Scifi Movie you would most like to see made?

The place to discuss Movies, Music, Games, Literature. All Sci-fi releated discussions. Whether it's about favourite movies, movie quotes, movie news etc. Please try and stay on topic (off-topic banter to above section).

Moderator: General Mods

Scifi Movie you would most like to see made?

Postby Jynks on Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:15 pm

I have 2 science fiction films I think would wet my self over and not in the warm tingily way but in the sticky out of breath way.

War of the Worlds (Proper version set in the correct timeperiod)

Science Fiction Action / Horror version of Warhammer 40K

Any books or movies you think should be done in mondern "we can do anythign we dream of" special effect area?
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby Bassline on Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:20 pm

ahhh war of the worlds is just a great movie and the soundtrack!!! superb :D ...would be good to see that given a make over effects wise but definately kept in the time period it was originally....now did i hear the word remake mentioned about this movie some time ago or am i tripping?
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Bassline
Modding the Machine

Postby Jynks on Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:26 pm

not that I know of.
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby Bassline on Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:29 pm

tada da daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1171975,00.html

i've tripped before but not this time :lol:
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Bassline
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:40 pm

Bassline wrote:ahhh war of the worlds is just a great movie and the soundtrack!!! superb :D ...would be good to see that given a make over effects wise but definately kept in the time period it was originally....now did i hear the word remake mentioned about this movie some time ago or am i tripping?

okay "period it was originally set in" would be england, in Wells' day, but I'm forgiving of the move to a more recent time, I take it your meaning original as in movie and not book. I enjoyed the film very much, its a real classic...

However, I would like it to be unf*cked up the ass storyline wise. How can they take a cynical, anti-human, anti-religious book and turn it into a patriotic, pro-american and religious sci-fi.... it beggers all belief...

and they held hands... and prayed to jesus and america, and the aliens... err well they just died... the end.

To quote my rolemodel.... "worst... ending...ever".

Wells' book is a masterpiece, everything that was great about it was annhilated by the movie. It's dumb as pig shit, but I still enjoy the movie, I just feel its suffered as much as it gained. It's a great classic, I'm not knocking the beautiful imagery and it has a lot of positive aspects, but man did they f*ck up such a great story. HG Wells would be livid... totally livid.

I'm with Jynks on this one, proper version would be far superior, but timeline and location aren't too important for me.

oh and yes, they are planning on remaking, its been listed in Development Hell section of Empire Film Magazine and Sci-fi... but its like an idea being thrown round rather than a commitment :) It became noteworthy because cruise and speilberg voiced interests at seperate times... checkout the boards @ imdb for some gibberings:
http://imdb.com/title/tt0046534
and this variety article back in the day:
http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout ... 01831&cs=1
(March 16th 2004)

BTW, has anyone seen this:
http://imdb.com/title/tt0094578/
?

As for warhammer, can't comment :)

*moved to cabal*
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby Bassline on Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:45 pm

ermm i've not read the book.... :oops: we never had books in my day :P

and yes i did watch some of that tv show late at night on ITV while i was working nights (we had tv at work 8) ) it wasn't that bad as far as i remember. not as good as V though! :D
Bassline
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:58 pm

i remember V from when I was little that was cool, although i was confused why their heads were bigger than their masks? :lol: :wacky:

As for the book, trust me on the fact that it is superb, hence its remake and ripoff ratio :lol: Its very deep and very critical and that was what was skimmed out of the american movie which makes it even harder to swallow. It is almost undigestibly egotistical, right wing religious junk at times on a story front, which is why you meet the odd person that despises it... can be very offensive I guess.

BTW, you see the simpsons episode where the comet is heading towards springfield?

Homer: "It's times like these I wish I was a religious man."
*Rev. Lovejoy running down the street in hysterics*
Lovejoy: "It's all over, people! We don't have a prayer"

Very Wellsesque, I believe that's where that little ditty may have been lifted from infact :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Bassline on Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:03 pm

:lol: don't think i've seen that one but sounds hysterical as most simpsons episodes are :D

V was superb and is one of my favourites i have the dvd's off the mini series and final battle just wish they would release the series they made after 8)
i rememeber watching Independance Day when that first came out thinking "WTF they ripped off V" :matrix:
Bassline
Modding the Machine

Postby Jynks on Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:17 am

The book is amazing.. HG Wells is amazing.. I lernt to read on "The Time Machien" and 20,000 Leagues under the sea.
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby Gorehound on Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:58 am

haven´t read anything from wells but loved the "time machine" film from 1960 since
my childhood.
20.000 leagues under the sea is from Jules Verne, Jynks. great book/story indeed!

i would like to see a decent filming of Douglas Adams ´Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy´.
think this has to be my most loved sci-fi book(s) ever.
I´m doing my part!
Gorehound
42?

