Resident Evil (2002)

Verified - Quality retail DVDRips. Xvid or DivX. If its non-retail, poorly mastered or if the rip is low-q, please post in low-q section. Lower quality DVD-rips may be moved to ensure high quality in this section. No VCDs or unverified releases in this section please.

Moderator: Movie Mods

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat May 29, 2004 6:59 pm

was referring to the movie of course, they are walking through the big room with all the cannisters, and then it zooms close and you can see part of, what I think is a tyrant. Problem is, the thing that burst out of a cannister later on is a hunter, but imo it looks different to the thing we saw earlier :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat May 29, 2004 7:01 pm

i dont remember any hunters in the first movie, unless ur referring to the big licker that goes bang bang BANG out of the cage in that section where they first meet the zombies?
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat May 29, 2004 7:05 pm

licker even.. nm, i'll just watch the film myself. I would have thought u had it memorised, being a RE freak and all :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat May 29, 2004 7:42 pm

lol the film pails in comparison to teh gameage excellance lol, but yeah its a licker see i did have it memorised :P as i had to correct ur hunterageing into lickage......... that doesnt sound strange does it :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat May 29, 2004 8:06 pm

aint Hunters called frogmen or something gay in the very first game? I dunno. However, I do think it was a tyrant in the cage... you can clearly see what I thought was a heart on its shoulder, which of course is trademark tyrant. lol, I forgot, I have this on DVD :mrgreen:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat May 29, 2004 8:36 pm

lol i dont have it on dvd yet, although yes the heart on the outside of the shoulder is telltale sign of a tyrant (run and check oyur headteachers shoulder now kiddies) :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby d0c on Sun May 30, 2004 2:08 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:
maxpayne2409 wrote:probably not hehe but thats coz its called resident evil and to me that is horror, i guess this is like spuds insistence that alien is horror when clearly its scifi hehe,

Hehe, the number of times we've discussed this and you still get my point wrong. No its nothing of the sort, infact, it takes your point of view not mine. My inisistance that alien is primarily a horror film is by its content, tone, atmosphere, script and the fact it is a horror film in every sense of the word, and that the insistance that its classed as a scifi merely because its set in space seems incredibly "disrespectful"/wrong [use of word is merely at pointing out that it misses the intention, not that its anything terrible] given everything that alien stood for and was about.

The determination of scifi for this, I would assume, comes from the fact it all revolves around an underground science facility that is creating bilogical agents that kill and reanimate the dead, creating genetic super soldiers. Which of course, does sound like a sci-fi (frankenstein on acid, another scifi, but quite clearly mainly a horror) and is in fact part of the genre, you can describe this as a sci-fi film... if you override the primary genre of the movie and take it as a scifi just because its set in a lab and involves a virus (sounds incredibly like the alien is a scifi because it has an alien in it and its set in space does it not). So infact, no its the complete opposite of my argument, it is infact more like your insistance that Alien isn't horror due to the scifi setting. ;) My arguement for alien is that its a horror because thats what it primarily is 'about'. I also say RE is a horror because that, to a lesser success, is what its 'about' (although I do question the success of its 'horror'). Both too can be described as sci-fi and clearly are, but imo, only as a subgenre.

As you obviously know, Resident Evil was, and is, designed to be a horror series. It quite clearly is meant to be a horror film (tbh, the games do a much better job at it than the movie), and its an enjoyable film, if not totally successfully. I'm eagery awaiting the sequel.

btw, that's the tryant in the box aint it? I was having a conversation with a geek, and he says "oh no, that's just the hunters in them cages"... however, although its a long time since I saw the movie, I'm almost certain the 'thing' in the box had a heart on its shoulder, which as every geek should know is trademark tyrant (is it the H strain in RE1, I forget?)

its horror... so instead doing alot of crap talk, remove this post from sci-fi now... so it dosent confuse anyone no more...
d0c
The Ninth Passenger

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun May 30, 2004 2:24 pm

i agree with d0c
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun May 30, 2004 6:19 pm

@max, the only reason u agree is because it totally negates your alien arguement :lol:

and d0c, "confuse", wtf would it confuse when it precisely explains why it is a horror and why it can be classed by its subgenre as scifi, as it appears on imdb? ;)

Or are you meaning the topic and not post? The topic stays because resident evil is quite clearly scifi in origin. Without the scifi, it would never be about a virus that kills and reanimates the dead, and it would never be a flat out horror film from there on out. Just a chick in a mansion for 2hrs :lol: Same applies to the Thing, and to Alien, without the aliend, they wouldn't be the clear horror films that they are.

