The Future of Sci-Fi

The place to discuss Movies, Music, Games, Literature. All Sci-fi releated discussions. Whether it's about favourite movies, movie quotes, movie news etc. Please try and stay on topic (off-topic banter to above section).

Moderator: General Mods

Postby dinky on Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:39 pm

yeah. Lucas does represent everything that's wrong</i> with cgi. and throw in the devlin/emmerich bed buddies, then michael bay, and your favorite Mr. Anderson, and I think we'll go a long way to cleansing the world of cgi overload.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby hagbard on Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:26 pm

Well. I don´t know. I guess, it is true, that SciFi has become more popular - and of course, Hollywood is jumping on any train, that is promising big money.

However, I am not sure, if that will change so much at all. I think, we can still expect a good number of watchable / entertaining movies. And the really BIG ones - those, that come up with a really new concept / idea - have always been rare.

For example: I have read some high praises for "Equilibrium" here in the forum, and I actually cannot agree with that. When I watched it, I felt, that somebody had mixed up "1984" and "Fahrenheit 451", spiced with some Matrix-style special effects and action scenes. So, after all: Watchable and entertaining, yes - but nothing new at all.

For me, the last really BIG and new thing in SciFi was Cyberpunk. Beginning with the books of William Gibson and having a break-through in the movie-world with "Matrix".

Now. Watching cyberpunk movies in 2004 still is entertaining (I actually love that stuff), but it is nothing new anymore, is it ?

As I said: The realle BIG and NEW thing is happening rarely. Guess, that lies just in it´s very nature. And I find it impossible to predict, what could be next - and when it will happen ...
hagbard
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby dinky on Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:07 am

hagbard wrote:For example: I have read some high praises for "Equilibrium" here in the forum, and I actually cannot agree with that. When I watched it, I felt, that somebody had mixed up "1984" and "Fahrenheit 451", spiced with some Matrix-style special effects and action scenes. So, after all: Watchable and entertaining, yes - but nothing new at all.

Brave New World was published in 1932. 1984 was published in 1949. Anthem was published in 1938. I only mention it because while I do enjoy Bradbury's book, it was so pathetically derrivitive that I thought I was reading The Giver (young adult version of brave new world).
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby John_Doe on Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:45 am

For me, the last really BIG and new thing in SciFi was Cyberpunk. Beginning with the books of William Gibson and having a break-through in the movie-world with "Matrix".

Matrix=Cyberpunk??? Wtf?

Did anyone play the game Bloodnet btw? Now THAT was awesome cyberpunk.

Hell: A Cyberpunk Thriller, was also kinda cool as far as I can remember.

Beneath a Steel Sky was also cool.

And wasn't there a game called only 'Cyberpunk' ???
Ahh.. no offence, but you are a robot, aren't you?
John_Doe
The Ninth Passenger

Postby Blade Runner on Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:47 am

John_Doe wrote:
Matrix=Cyberpunk??? Wtf?

Agreed, what is cyberpunk about that movie ?
Blade Runner
Modding the Machine

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:31 am

Yes john i played beneath a stel sky and blood net (B.A.S.S is one of my fave games of all time) and yes there was a game called cyberpunks where you took control of 3 little cyberpunk guys in red blue and green and were on a spaceship shooting things
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby hagbard on Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:43 pm

Blade Runner wrote:
John_Doe wrote:
Matrix=Cyberpunk??? Wtf?

Agreed, what is cyberpunk about that movie ?

Well. I almost expected that. These genre definitions are always open for discussion. No need, that we all agree on that one. Maybe you are right and Matrix is not a true cyberpunk movie, but it certainly has cyberpunk elements. The man-machine-interface for example, and of course the Matrix itself. One of the most interesting interpretations of VR so far. Well, my point of view. As said before: We don´t need to agree on that …
hagbard
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby O.G.N.A.N.O. on Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:19 am

Well leave it to me to throw in controversy....

I think Sci-Fi is a contemporary genre....

I doubt people a 100 years down the line still have the same romantic picture of the future as we do....

In any case , they'll have been completely saturated with light shows....
CLICK HERE for a instant IQ test...
O.G.N.A.N.O.
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby d0c on Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:33 am

bloodnet? -> http://www.dantoine.com/juegos/index.php?ficha=1416 there are a couple of games with the same name out there...
d0c
The Ninth Passenger

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:58 pm

i cant read whatever language that page is in d0c but the bloodnet i played was on the amiga if that helps, incidently O.G.N.A.N.O. ill be sure to leave my thoughts in 100 years when i re-awaken from cryogenic freezing in the future
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby Blade Runner on Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:15 pm

lets hope you're still not a Pizza delivery boy :wink:
Blade Runner
Modding the Machine

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:45 pm

lol thats argos delivery porter to you :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby John_Doe on Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:48 am

yeah, that's the game doc.

ed2k: BloodNet.ShareReactor.bin  [380.20 Mb] [Stats]
ed2k: BloodNet.ShareReactor.cue  [87 Bytes] [Stats]

But it's probably availible at several abandonwarez sites as well...

[ Add all 2 links to your ed2k client ]
John_Doe
The Ninth Passenger

Postby John_Doe on Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:22 am

spudthedestroyer wrote:It may sound odd, but I think technical limitations are often a very, very good thing for directors.

Sooo.... Watched 'The Five Obstructions' yet Spud? I'd think that was your moistest dream come celluloid. It was for me anyway.
John_Doe
The Ninth Passenger

Postby hagbard on Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:27 am

John_Doe wrote:Sooo.... Watched 'The Five Obstructions' yet Spud? I'd think that was your moistest dream come celluloid. It was for me anyway.

Lars von Trier rocks. Where do we get this piece ?
hagbard
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby John_Doe on Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:26 pm

FH.

It's on my top 10 list.
John_Doe
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:25 pm

John_Doe wrote:
spudthedestroyer wrote:It may sound odd, but I think technical limitations are often a very, very good thing for directors.

Sooo.... Watched 'The Five Obstructions' yet Spud? I'd think that was your moistest dream come celluloid. It was for me anyway.

Nope, but that's the second lars I've got to watch

btw john, fh.org is restricted registration so its better to copy and paste. Infact its always a goiod idea to get past relying on other sites (ie. deletion, removal, downtime, etc.) ;)

[quote="scylla"]Jørgen Leth / Lars von Trier - De Fem benspænd (2003)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0354575/
[quote]Danish auteur Lars von Trier directs the documentary-of-sorts The Five Obstructions (De Fem Benspænd). In 2001, von Trier convinces veteran filmmaker Jørgen Leth to create five remakes of his 1967 short The Perfect Human. Calling himself the Obstructor, von Trier orders Leth to make his films in various parts of the world with extremely specific demands. For instance, the first film must be shot in Cuba with no set with only 12 frames per shot. The five remakes-within-the-film are "The Perfect Human: Bombay," "The Perfect Human: Brussels," "The Perfect Human: Cartoon," "The Perfect Human: Cuba," and "The Perfect Human: Avedøre, Denmark." Each has its own set of ridiculous limitations created by von Trier. The Five Obstructions was shown at the Sundance Film Festival as part of a special screening. �?
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby John_Doe on Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:09 pm

ok.. will do next time. But let us know what you thought about it... =)
John_Doe
The Ninth Passenger

Previous

Return to Sci-fi Fanatics Cabal