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:48 pm

i believe theyre making a hhgttg movie at the moment, personally id like to see a remake of Time Trax, or a Time Trax movie, you know why?? coz time trax rocks lol, also i read theyre trying to make a tripods movie WOOOOOHOOOOO :D
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby TaKYoNtheKoRRuPTeD on Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:29 pm

A remake of WOTW true to the book would be awesome. I could forgive a little modification if it made the story better, but that travesty the yanks made was an insult to the book. Don't get me wrong the film itself is awesome, but not a patch on the book, that fuckin rocks, one of my all time faves.
Image British and proud of it.
TaKYoNtheKoRRuPTeD
Skutter

Postby O.G.N.A.N.O. on Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:55 pm

I for one am still waiting for a flick that shows the REAL POSSIBLE ugly sides of Nano technology......(that's Grey Goo for laymen)

The latest novel PREY of whatshisname Crichton still doesn't explore all the POSSIBLE horrors.....

There are already assholes on this planet that pioneer so called Swarm programming....

Further more I'd like to see a flick that has the guts to fight current definitions.....especially sentience......Is there such a thing as a sub-sentience hiding in the "blind spot" of sentience's "vision", that's playing us like puppets , like tools , instruments to reproduce itself, from the mind into the material world ? Litterally trying to get into this world ?

:?

did I just wrote that ? :wacky:

never mind....for now I'll settle for a proper nanotech flick :beerchug:
O.G.N.A.N.O.
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:15 pm

lol go lie down mate :wacky: , i also wanna see a movie based on 1960s tv classic the time tunnel by irwin allen
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby Purple.Nightmare on Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:31 pm

been trying 2 think bout this one but most of the scifi i read in the last few years wouldnt really transfer well to film. Snowcrash is one of my faves recently (tho is it really scifi?) and would b difficult 2 put accross on the big screen. anything by iain bainks or william gibson would b cool if done proper but doubt will neva be
In Space No One Can Hear You Scream
Purple.Nightmare
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:07 pm

I'd actually like to see another Starship Troopers, was a great action flick and was so Robo-copesque-ultra-violence-propaganda-happy-days that its gains by being so hollywood (which is normally screws up everything).

There's a starship troopers pc game out this year worth watching out for:

They are doing right this time, a FPS :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:29 pm

this time? didnt know tehre was a first st game lol

check here spud

Starship troopers 1 & 2 dvd box set

Starship Troopers 2 DVD

both due for release 10/05/04 (10th may 2004)
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:05 pm

HOLY SHIT!!!

They made another one?????
Damn, but that means it means ultra-low budget, and no-Verhoeven if i aint heard of it. Then again, Mimic 3 I never heard of and that was better than the first one that got a bit of attention on its release (okay not on the scale of Starship or anything)

I did not know that, its definitely a download, and if its good... that DVD box set is mine :)

Thanks for letting me in on the loop :mrgreen:

edit: its got a button banner too at play.com .. impressive... most impressive :)
Last edited by spudthedestroyer on Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby mw2merc on Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:06 pm

Continuing the Hijack to Starship Troopers ...

The original PC game (aka ST Terran Ascendancy) by Blue Tongue & MicroProse is a great squad based RT Stratagy. The addition of personal armor was awesome. Gotta love being able to command 3 squads w/ up to 6 members each.

Starship Troopers 2 - Hero of the Federation [R1 DVD] (2004, June 04)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ance&s=dvd

I saw the German Screener, not bad. Fairly Cheesy. :mrgreen:

Now I must say I was very impressed w/ the CG cartoon Roughnecks: The Starship Troopers Chronicles. My favorite part was the Exoskelal war machines they had. Only 2 that I remember. But they did have other vehicles other than what was in the movie. Each season is available on DVD except 'Trackers' which isn't released yet.
http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/Sh ... owid-7750/
Last edited by mw2merc on Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:37 pm, edited 8 times in total.
"I put the KILL, in SKILL!!!"
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby TaKYoNtheKoRRuPTeD on Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:23 pm

Troopers 2 will be a watcher, not sure if it will be a keeper tho.
Image British and proud of it.
TaKYoNtheKoRRuPTeD
Skutter

Next

Return to Sci-fi Fanatics Cabal