The Ring Of The Nibelungs (2004)

Verified - Quality retail DVDRips. Xvid or DivX. If its non-retail, poorly mastered or if the rip is low-q, please post in low-q section. Lower quality DVD-rips may be moved to ensure high quality in this section. No VCDs or unverified releases in this section please.

Moderator: Movie Mods

The Ring Of The Nibelungs (2004)

Postby mxyzptlk on Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:06 pm

Based on the Germanic myth "Das Nibelungenlied" and the Nordic "Volsunga Saga" which also inspired the four-opera cycle by Richard Wagner and J.R.R. Tolkien's epic ";The Lord of the Rings", this is the story of the young blacksmith Siegfried, who, not knowing that he is heir to a conquered kingdom, becomes popular with the Burgunds by slaying their bane, the dragon Fafnir. When the reward seems to be a huge treasure, Siegfried ignores the curse that lies on the hoard - which now seems to endanger his love to beautiful Norse warrior queen Brunhild.

Runtime......: 177 min
Video Codec..: XviD
Video Bitrate: 955 kb/s
Audio Codec..: 0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-1 Layer 3
Audio Bitrate: 118 kb/s (59/ch, stereo) VBR LAME3.92
Frame Size...: 592x320 (1.85:1) [=37:20]

ed2k: The.Ring.Of.The.Nibelungs.CD1.2004.DVDRiP.XViD-FiCO.avi  [696.79 Mb] [Stats]
ed2k: The.Ring.Of.The.Nibelungs.CD2.2004.DVDRiP.XViD-FiCO.avi  [696.92 Mb] [Stats]

ok,it's not really scifi but fantasy also belongs on the board :wink:

the cover is in german,but the movie is plain english

note:Tolkien used this greman legend as a base for the hobbit & his LOTR triology

enjoy :beerchug:

[ Add all 2 links to your ed2k client ]
Last edited by mxyzptlk on Mon May 01, 2006 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kill feed repeat
mxyzptlk
The Ninth Passenger

Postby TeKHeD on Mon May 01, 2006 11:14 am

Highly recommended - great film :)
TeKHeD
42?

Postby mxyzptlk on Mon May 01, 2006 1:12 pm

yep,it is

kill feed repeat
mxyzptlk
The Ninth Passenger

Postby Jynks on Mon May 01, 2006 1:46 pm

Tolkien used this greman legent as a base for the hobbit & his LOTR triology

Scoff
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby El Mariachi on Mon May 01, 2006 2:25 pm

TeKHeD wrote:Highly recommended - great film :)

I thought it sucked, but that would be me then :D

Highlight is the dragon :)
"Spectacular stunt my friends, but all for not... turn around please, what a pity what a pity." - gay officer in Spaceballs
"It has zombies in it, how can you not give a crap?" - Spud
El Mariachi
The Ninth Passenger

Postby mxyzptlk on Mon May 01, 2006 4:03 pm

hey,it's not like it's fantasy-written-to-show-off-special-effects
this story/legend is ages old after all :wink:

kill feed repeat
mxyzptlk
The Ninth Passenger

Postby samikula on Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:01 pm

when i try to play these files in winamp or media player, the player crashes. can anyone offer help?
samikula
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby mxyzptlk on Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:10 pm

you prolly don't have the right codecs

try opening it with vlc,then you'll know for sure(it has all the right codecs onboard)

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

or get your codecs here(if you don't know anything bout them,just go for k-lite or something)

http://www.free-codecs.com/index.htm

kill feed repeat
mxyzptlk
The Ninth Passenger

Postby samikula on Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:44 pm

i already have the xvid and divx codecs, not sure what the problem is with winamp and media player.... it plays on vlc though. thanks mxyzptlk :D
samikula
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby mxyzptlk on Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:48 pm

it's prolly a codec issue then

run it trough GSpot,it will say what codec is needed to play the file,& whether or not you have it installed

kill feed repeat
mxyzptlk
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:17 pm

Jynks wrote:
Tolkien used this greman legent as a base for the hobbit & his LOTR triology

Scoff

Indeed, I really doubt that. Who sold you this?
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby mxyzptlk on Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:21 pm

it's true,have you seen this movie spud?or fritz lang's version for that matter

this story is ages old & it's quite similar to the events in LOTR (the hobbit included) & way older

kill feed repeat
mxyzptlk
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:24 am

I guess i didn't articulate what i was meaning, you are aware that this was part of nazi ideology and was a pro-national piece? and that tolkein's lord of the rings is an anti-nazi, pro-democracy piece? You can't have the base being complete opposties if its based upon something.

Whilst there's a lot of common ground he clearly lifted (shinnanigans!), since its all from established myth, legend and folk lore in all parts, Lord is more yang than being based upon imo. Its a counter point to nazi ideology.

Similarly, Wagner's Ring Cycle is really an anti-Lord, if you watch them they do more damage than good for Tolkeins cause (or maybe i'm not an opera man :lol: )

Tolkein almost certainly lifted all the famous elements from a number of sources, and this one is for certain. However, i don't think you can say its based upon it since they promote opposite ideologies. Influenced perhaps instead of based upon?

I've not seen this particular version, so you have my thanks for posting it.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby mxyzptlk on Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:01 am

ok,maybe I used the wrong words

stole the famous elements would've been better :wink:

and since the nibelungen was written in 1846(could be a few years off here,school has been ages) you can hardly call it pro-nazi.maybe it was used as pro-nazi 100 years later ,mainly coz hitler was a great fan of wagner,but that is a different question

it would be the same as saying that the republicans of the same sort as the islam when it comes to terror (which they are from a certain point of view)

:mrgreen:

kill feed repeat
mxyzptlk
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:10 pm

I didn't say it was pro-nazi on purpose, check out the wording:
was part of nazi ideology and was a pro-national piece?