The rule of thumb @ dead-donkey, is because it is everything and anything that is genre related, even if its remotely that genre, then it is allowed :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun May 30, 2004 6:38 pm

@max, the only reason u agree is because it totally negates your alien arguement

actually i agree with d0c because hes right, saying "would you think resident evil is stilla horror film if it didnt have zombies" is rideculous... it HAS got zombies in, just by saying what if it didnt doesnt change the facts its a horror movie not scifi, and with chemical and biological stuff the way it is doesnt make it scifi at all, makes it more closer to something military/action style like something tom clancy would write about biological warfare (as thats why umbrella created the virus in teh first place as a bio weapon, so tehre is nothing at all that makes resident evil science fiction, theyre my guns and by jove im sticking to them
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun May 30, 2004 7:04 pm

First zombies have f*ck all (or very little) to do with anything here, I haven't mentioned them anywhere and I don't see how its valid here. The thing that is valid is what the movies are about, RE is a 'survival horror game' thats translated into a, slightly naff, 'survival horror film'. Zombies or not (which he doesn't actually mention btw). I AM NOT SAYING WHAT IF FFS! :lol: Please undersand, what if has nothing to do with anything What's there does. The only time I hear this what if is when you said "what if you take the alien out of aliens", I'm sorry but the alien is in alien, you can't take stuff away from it unless you make a different film (unless your analysising film composition of course), there are zombies in RE obviously.

What I am saying is despite RE being a blatant horror film, its background story is about a multinational corporation that develops a genetic virus that kills, mutates and reanimates the living. Set in an underground laboratory, with a psychopathic homosidal computer, 'running the show'.

I'm sorry, and linked with this and regarding your argument in particular not d0cs, but arguing Alien is a scifi because its set in space, and then at the same time RE can't be a scifi because it has zombies in it, is totally oxymoronic in my view, you can't stick to your guns in this case because, if you view Alien as a sci-fi movie because it has a background scifi setting, you have to view RE in the same light, due to its "eastablising" sci-fi subgenre. Even in the face of blatant horror genres on both counts, the scifi is still very clear. That's how it appears :(

All this is stupid anyway, because there's no denying the fact:
a) its about an impossible engineered virus that kills and reanimates supersoldiers
b) its set in a laboratory owned by a futuristic moralless multinational corporation with a murderous computer hell bent on keeping the virus contained it
is quite clearly science fiction in tone, even though I agree it should be classified as a horror film primarily because that's what its about. ;) However, this is site is about anything and everything scifi :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby mw2merc on Sun May 30, 2004 7:25 pm

Bah! :evil: SciFi/Horror still counts as SciFi, not just :matrix: Horror.
"I put the KILL, in SKILL!!!"
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun May 30, 2004 7:33 pm

Exactly my good fellow, just like over at dead-donkey, horror/scifi still counts as horror and is fine to be posted. :)

I think here, its the fact that its a Horror/scifi rather than a scifi/horror (I know you were just seperating genres there, but I'm justing pointing out what d0c and max are talking about) they are caught up on, but its a total none issue cos its still got a scifi presence unless you sleep through the movie and only wake up to watch some scream/die then go back to sleep.

How that's confusing confuses me though :lol:

ps. This deep routed rivalry (:lol:) about Alien is giving the movie one genre description only, it would be retarded just to say no "its not a horror film because its scifi", or "its not a scifi movie because its a horror" because its obviously set in space so has to be scifi. But in the same case its a typical, yet spectacular (infact the best), monster movie at its heart and this is the primary purpose of the movie in my view. Its meant to scare you, not make you say "wow a spaceship" :mrgreen:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby mw2merc on Sun May 30, 2004 7:39 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:Exactly my good fellow, just like over at dead-donkey, horror/scifi still counts as horror and is fine to be posted. :)

Exactly! :)

spudthedestroyer wrote:I think here, its the fact that its a Horror/scifi rather than a scifi/horror (I know you were just seperating genres there, but I'm justing pointing out what d0c and max are talking about) they are caught up on, but its a total none issue cos its still got a scifi presence unless you sleep through the movie and only wake up to watch some scream/die then go back to sleep.

