Tumannost Andromedy (1967) (The Andromeda Nebula)

Verified - Quality retail DVDRips. Xvid or DivX. If its non-retail, poorly mastered or if the rip is low-q, please post in low-q section. Lower quality DVD-rips may be moved to ensure high quality in this section. No VCDs or unverified releases in this section please.

Moderator: Movie Mods

Tumannost Andromedy (1967) (The Andromeda Nebula)

Postby valja on Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:26 pm

Sci-Fi (1967)

IMDB

Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to see a dubbed or subtitled (in English) version of this Russian film. However, I consider "Tumannost Andromedy" ("The Andromeda Nebula") as one of the best sci-fi flicks dealing with space exploration, regardless. The plot, being very similar to another East European film, the Czech "Ikarie XB1, is about a long-duration spaceflight to a nearby star, Epsilon Tucanea [or something, like that], in the year 3000.

The spaceship interior, just like in "Ikaria", is very well-designed (there is even a swimming pool in the recreation hall], and once the astronauts land on a dark planet, the film features excellent special effects. The film's ludicrous and bombastic communist ideology should be overlooked, but the story [by A. Yefremov, who was also a planetologist by trade, so he really knew about astronomy and space] is rather intriguing. It is also nice to see the future Earth, where the air and waters are clean, and people live in harmony. (Nowadays, especially when seeing the contemporary cinema, it probably sounds rather corny - unfortunately...)

It seems, however, that this film is only the first of a planned two-part sequence ("Part 1: Prisoners of the Iron Star" [in Russian, of course] is being clearly stated at the beginning of the film), and the second part was never finished - probably because of the film's unfavourable reception. Nevertheless, I have found this film being very unique and atmospheric, even in its unfinished form and with its original language. (In used bookstores, the book ["Andromeda - A Space Age Tale"], upon which the film was based, is widely available.)

(From IMDB user comments)

ed2k: Tumannost_Andromedy_(rus).avi  [699.93 Mb] [Stats]
ed2k: Tumannost_Andromedy_(rus).ENG.sub  [31.9 Kb] [Stats]

File: 699.93MB (733 933 568 byte)
Length: 1h 08m 04s
Video: 25.000fps, 624x272, DivX 5, 1303Kbps
Audio: 48.0KHz, MPEG Layer-3, 128Kbps CBR, stereo
Language: russian
Subtitles: english

Screenshots:

The rip above is almost 7 min shorter than IMDB shows (and about 2 min longer than old TV-rip here). There are cut small pieces here and there (from some seconds up to 2min). I have also "full" version (1h 15min), but it has low quality, a couple of scenes are hardly visible.

English subtitles are created by me. English is not my native laguage, but I did my best. May be a couple of remarks will help understanding:

"anameson" - the word, invented by I.Efremov (author of novel) - it is fuel, used by "Tantra", "Sail" etc.
"Good day!" (instead of "Hello!", "Good morning" etc) sounds strange even in russian, probably authors wanted to create atmosphere of far future, where language is slightly changed. Even instead of just handshaking we see another gestures.
Part of "Sail" logfile sounds as just a set of single, not connected words. The same is in russian - the astronaut is scared and has no time to speek distinctly.

[ Add all 2 links to your ed2k client ]
valja
Having trouble with tribbles

Re: Tumannost Andromedy (1967) (The Andromeda Nebula)

Postby kggf on Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:25 pm

Thanks for this, Sounds interesting, downloading.
kggf
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby Truba on Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:43 pm

nothing special
Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world.
Truba
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby elanze on Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:15 am

Love soviet era sci-fi, this is a serious one
elanze
Owns a Genesis Device

Return to High Quality Section