta.... so you need someone to use excessive force on zombies while you reload.

Shooting and first person aren't apart of it (okay there were 2 spin offs - but no self respecting person would ever call them Resident Evil !!! ). The latest few iterations are a bit more gun orientated (take a look at the RE thread @ forum.dead-donkey.com ... been playing the RE4 game :) ), but this film missed every single aspect that made the games good.

...and games are supposed to be all dumb and stupid, yet in this case, this attempt of a film is even more laughable since the games are superior in even things such as storyline :o how the f*ck did that hap... oh yes... him again :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:27 am

spudthedestroyer wrote: games are supposed to be all dumb and stupid, yet in this case, this attempt of a film is even more laughable since the games are superior in even things such as storyline :o how the f*ck did that hap... oh yes... him again :lol:

:lol:

I thought mortal kombat was more ridiculous than the actual game. streetfighter was close. the mario bros. & double dragon movies were also extremely close. This was better than all of those. but I must say, this felt exactly like a video game. and that's what it essentially is.

anyway...I've been into the campaign mode of Halo 2, and is it just me, or is the campaign eerily reminiscint of the Final Fantasy movie - maybe a bit more engaging? :lol:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:23 pm

not a halo man myself tried it, nothing special, pc fpsing is beyond that, has been for quite a while I thought. As far as console games go, I think that makes it the one of the better ones out doesn't it ? :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:17 pm

it's an aesthetic. the graphics aren't as capable as the computer gaming stuff, and cutomization/cracking is virtually out the window,, but it looks good to me. and the mouse & keyboard aesthetic is something I'll never warm up to in a game that requires quick (and constant!) action.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:41 pm

u only really need, keys and a mouse. Perfection and accuracy. vs unresponsive, poorly designed and clunky.

Never got why anyone uses pads outside beat em ups and platformers. Then again, a quality company can make stunning controls on a pad, so it isn't the pads failing I suppose.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:39 pm

dual analog sticks. one for vision. one for movement. they can also be used as action buttons by depressing them (while using them in their more obvious moving capacity) - do this to duck/crawl in H2. d-pads are archaic, slow, and redundant for just about any</i> console game.

...except tetris. 8)
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:11 pm

lmao, one for treacling about, and one for blindly shooting in the general direction.

I am talking about dual analogues, pathetic control for FPS in comparison to a mouse and keyboard. A mouse is a requirement, using an analogue stick is totally crap, you can't accurately aim or control your character, let alone both at the same time, how can that even compare? It's really good if you want to move your character around, say Super Mario style, but for shooting, where you need to accurate point and click in essence, its just totally inaccurate.

Ever wondered why in online games, consoles are kept seperate? Because the PC boppins dominate them, flat out pulvarise them even if they are crap at the game. Pads just aren't cut out for fps, at all. Not unless you strip down the gameplay, and go for level design, in a goldeneye sense (albeit that isn't dual analogue, but the same sense of inaccuracy).

But if you enjoy shooting vaguely in the direction of people, and slowly and clumsly making your away around, then fight the power! ;)

d-pads are archaic, slow, and redundant for just about any console game.

No shit shurlock, but I'm talking about the lack of accuracy. You can not get accuracy from your thumb, its not physically possible, its against human anatomy. For accuracy, you need to use your entire hand for motion, else your brain just can't handle it and this is why the mouse, the old fogie of input devices, is still a overpoweringly superior gaming device for fps.

Play the same game on the pc and you'll see how much better it is. It amases me when people want to plug their pad into the pc, at the expense of control and ultimately gameplay...

lol @ dual analgue as if its any kind of substitute :lol: oh dear oh dear.

Oh and tetris.. bah.. that should only be controlled by steam powered hexadecimal.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:27 pm

oh and before you read that and thing... but... muuuuuuuuuuummmmm.....

I'm not saying keyboards are better than pads, I'm saying keyboards and mice are better than pads. The emphasis is on the mouse as the HID. The keyboard has the problem of note being game orientated by default, and hence the keys are positioned off place (although W, A, S, D are perfect, for strafing and movement).

I myself, have replaced the keyboard element with one of these:
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductP ... _Id=157024

Really comfortable, totally customisable, up to 3 levels :) Very handy for complex flight sims, battle games (been enjoying rome:total war), but it excels at FPS.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby mw2merc on Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:42 am

Ha ha ha ha ha! It's called Nostromo. I think Spud got it primarily for that reason. ;p
"I put the KILL, in SKILL!!!"
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby dinky on Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:31 am

heh. and it's sold out, apparently. looks left handed too.

:twisted:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby fileslasher on Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:38 pm

Just like to say that I'm a huge fan of the RE games. Can't wait to step into RE4. Not much of a fan of the movies. First one kinda sucked but RE2 was actualy worth seeing for milla(mmmmm) and nemesis.
Also, i'd like to add my 2 cents about fps's on consoles vs pc. I think there are exceptions for really good fps's with dual analogs and Halo is definately one of those. However, if u want pin point crosshair accuracy then look no further than keyboard and mouse.But remember, halo is also on the pc. Also another good example is the Gamecube's Metroid Prime series, very good controls for a console fps. Maybe even better than Halo....
fileslasher
the Angry Klingon

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:11 pm

Can't wait to step into RE4

Plays very nice after you get used to it.

Halo is definately one of those

No comment about how much that's simply not true. Average / sub-par FPS at best. It got the profile it did because there was nothing else special on the consoles at that time.

.But remember, halo is also on the pc

That's even worse :o

metroid prime

I read the previews but I'm skeptical at best. Being better than halo I have no doubt though, since it merely has to be half decent to do that imo.

There's only ever been one really good FPS on a console, and that was Goldeneye back on the N64... that really was a smart game, but that was all down to innovation and level design, as well as a solid game engine of course.

People are too quick to rave about any bit of tat these days, Halo being a prime example.

That would have been so much better if they'd have 'stuck to their guns' (:wacky:) and made it for the pc and ported. Unfortunately, it suffered from the Dues Ex 2 effect. :cry:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:12 pm

dinky wrote:heh. and it's sold out, apparently. looks left handed too.

Well you use the mouse in your right, so unless you have another hand, that's good...

unless your left handed, in that case 'ha ha'
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby fileslasher on Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:41 pm

i have halo on both xbox and pc and the pc port is amazing. Much better graphics, online multiplayer with mods and oh ya mouse and keyboard heh.
I'd like to get Half Life 2 sum day, its gettin sum pretty awsome reviews.

Ya Goldeneye was a fantastic game that has never really been dethroned. Perfect Dark came close though.
fileslasher
the Angry Klingon

Postby dinky on Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:27 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:
dinky wrote:heh. and it's sold out, apparently. looks left handed too.

Well you use the mouse in your right, so unless you have another hand, that's good...

unless your left handed, in that case 'ha ha'

:?

yeah, until I saw it in the store, I thought it was</i> the mouse.

anyway, I can write and mouse righthanded. just don't like to.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Previous

Return to Sci-fi Fanatics Cabal