How that's confusing confuses me though :lol:

Sometimes I think they go too far, especially d0c! :lol:
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun May 30, 2004 7:52 pm

lol yeah, but he has PMT :mrgreen:

Anyway, I think this is enough bumps for this topic... it isn't even that good a movie :-o
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun May 30, 2004 8:11 pm

i think theres jsut 2 schools on teh subject, one thinks re horror-alien scifi, and one that thinks re scifi-alien horror

either way i know what i think about them both, and i think we should leave it as that as i cant be bothered anymore. no1s gonna win as i think were all too stubborn :roll:

a) its about an impossible engineered virus that kills and reanimates supersoldiers

is it impossible? ive created it :lol:

b) its set in a laboratory owned by a futuristic moralless multinational corporation with a murderous computer hell bent on keeping the virus contained

nice description of the mpaa and major record/movie companies :twisted:

The only time I hear this what if is when you said "what if you take the alien out of aliens"

which ive never actually said ever

i still think the huge corporation making biological virii for military applications are more a tom clancy related thing but thats jsut me and like i sed before we both have different views so lets jsut leave it at that, coz its jsut getting to the childish bickering stage now, if u wanna call it scifi u can and if me n d0c wanna call it horror we can, fair enough?
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby mw2merc on Sun May 30, 2004 8:25 pm

maxpayne2409 wrote:is it impossible? ive created it :lol:

Sha, right!

maxpayne2409 wrote:nice description of the mpaa and major record/movie companies :twisted:

Not to mention almost EVERY major company out there, and lawyer firms of course. 'Let's stick it to the little man' syndrome I guess.

maxpayne2409 wrote:
The only time I hear this what if is when you said "what if you take the alien out of aliens"

which ive never actually said ever

Somehow I think he meant me when I was talking about Alien. Let alone I said SciFi out of SciFi/Horror. Since the Alien is SciFi, w/o it, you couldn't have the Horror. But taking the Horror out of it, it'd still be SciFi.

Anyways, SciFi/Horror, or Horror/SciFi is both, no matter what's listed first.
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun May 30, 2004 8:29 pm

The difference here is that his virus don't reanimate the dead to make a breed of genetic supersoldiers to deploy and sale for huge profit and to establish a solidified world dominating mega-corporation, they (a bunch of terrorists) just plan to wipe out millions of people. However in some cases, its not strictly non-scifi. Take rainbow six, the terrorist in that plan to release a virus to wipe out the earth's population and then fill it with "gentically superior" people. There are no pshycopathic computers in his work, no living dead reanimated by a virus and no underground secret laborities beneath a city, with scientists secretly working on bioligical agents and other rediculous potions :)

ps. take a look at some of the technical impossibilities in clancy's novels btw, or their futuristic setting in some cases (ie. rainbow six)... you might be surprised about the setting ;)

if u wanna call it scifi u can and if me n d0c wanna call it horror we can, fair enough?

Depends, take a look at this and then see:
its horror... remove this post from sci-fi now...

i agree with d0c
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun May 30, 2004 8:46 pm

lol i didnt see that bit that d0c put about removing it, but neway im past caring lol, incidently i try to avoid rainbow 6 (the game put me way off)

altho i do agree with spuds post about this film has had enough bumping as its not even that good neway

i wanna play more re games thats what i wanna play
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby mw2merc on Sun May 30, 2004 8:50 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:Depends, take a look at this and then see:
its horror... remove this post from sci-fi now...

i agree with d0c

Yeah!

maxpayne2409 wrote:i wanna play more re games thats what i wanna play

Me too! ME TOO!!!!! Only on PC really, I get sick of console specific ones. Damn I love good emulators. :twisted:
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

PreviousNext

Return to High Quality Section