The pro-national movement is exactly what it is. I guess though this can be claimed of tolkein's by some, but I'm not quite sure it is. The original legend expresses what the nazis believed, the Wagner operas even more so, they were just the cumulation of this kind of thinking; they'd been building on racist tendancies for a long time.

Lord of the Rings is very much the opposite in a lot of sense although there's clear racism, there's more of a democratic and acceptance of differences motif going on rather than look at the master race, slayer of all enemies.

With this production though, being post-ww2, I wonder if they've toned that down? Looking forward to seeing how they handle it because of this.

If you got the Lang movies (I've only seen one, i think there's two?), please feel free to post them as well as any other kind of fantasy movie, consider this a scifi and fantasy board. :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby mxyzptlk on Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:57 pm

sure,I got em both,of course they're in german & there's only french & spanish subs.I suppose this isn't a prob for ya?

kill feed repeat
mxyzptlk
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:21 pm

Well with native movies you can post and hope english subs turn up, i don't have a big problem with that. You can post any native classics that fit the site, just make sure you mark the language so us foreigners know :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby mxyzptlk on Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:50 pm

ok m8;I'll post it tomorrow (can't take snapshots now since the wife is watching something atm :wink: )

besides,the 'german' part isn't that big,since it's an impressionistic film :mrgreen:

kill feed repeat
mxyzptlk
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:36 am

Finally got round to watching this rip. Thank you for bringing it here, i enjoyed it.

I was expecting it to be in German, but its in english with about 5 lines of german subtitles which you can tell what they are saying anyway for those five lines. So that's all well and good for us foreigners.

As for a little description of the movie, this isn't really what i remember of Das Nibelungenlied at all its more contained and based around the one character, and there's a heck of a lot to the original story i remember that just wasn't in this production, remembering from way back when. Casting the comparisons aside with lord of the rings, which are very lax indeed here but you can see maybe a little small plot trait of so, and a characterisation from gothic/saxon lore common... this particular production has way more of the common traits with Achilles in Homer's Illiad and Shakespeare's Hamlet emphasised quite heavily, mix the two together and that's pretty much what you get in this production, with the ring bit stringing it all together over the two TV movie episodes. So its a bit unfair to mention/compare Lord of the Rings given that's all about the powers of darkness and epic battles and this isn't about that stuff, so i'll stop (just carrying on from that little bit of banter above). I just remember the legend being a lot difference so i'm guessing what i read was some cryptic version of the tale.

Anyway, there's a few accents that need to settle with you when your watching but you can easily forget them, and similarly, you can see the tv budget from the offset, but you soon forget about those little setbacks since it actually works rather well.

I'm going to go back and watch Fitz Lang since i remember that being way better, that's not a slur on that or on this production its just how i remember it

I enjoyed it as far as tv movies go, well worth a shot.

ps. yup, on the nationalistic front its all gone, there's a few passing references to foreigners as "saxons" but they seemed to play down any jinguistic connotations as you'd expect
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby hagbard on Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:41 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:If you got the Lang movies (I've only seen one, i think there's two?), please feel free to post them as well as any other kind of fantasy movie, consider this a scifi and fantasy board. :)

Found @ eselkult.tk (so it should be considered verified, if not by me):

Fritz Lang: Die Nibelungen (1924)

IMDB: Die Nibelungen 1: Siegfrieds Tod

ed2k: Die.Nibelungen.-.1.-.Siegfrieds.Tod.(Fritz.Lang.1924.-.1v2).by.mario.avi  [696.71 Mb] [Stats]
ed2k: Die.Nibelungen.-.1.-.Siegfrieds.Tod.(Fritz.Lang.1924.-.2v2).by.mario.avi  [693.90 Mb] [Stats]

IMDB: Die Nibelungen 2: Kriemhilds Rache

ed2k: Die.Nibelungen.-.2.-.Kriemhilds.Rache.(Fritz.Lang.1924.-.1v2).by.mario.avi  [694.51 Mb] [Stats]
ed2k: Die.Nibelungen.-.2.-.Kriemhilds.Rache.(Fritz.Lang.1924.-.2v2).by.mario.avi  [692.85 Mb] [Stats]

And another version from 1966, also found @ eselkult, German audio & no subs, as far as I can tell:

Die Nibelungen (1966)

IMDB: Die Nibelungen 1: Siegfried von Xanten

Specs according to eselkult:
640x272, XviD - 1054 kb/s
mp3 - 93 kb/s (46/ch, stereo) VBR LAME3.90

ed2k: Die.Nibelungen.(1966).-.1.-.Siegfrieds.von.Xanten-eselkult.de.avi  [703.29 Mb] [Stats]

IMDB: Die Nibelungen 2: Kriemhilds Rache

Specs according to eselkult:
640x272, XviD - 1035 kb/s
mp3 - 93 kb/s (46/ch, stereo) VBR LAME3.90

ed2k: Die.Nibelungen.(1966).-.2.-.Kriemhilds.Rache-eselkult.de.avi  [703.36 Mb] [Stats]

I´m posting this here instead of opening a new thread, because I can´t verify these versions myself, can´t provide screenshots, etc. If you want, split it from here & move it to the unverified section.

:)

[ Add all 6 links to your ed2k client ]
hagbard
Owns a Genesis Device

Next

Return to High Quality Section